advertisement

What are you listening to right now #8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rod said:
Crikey Joel, 50LP box set! Do have a house / apartment just for your music collection?
Funnily enough that's exactly what my wife says :) The sad truth is that space is *very* limited, so when lots of albums come in a bunch of other albums have to leave. That said, I am suffering from collection creep ;) ATM. Looking around, the PC is obviously taking up far too much space: it will have to go :D

NP Radio 4

I was probably the last PFMite to buy Boards of Canada "The Campfire Headphase" so I'm listening to it now. Good so far...

Jurassic 5 - 5 Alive
Will probably be followed by Ayumi Hamasaki on 12" :D

Bloody tinitus.

'Cos its 3.30am and I've just returned from a world aids day event at my local bar/club where the star guest was '80s diva Hazell Dean - Whooooooooo!

She can still belt em out :)

Oh my head is gonna hurt in the morning........ no make that afternoon :p

Nighty night.

Anderzander said:
I really like it - whats a good album to start with?
Hi Anderzander. I had not actually heard them before, but like a lot of other music that is in their musical area. Ágætis byrjun had been recommended to me, so start there. svefn-g-englar (second track) is awesome, no doubt.

I got the cd in Fopp for £7 (ebay copies tend to go roughly the same price - plus p&p). They also had (), which I might nip back for. Just noticed that it is also available through the website from FatCat Records for £6.99. There is also a sh*tload of live tracks and videos available on the site. I think my broadband is going to take a bit of a battering.

i found () to be entirely disappointing, stick with Ágætis byrjun (hurrah for copy+paste).

andy m said:
i found () to be entirely disappointing, stick with Ágætis byrjun (hurrah for copy+paste).
Cool, I will get a listen first. (I'd be stuffed if it wasn't for copy and paste...)

Boards of Canada- The Campfire Headphase

I've had this on repeat this afternoon. Time will tell how it stacks up versus their previous efforts, though my smiles say it's at least more enjoyable than Geogaddi.

I have some Chess blues stuff, 2 or 3 AlexG-recommended stone cold classics, and a few new well-reviewed titles arriving this week*, so it should be a good one.

(*Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Walter, Etta James, Labradford, Polygon Window, Bedhead, Ulrich Schnauss, Animal Collective, M83 :) )

ErikL: I was probably the last PFMite to buy Boards of Canada "The Campfire Headphase" so I'm listening to it now. Good so far...

No you're not! I haven't got it yet...but I have a day off tomorrow! :D

Now playing: Modern Jazz Quartet - Vol. 1 European Concert

I don't have it either, having been put off by Geogaddi.

Currently : Bach Cello Suites - Heinrich Schiff

Duncan tells me this is some of the finest music ever, and who am I to disagree? It's perfect for a dark, miserable, rainy evening at the end of a very hard day.

AlexG said:
Currently : Bach Cello Suites - Heinrich Schiff

Duncan tells me this is some of the finest music ever, and who am I to disagree? It's perfect for a dark, miserable, rainy evening at the end of a very hard day.
Hmmm! Interesting. I have a difficulty in listening to classical music as a whole, but I do like the sound of very small scale cello / string works, if they are suitably morbid. What should I listen to, apart from a psychiatrist? :)

Rod

I am a complete newcomer to classical music - 12 months ago I had none, now I listen to it approximately 50% of the time.

I'd suggest the one I'm listening to, I also like Elgar's cello concerto (although I'll get panned for this) and NOTHING else by him; the concerto by Saint-Saens is ok and I like the Dvorak one too.

I am possibly the most mainstream person ever, and there are some people here with encyclopeadic knowledge. Duncan is my hero though, and whatever he suggests will be the right thing, IMO.

Small scale is all I can manage too.

that reminds me....must be my turn?

Alex

I'll keep a look out for those. I'll think something up for you as well.

Lordsummit

Was that a recommendation, or what you are currently playing? :)

Peter Malick Group feat. Norah Jones - New York City

Maybe two worthwhile tracks (out of 7) – the two with a bluesier edge. The other five are more of the same. Nothing here shows Norah off the way her duet with Ryan Adams does, which is too bad.

a recomendation. You could also try the adagio from Mahler's 5th symphony. There's also the Albinoni Adagio, a lovely piece. If you want to give the Bach a go get the Starker on Living Presence, it's my favourite version, and very reasonably priced
You could also try the Tchaikovsky string quartet in Bb, that's lovely and also the Schubert Quintet. There's lots of stuff out there, I would start with the Barber (It's the music used in Platoon) If you like any of those give us a shout and I'll suggest some more. Don't worry too much about who's playing, just buy cheap ones, if you like them you can develop taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back