advertisement

What are you listening to right now #8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony L

Administrator
I've been playing the new Boards Of Canada LP Campfire Headphase a lot recently, damn fine, easily their best yet IMHO. It's even got guitars!

Tony.

Spinning recently and good.

Milk-Eyed Mender - Joanna Newsome - Joni Mitchell goes Melanie with a harp.

Summer in the Southeast - Bonnie Prince Billy - live Will Oldham, excellent. The only disappointment being that his speaking voice seems to sound uncannily like Cletus from The Simpsons.

Bitches Brew Sessions Box Set. Only had it for a year, so it was about time I listened to it. Marvellous.

Trey Anastasio - Shine

It's getting panned left and right, but I like it very much. Not one for the jam-band fans, though; this one has actual songs. Unfortunately, it apparently also has the SONY MALWARE COPY PROTECTION that Tony L. warned about; so I can't listen to it at work, which kinda sucks.

I haven't yet checked out the dvd side of the disc.

Edit: and another thing - the sound quality isn't really all that great.

Oh dear, oh dear!

After expecting to enjoy an evening's worth of guitar playing from Robin Trower at the Renfrew Ferry, I find myself at home. The gig was cancelled due to differences between the band / sound engineer and the council-set noise levels. This is the second time this has happened that I know of. The Ferry has been moved from it's previous location, and is now across the river from an apartment complex, which is likely to be the root of the problem. I will be wary of attending a gig here in the future, unless they get the finger out (or move the Ferry up or down stream).

I have consoled myself with Fela Kuti's "The Best Of The Black President". Clouds have been lifted, the sun shines once more. :)

Charles Hayward, Survive the Gesture. Having seen him play live for the first time in a couple of years last week, supporting Faust, I've been listening to a lot of Hayward solo records, and the earlier This Heat and The Camberwell Now LPs too. This is my favourite solo Hayward album, really good songs, thoughtful and affecting.

-- Ian

Guillermo Gregorio, Ellipsis. Quiet, intricate, delicate. Probably best heard on headphones, late at night in the dark. Pleasing though.

-- Ian

The For Carnation - eponymous.

Excellent stuff. Rod I know you like this, so you might also like Bedhead's Transaction de Novo and also Spain's Blue Moods of Spain (although maybe not on this one, I like it a lot though).

James Blunt - Back To Bedlam

...after having seen the lad in concert last night. Entertaining show; of questionable musical merit, but entertaining nonetheless, and the venue (Eugene's Hult Center) is a great, great space. He seems to be a fine young man - even said "Nice to meet you" and such at the post-gig gathering.

'Tis a very good album indeed, in fact, I took the opportunity to nab a copy of "Marshmallows" on ebay recently for a very reasonable price. I believe it was their first e.p. Looking forward to it. I also received Bedhead's "WhatFunLifeWas" which is quite good. I think I mentioned this on the post rock thread. I will look out for "Transaction..."

Spain sound quite interesting. Famous dad too!

the van pelt - stealing from our favourite thieves.

not dug this out for a while, but still as good as ever.

The new Broken Social Scene which finally arrived after several weeks of amazon.co.uk importing something amazon.com has been selling for ages.

One 1st listen, shambolic but promising. Must drink more beer and listen again.

"The For Carnation - eponymous"

Bonus Trivia Factoid : The cover of that album is the indoor swimming pool from Randolph Hearst's house in California. The pool features some 16th C. Italian marble mosaic (or somesuch) which Hearst nought up, shipped over and then bling'd out by adding a tonne of gold leaf.

I know this becuase I once took the exact same photo except mine didn't work due to the challenges of Kodachrome64 in dimly lit interiors without a tripod (which my gf had forbidden me from bringing on the holiday).

His outdoor pool has 3000 year-old Egyptian statues and can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/cwu8n (you don't need a tripod outside in CA even with k64)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Amazon has decided that because I have bought a few things from them that they know what I like (Bob Dylan, Cream???), but I am intrigued about "Widows" by Sennen. Anyone heard this, do they add anything in this field? It is at such a reasonable price that I may be unable to resist for long.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back