Ion obelisk Xpac 3 Amplifier
Royd Eden on Kan 2 stands

All purchased at the time from Chris Brooks audio Warrington

It skint me at the time

As I was afraid of not following the Jones'es it was:
- LP12/Ekos/Lingo/Troika
- LK1/LK2
- Sara
Probably an Aiwa cassette for recording to the car.

MISSION DAD7000 CD-Player
MISSION ISO-PLAT support
PLINIUS 2C Line Preamp
PLINIUS 3C Poweramp
CRYSTAL Speaker Cables
B&W DM220 Loudspeakers

I’ve still got the pale blue/grey Crystal Speaker Cables and they still sound great, but these days, they battle it out with super-skinny DNM cables.

I never enjoyed the B&W Loudspeakers.

I still don’t enjoy B&W loudspeakers… 😂

Thorens TD160, SME arm, Ortofon MM cartridge
Philips cd player - can’t remember the model although it was the only hifi item stolen in a burglary
Creek CS4040 amp
Rotel RT300 AM/FM tuner
Rega ELA Mk2 speakers

No picture but: Thorens TD160 + Shure V15IVMR, Kaneda preamp, Ampliton TS3000 valve amp, DIY FM tuner, Technics cassette deck, Micromega CD player, Daline (Focal) speakers.

Last edited:
Roksan xerxes Rega rb300 goldring eroica
Naim nait 2
Royd Edens ( replaced by AE1’s)
Only the arm remains but I’d love to hear that system in my room now

By the end of 1989 I got 21 and was in fourth-year college.

Dual CS-5000 with Denon DL-301
Sony CD-P670
Nakamichi CR-2
Cyrus One
BNS Quintet speakers (probably)

I didn’t make a separates move till 1991. I had:

Arcam Alpha 3
Marantz CD52 Mkii
Denon TU 260L
Mission 751 bi-wired

Bought from Doug Brady in Warrington. Happy days.

In 1989 I think it was:

Thorens TD160 + SME 3009 Series II improved fixed headshell + FD200 damper + AKG P8ES
Philips CD303
Quad FM4 + 34 + 405-2 integrated stack *
Celestion Ditton 25

* A Quad competition win :D for answering several music quizzes from their adverts in BBC proms concert programmes across the season a couple of years earlier, replacing a Leak 2200 and a Yamaha CT-1000

1988 I moved from a LP12 Quad system in a flat to a new system in a bedsit.

So in 1989
LP12 Ittok Trak Target stand
Exposure 6/7/8 Target stand
Monitor Audio R852MD on Heybrook HBS1 stands
NAC A4 , Exposure interconnect and captive mains leads

I enjoyed that system for 20 years, it rocked. I still use the Heybrook stands in a two bedroom flat.

Pioneer S9000 top of the line midi system with some Elac EL80's. I could have bought so much better for the money, but what did I know. It had a double auto reverse cassette deck that was programmable. I thought that was cool, but ofcourse it's a bullish#t function. Imagine 10 tracks on one side of a cassette then wanting to listen track 2, then 7, then 1, then 9, etc. The waiting time between tracks was minutes, as a cassette doesn't wind that fast. Totally useless function, what was I thinking... I was also very fond of graphic equalizers, mainly because of the lights. I added a pretty expensive Onkyo equalizer (EQ 840 I think) later on. Three years later I sold the bunch for a Rotel RC/RB 870 and the real journey began.

I had something very similar to this - I think this one was probably the next model up or perhaps the next year's model. Casseiver top deck and the TT below is the same. Came with a pair of Akai speakers my mum had bought for my 18th. It really wasn't too had it until 1996 through force of circumstances

875e3de220b7a06141647596fc7fa957.jpg

LP12 red button, Basik Plus, Ortofon VMS30.2
Sony integrated, Sony tuner (can’t remember the models)
Kef Concorde 4

All bought 2nd hand.

I still have the LP12 and a few bits haven’t changed since 89; the top plate, motor and outer platter…

advertisement

Back