advertisement

What was your Hi-Fi System in 1989?

Aged 28 and back living with my parents for a while, IIRC;

Fons CQ30/Grace 707 (changed to LP12/Akito/K18 in 1990/1)
Exposure X
Keesonic Supercubs

My first 'proper' system - low end but Hi Fi
Dual CS505
Denon CD player
Rotel RA820
Mordant Short speakers (small bookshelf ones I forget which)
Lin Kan II stands

Linn Sondek Basic Plus and AT OC9
Linx Quasar integrated Amp
Monitor Audio 852 speakers
Sony auto reverse cassette deck

Aiwa Walkman

Aiwa boombox

LP12 Valhalla
Ittok LVIII/K18
Nytech Pre/Power
ARC050 Speakers

The speakers were replaced by Linn KAN II s few years later, together with one of the first Lingos (which I still have).
Sorry no pics

LP12/Ittok/Troika; Exposure 6/Dual 7/Super 8; Isobariks.

In January 1989, I transferred it from our home in Ealing to a larger room in the 300-year old house we now live in, and sounded great.

Two years later, the Lingo and Ekos arrived, and a Dual 4 power amp. 'Better', but the balance of that 1989 system was somehow lost.

None of it remains.

If memory serves me well, my 1989 system was:

Audio-Analyse PA60 (French integrated amp)
Nakamichi CDP-2 CD-player
Magnepan SMG-A speakers.

(no pics I'm afraid)

Rega Planar 3, RB 300, Grado Platinum Signature
B&K ST-140 power amp, Superphon Revelation Basic preamp
Spectrum 208c speakers (from Toledo, Ohio - long out of business). Basic 2-way, but satisfyingly musical.
Some crappy Denon CD player that would peel paint from the walls. Later replaced by a JVC XL-Z1050 which is still in a friend's system.

My student system from 1980:
Thorens TD160B Mk2 / SME 3009
A&R Cambridge A60 (black wooden case)
Acoustic Research AR 93 speakers
Plus new-ish Denon DCD500.

I used the same system until 1999 when I gave it to my dad, and it's mostly still working after a few repairs here and there.

My mid 80’s was,

Dual CS505
A&R A60 in wood
Rogers LS7 before that small Celestions.

By 89 it would of included a Philips cd player and a 2nd hand Nakamichi tape deck.

it didn’t sound brilliant but much better than friends stack systems, I was more interested in skate boarding, that’s where the money went.

I was living in Norway at the time. Speakers were SEAS units in a heavy concrete enclosure. Amp was a McIntosh, very tasty, I made the valve phono stage myself and it sounded brilliant, record player was a Decca Gold in a Hadcock arm on a big Thorens turntable. One of my best systems over the years. Gave a lot of pleasure to everyone who heard it.

I was a student at the time. I had a cobbled together system which is very vintage now, but was a bit naff back then. A B&O 1200 turntable, with a B&O beomaster 3000, driving a pair of celestion DL8s, which was the only bit that cost any money. I guess I should have had some matching speakers for a full 70s retro thing, but I wasn't really aware of that, just wanted to be able to play my records and this worked well.

Modified AR XA turntable
Rega RB300 tonearm
Koetsu Black cartridge
Denon stepup transformer
Modified Magnavox (Philips) CD-650 CD player
Modified Dynaco PAS-2 preamp
Dynaco MkIII amplifiers
Quad ESLs

I was living in Norway at the time. Speakers were SEAS units in a heavy concrete enclosure.

A friend in France has some speakers like that. No idea what they are, but he says they're Norwegian. He bought them from a dealer in Toulon. They're a moderate bookshelf speaker size, but "landscape" format rather than the standard "portrait".

I've known him for over 35 years. The system's changed, but the speakers have always stayed. They sound bloody good ! I wonder if they're the same as the ones you had.

advertisement

Back