advertisement

What was your Hi-Fi System in 1989?

Rega Planar 3, NAD 3240 PE (Might still have been a 3020i though), small Warfdale Speaker that were horrible and replaced by Mission Cyrus 780SE a year or so later. All on Sound Organisation stands.

Linn Axis with K9, Naim NAC62, NAP90, Linn Index speakers on Index tripod stands and Sony TC204SD cassette deck. Also, sometimes used, Quad FM2 tuner, I still have this..............somewhere in the loft.

I was 18, turning 19 in 1989 and still had my first student system incl;
- Sony FH-15R compact component system w/ the optional CDF-7F CD player
- Infinity Reference One bookshelf speakers
That was a pretty humble system compared to some of the systems posted above, but it sounded surprisingly powerful, was a joy to use & sung with the better Infinity speakers.

Last edited:
1989 was just before I started getting into proper hifi, so my system was a hotch potch of various bargain basement Japanese separates:

Technics SLD-303 turntable, Lasky's sale, £60.
Sony TA-AX2 amplifier from Dixon's in Eldon Square in Newcastle, where they piled loads of random stuff on the floor, £40 (originally got an Amstrad receiver, but it buzzed like hell, so took it back).
Pioneer CTF-500 cassette deck, in a local shop for £75, got it for £60, as that is all I had, so they took it. Was very nice
Nikko NT790 tuner, £20 in Lasky's sale. Looked like a repair return, had some screws missing ! It was brilliant, would pick up Hull radio stations from Nottingham.
And some sort of Celestion speakers, not sure what or how much.

Ariston RD80-SL
LINN LVX
Goldring 1042
Nakamichi BX300E
Philips 104 CD (possibly)
Quad 34
Quad 405-2
Tangent XLR
NACA4

I hadn’t spotted it before but that was almost all British made kit. I’d had it all from 1983/4 apart from the 1042.

Still using the 405-2 with a different 34. Gave the XLR2s to a mate the other year and they still sound excellent.

Fairly sure in 1989 my set up was

Rega Planar 3 with an Audio Technica cart (can't remember the model but it had a gold coloured metal body)
Creek 4140s2
Royd Seven
QED speaker cable.
Probably on a Target 2 tier table and Target speaker stands.

Loved that little system

Yamaha AX 300
Yamaha CDP with sprung disc support (why?!)
A rather funky looking AIWA cassette deck with console style buttons
Wharfefale Delta 1 speakers

Classic student system for a student and first job. it sounded excellent at the time blowing my parents bulky AKAI stack system into the weeds.

Rega Planar 3
Quad 77 CD
Quad 77 Pre
Quad 77 Power X 2
Yamaha KX580SE Tape I think
B&W DM603S2
Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 I think

il_794xN.5628988712_5zwv.jpg

It really needed a low mass shelf to sound its best.
Haha! This reminds me that my first hifi was not the Yamaha system I mention above. When I was a kid I had a record player in a suitcase that belonged to my parents in their younger days. I had four single records two from Rolf Harris " Two Little Boys" and "Jake the Peg" , Disney The jungle book with story book and an ultra thin red noddy record that came in a pack of Ricicles! Its amazing I still have a love of music after this early diet.....

Quad ESL 63, Tandberg 3012 integrated, 3001 Tuner, Denon CD player- don’t remember the model number, Thorens 126/Misson 774/Shure V15, Revox A77, Revox and Teac cassette decks.

A 50% share in the system owned and built with my twin brother built over a few years. LP12, Syrinx PU2, Koetsu Black (I think), DNM 2A, Roberson 4010, Magneplanar MG11a. I have a magazine somewhere where I was in around that time 'New Hifi Sound' So I can check if I find it !

DNM and Robertson 4010 .I remember the Robertson had a great reputation back in the day.
Memories a funny thing but I vaguely remembered reading about your system in New Hi Fi sound .
I used to devour magazines back then
That was some system you had back then
I have finally got some Maggies 1.7 I ' s and very pleased with them in my system .
What has your system evolved to now ?

Mine back then was
Xerxes - Artemiz - Shiraz - Artexerxes
Bryston 0.5 and 2B power amp
Acoustic Energy AE 1

advertisement

Back