I really can't remember what I had in 89 but a few years on I had

Quad 77 CD
Quad 77 Pre
2 x Quad 77 Power
Plus remote
B&W DM603

End of my university days... ...
Linn Axis
Heybrook HB1 or 2, don't remember which one but would have been the cheaper option, purchased in '84 from Grahams in London (Angel tube stop iirc)
Quad 33 power amp and an unkown pre-amp with separate power box, both looked pretty heath robinson but sginificant step up from my previous A&R A60.
Aiwa cassette and a Sony tuner.

Many hours of listening when I should really have been doing other things!

I can't remember exactly when but it was around then I think it was this?

Rega Planar something? With K9 cartridge,
Arcam Delta 270 CD Player,
Arcam Delta 90 integrated Amplifier,
Rogers LS7t Speakers,
Misc cables?

Had this for quite a while before embarking on a long Linn journey of endless (some might say pointless)
upgrades and improvements.🤔

Technically it was my dad's, but a Pioneer stacking system with turntable, tuner and tape deck, integrated amp and all housed in one of those very eighties-esque tower cabinets. I recall it sounding very good, although that was from the perspective of a teenager who liked loud and bassy over anything more sophisticate...

From memory:

AR Legend TT, Basik arm, P77 cart
Ion Obelisk 2
Sony Pro Walkman
Technics CD
Heybrook Point Fives

Sounded bloody wonderful. I'm not sure I've bettered it by much in all the comings and goings in the intervening years...

Dual CS505-2 Deluxe
Yamaha A-07 amplifier
Wharfedale Diamond 2

Played to death in Manchester and in my Morecambe bedsit.

'89 - That's easy, I was on assignment in Johannesburg, and not wishing to be there without something to listen to, I contacted Chris Brooks and asked him to suggest a system that could be easily 'shipped out' - but it had to include a Nakamichi CR7E.
We agreed on a Rega Planar 3 c/w Elys cartridge, an Ion 3X, a Creek T40, and a pair of Royd Edens, plus the aforementioned CR7E.
After I returned the 3X was changed to a 3X + X-Pak1. The T40 was changed to an Ion FMT1, and I replaced the Planar 3 with a Roksan Xerxes + Artemiz + Chorus Black.
How I wish I hadn't sold everything in 2011 - DOH!!
Regards
Mike K.

LP12 (bought new in 1983), Ekos Mk1, K9 (or maybe Stilton Nagaoka MP11 Boron)
NVA P50/A40
Denon DCD-1500 Mk2
Epos ES14

Not a bad system at all. I wonder how that Denon CD player would acquit itself now - probably quite well.

At around that time, I visited Stilton Audio when they had an event for the new Linn LK1/LK2 amplifier system. Those amps were possibly the most frightful things that I've heard, even to this day, but Stilton Audio also put on the NVA pre-power amp for comparison. One chap came up to me afterwards and asked what I thought of the NVA amps, which sounded genuinely lovely, so I told him so. That was the late Richard Dunn and shortly afterwards I bought the NVA P50/A40 which served well for many years.

Yes I had a demo of the new Linn amps and they were shockingly bright into Briks. The other amps were Exposure 6/7/8 which I bought despite the disapproval of the demonstrator. I had them for 20 years

Dual CS505-1
Denon DCD610
Nakamichi BX1
Musical Fidelity A1
Heybrook HB1
Speaker stands made to my design by a former Sunderland shipyard welder
Solid core mains cable for the speaker connection
Sony MDR51 headphones, which I sadly broke only a year ago.

Only the BX1 and MDR51's came to university. The BX1 headphone output had no level control so I bought a box of bits from Tandy and soldered myself one up. The guy in Tandy sketched the circuit up for me, how things have changed.... customer service

Nakamichi 582 deck
NAD tuner
Sony CD player ( the middle model , 500 ? )
Quad preamp
Tandberg power amp ( what happened to them ? )
Quad ESL 63

LP12/Ittok/K9
Audiolab 8000A amp
Linn Helix speakers
Phillips CD472 cd player
Pioneer tuner
Target rack and speaker stands
Great times they were too.

Sugden A48 + T48
Radford Monitor 180 speakers
Thorens TD160 super with Syrinx LE1 and Stanton 881S

Somewhat amazingly all, except the T48, are still in use in one or another of my, too many, systems

Sony radio cassette player with 'mega bass' which accompanied me to Coventry poly during my first attempt at a degree (quit after a term).
This is the same model:

The crap bass driver at the rear made a horrible rattly farting noise if you turned the volume up too far, so actually not very mega at all.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sony radio cassette player with 'mega bass' which accompanied me to Coventry poly during my first attempt at a degree (quit after a term).
This is the same model:

The crap bass driver at the rear made a horrible rattly farting noise if you turned the volume up too far, so actually not very mega at all.
When I was at Newcastle Poly, I had a JVC ghetto blaster.

It was pretty good, had Dolby B, and you could crank it right up without distorting.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
When I was at Newcastle Poly, I had a JVC ghetto blaster.

It was pretty good, had Dolby B, and you could crank it right up without distorting.
A classier bit of kit than mine 👍
Are you tempted to buy that one for a trip down memory lane?

I'm not sure what I was running in '89. It might've been the Townshend Rock 2/ Kuzma Stogi/ Ortofon MC30 (or possibly an AT OC9) with Hi-fi Answers (really Audio Innovations) Edison One and Twelve valve pre/ power amps, and either my DIY Jordan J125-based speakers, or a pair of modified Wharfedale Diamond MK1s on Cornflake Shop cage stands.

Or it could've been a Roksan Xerxes/ SME V/ OC9, an Ortofon or AT transformer, a Sugden C28 and a Robertson 4010 and some speakers- I've forgotten which ones. Maybe another DIY design. Things moved pretty fast back then, as I was still working at a hi-fi accessory shop on Tottenham Court Road and there was a lot of interesting stuff about, either second-hand, at trade price, or swaps and deals with friends.

advertisement

Back