advertisement

What are you listening to right now #8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Sae said:
Threw on the Streets Original Pirate Material so I could re-live 2 years ago.

Still fresh. I'm for-ee-fif generation Rowman.
still defnitely stands up for itself.

Pan American - 360 Business / 360 Bypass

Superb album, previously recommended by some knowledgeable chap on here. Dubby ambience at it's best. Kranky strikes again!

Haven taken a couple of days off, and with my wife out for a while, the volume control is currently where I like it best. :)

I've got Delay 1968, Monster Movie, Tago Mago, Ege Bamyesi and of course Cannibalism. I just felt like listening to them in a different order. I do think even though I've got all the tracks on the original records it's one of the best compilations of material I own. I really like Ege Bamyesi, and this week that one is my favourite, but next week it could well be something different

Joel
I finally obtained a copy of Gnawa Diffusion's Algeria cd. It's a bit of a mixed bunch - reggae, jazz-rock, crusty-rock (one track), trad style sounds - but there's some good stuff on there. Worth it for a reduced price, I would say. I need to keep an eye out for Bab El Oued Kingston now.

Magma - "Attahk". Not my fave album from the Mags, but a contender for the nastiest cover ever award. Unless you know differnet, of course....
Cliff

Black Star Liner - Yemen Cutta Connection. Superb Asian Underground album. In fact, since the Asian Underground thread, I have searched out their three albums and have found them all to have been excellent, although I would take this one and Bengali Bantam Youth Experience over the Twelve Inch Confrontation Mix. Pity I missed out on getting the Echo Beach version with extra tracks.

clifftaylor said:
Magma - "Attahk". Not my fave album from the Mags, but a contender for the nastiest cover ever award. Unless you know differnet, of course....
Cliff

Well, you did ask

Now playing: Pelican – Australasia
Cheers Alex, I like!

I haven't forgotten you Rod

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Charlie Parker - Disc 1 from the Boss Bird (Studio recordings 1944-1951) 4 cd box set. Excellent value for £5 :)

SSB - I'm still buyin' them up, Boss!

Sufjan Stevens, Michigan. On first listening, Illinois is better, although I think they're both too long and contain too much filler. <Ducks>

-- Ian

Bad, bad sideshowbob. To your room! ;-)

Was: Afro Cuban All-Stars- A Toda Cuba le Gusta (a bit of a pick-me-up to start the day)
Is: Animal Collective w/ Vashti Bunyan- Prospect Hummer EP (way too short; needs some filler)
Will Be: dunno

sideshowbob said:
Sufjan Stevens, Michigan. On first listening, Illinois is better, although I think they're both too long and contain too much filler. <Ducks>

-- Ian

Yesterday you preferred Monster Movie to Tago Mago, today you shamelessly suggest filler and Illinoise might in some way belong in the same sentence .... verily, SSB, you are becoming the Roy Keane of PFM. :p

Currently: Illinoise - on vinyl!! Arrived today from Asthmatic Kitty. The first new vinyl I've bought in ages. Lovely, lovely, lovely. I think this record gets better as the months pass.

Kevin

Was: The Futureheads- s/t (one of my '04 favs; a bit of a guilty pleasure in the Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, etc mold)
Is: Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings- Naturally (had forgotten about this until Markus' thread triggered me to scan my '05 releases; soulful funk)
Will Be: Studio One something-er-other

kjb said:
today you shamelessly suggest filler and Illinoise might in some way belong in the same sentence

I do think most pop records are too long nowadays. Illinois would be a fantastic LP if it was 30-35 minutes long. Over the >70 minutes it actually runs for there seems to me to be quite a lot of repetition and padding. I suspect Sufjan needs a good editor. I do like his stuff though.

-- Ian

Franco,Sam Mangwana and TP OK Jazz - Sublime, brilliant extraordinary and very sad (since Franco would dead within a year from an AIDS related illness). Franco was simply the greatest guitarist of the lot and his band, TP OK Jazz (motto: on entre OK, on sort KO), was an extraordinary unit even by the elevated standards of the "Two Cities". So much expression, so much feeling allied to that supple drive, so seemingly simple and yet so somplex.
I quite like this one :)

Working my way through today's shopping. So far this evening:
Farewell, Angelena - Joan Baez Good for chilling into the evening. Sometimes a bit of Joan on the deck can make the world a better place
Folk Singer - Muddy Waters Brilliant! Very good recording of some fantastic music
Monk's Blues - Thelonious Monk Must get more Monk, very good and got me groovin' and grining
On my way and shoutin' again - Count Basie and OrchestraGood bit of fun.
Not sure what to play after this finishes? Maybe some Mingus?

joel said:
Franco,Sam Mangwana and TP OK Jazz - Sublime, brilliant extraordinary and very sad (since Franco would dead within a year from an AIDS related illness). Franco was simply the greatest guitarist of the lot and his band, TP OK Jazz (motto: on entre OK, on sort KO), was an extraordinary unit even by the elevated standards of the "Two Cities". So much expression, so much feeling allied to that supple drive, so seemingly simple and yet so somplex.
I quite like this one :)

I like the sound of this. Quelle label guvnor?

-- Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back