advertisement

What was your Hi-Fi System in 1989?

@Miss Ariel Have you bettered that 1989 system? 😁

Hi Salamander
Yeah definitely better with getting the Mags and how their timbre and separation and transient speed and totally non fatiguing sound.
I also love my Rega Saturn-r CD player and its so engaging and the first CD player I just enjoy playing CDs compared to others were they sounded hard and glassy.
I see you have 57's so we are on the same page with panels
So it's an improvement on the journey.
And you has your system evolved and are you happy with it ?
Wishing you a good day mate

@Miss Ariel I'm pleased you improved your system, my comment was tongue in cheek, you had a great system back then. My Quads are to be swopped today, they are lovely speakers, unfortunately to large for my room. I'm happy with the system as it stands now, it's the 2nd system in our household. I went down the LP12/Naim path, eventually ending up with Obelisks. Just wished I'd known what i know now about amps, even though I was using Naim 135's, they really weren't up to driving the Obs.
Hope it's a brighter day for you down south, it's not great at the moment Up North.

Thanks Salamander
It's definitely a journey isn't it
The irony I sometimes think about when we get much older our hearing might be in decline and we won't be able to hear those high frequencies as we did ...always liked your Avater....locomotive breath...say no more

I had a 70s collection of Sansui 331 receiver, Keesonic Kub speakers and a Trio turntable, might have been a 1033. All liberated from my parents when I went to uni. Joined at end of 1989 by a Technics 18-bit CD player

I suspect some of it may still be in a corner of my brother's house.

A 50% share in the system owned and built with my twin brother built over a few years. LP12, Syrinx PU2, Koetsu Black (I think), DNM 2A, Roberson 4010, Magneplanar MG11a. I have a magazine somewhere where I was in around that time 'New Hifi Sound' So I can check if I find it !
Amazing system. I hope you lived very close to each other!

@Miss Ariel Have you bettered that 1989 system? 😁

I did love that system the vocals were in my weary memory really impressive, layered recordings like some of the early stones with backing female vocal was amazing. It was only playing very loud with high dynamics that showed up the maggies. BUT I'd have that system back as it was uber musical and I loved it. I always dreamt of using the Roberson and DNM with a pair of SMGa's in a smaller room like an office or something !

Amazing system. I hope you lived very close to each other!

We lived in the same house post Uni for a few years. I just found my copy of New HiFi Sound 1986 which we were in as the 'armchair Enthusiast' and that system we must have had since 1986 , thinking back it was before Uni living at home we built it up, with lots of weekend and holiday jobs.

He now has the original LP12, we upgraded the Koetsu Black for a Red and I still have that, the DNM and Roberson and Maggie's were sold at some point. We did buy the first pair of Definitive Audio's Living Voice Tone Scouts which I still have :) he missed out on that one (too big so I had them at a good deal in the early 2000's) We are still fighting over records !

1989? Could be a year out or so but l think it was ;

AR EB101 T/T /Linn k9 cartridge.
Cambridge Audio CD2.
Cambridge Audio A75/C75 Pre and power amplifier.
Heybrook HB1 loudspeakers.

No isolation or fancy pants cables. :)

LP12, BASIK+,K9?, Onix OA20, Rega Ela

Makes me realise that I haven’t changed much from the basic system - still have and use the LP12, OA20 and Ela (OA20 now used in study/computer system - great little amplifier). Mind you, children and mortgage changed my spending habits for quite a few years :)

edit: whoops that was upgraded system (about 4 years later 😊), would have been Mission 710 speakers, Quantum 102/203D and Rega planar 2 (wood surround).

STD305M/Ultracraft AC30/Nag MP11
NAD 3020
Technics CD player & cassette deck
Mission 700
A random mix of early-80s budget favourites, fronted by a shiny Scottish TT and Japanese unipivot, system synergy was an alien concept to me (and probably still is TBH).

1989 was the year I turned down the offer of an LP12/Basik at cost from a mate who worked for a Linn dealer, but with the imminent arrival of Child A, I figured I'd got enough potential neuroses to keep me going for the ensuing 35 +years... ;)

Rock/Excaliber/Supex 900
Pink Triangle Pip11/Threshold S/200
Pink Triangle Cardinal/Da Capo
Celestion SL600

I've still got the SL600's in a second system in my workshop. The rest are all long gone

advertisement

Back