advertisement

What was your Hi-Fi System in 1989?

I was 15 at the time and if i remember correctly it was my father's hand-me-down setup plus my uncle's turntable consisting of:

- Garrard 301/SME3009/Shure M75EDII turntable
- Eagle International TSA-151 amplifier
- Eagle International AA-8 tuner
- Eagle International AA-20 speakers
- Technics RS-263US cassette deck

I also had a Yamaha CD-29 CD player but that was downstairs in my dad's system.

19 at the time - I had meridian 200, dpa dac, 72\140\hicap and epos es11 speakers.
stayed like that for at least 12 years.....

Voyd, Helius Orion, Audionote Cartridge & transformer, Audio Innovations P2 Phono, home built SET using WE300As, Lowther Audiovector Auditorium speakers.

Nad 3130, Mission 737Rs, Kenwood tuner, Ariston Q-Deck, Marantz CDP & a Panasonic HiFi VCR (my most used source!)

While I was investigating herbs in South East Asia my Quad 44, Revox B795, Philips MFB boxes, Yamaha CT-610 tuner was in storage (can't remember what cassette deck I had, maybe a Pioneer).
A year later I had added a Philips CD-615 (touted by a local Linn reseller (who btw introduced me to his herbarium) as a good budget CD player) and my second Revox A77, but that's another story.

Pioneer PL112D turntable with Ortofon VMS 1DE cartridge
Pioneer SA5300 Amp
Yamaha CDX5 (just squeaked in as I got this my first CD player in 1989)
Sony TC118SD cassette deck
Acoustic Research AR7X speakers

Harman Kardon Receiver (don't recall which one)
Mission 737R on homemade stands
Sony PRO WMD6C Walkman as cassette deck
Thorens TD160B MK II (upgraded to SUPER with Bitumen)
Moerch UP4 tonearm + Ortofon MC200 + Ortofon T20
No CD-player

My Naim days didn't happen until 1993 with Nac 62 + Nap 140 + Hicap and an Ortofon MC30 Super Mkii.

Pioneer PL12D turntable with Shure M95ED cartridge & ATC head shell, Pioneeer SX535 receiver and Celef Monitor speakers. I also had a Pioneer top loading cassette deck, although I don't recall the model number.
I still have the Celef speakers that still work fine but they are on a break from active service at present. My youngest son still has the PL12D and is still in use.

LP12/valhalla/mission 774, denon dl305 vdh, Ps audio 4 phono with hcps, musical fidelity doc thomas shoebox and rogers export monitors.

Rgds
Stuart

I keep meaning to post here but, in all honesty, I have absolutely no idea what my setup was back then. It might have been when I had NS1000's but I can't remember what amp I had back then or which CD player or TT. Fast forward a few years though and I have a good idea. Maybe we need a new thread - What was your hi-fi system in 1993?

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green..
Now look what you've done.... got me feeling all nostalgic dammit.

"And green and golden I was huntsman and herdsman, the calves
Sang to my horn, the foxes on the hills barked clear and cold, "

Just some old fart now. :)

Elite Rock Mk2 with plinth and lid
Excalibur Tonearm*
Audio Technica OC7
Musical Fidelity A100
Mission PCM 4000 cd player ( a 7000 without the remote control)
Musical Fidelity Reference 4 speakers **

*Dropped a weight on the Excalibur and bent the headshell. Dealer suggested I bought a replacement tonearm (£500!!) Max Townsend Repaired it for £50 .... bless his heart.
**These were shite. Martin Colloms designed them. I never forgave him and I never bought stand mount speakers again.

IMG-1186.jpg
IMG-1183.webp

An Aiwa midi system with JBL speakers.

advertisement

Back