advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

Cold skate/balsamic/capers with a roasted tomato/rocket salad. Looking out the window suggests something more rib-sticking would be appropriate, but need to rotate stuff out of the freezer.

Had some bits that needed using up knocking around the fridge, so cobbled up a spiced chicken, butternut squash and black lentil stew, served up on cous cous.
It was proper tasty, even if I do say so myself.

Leek fritters, peas and broccoli.
Two large leeks split down the middle, thinly sliced and reduced in a frying pan for 10 mins. Batter - 100g cheese, 3 eggs, 200g self raising flour, black pepper. Add milk to attain a sloppy consistency. Mix all ingredients together and then pan fry, adding 2-3 spoons of batter, turning every few mins. This takes a while so keep finished fritters in a warm oven before all ready to serve.

We were hipsters tonight.

4putxq.jpg

Reactions: mjw
Ha! I had to do a doubletake on the mushrooms topping that - I thought you were in for an "interesting" evening

inspired by someone on here - a lovely prawn cocktail sandwich with homemade marie rose sauce....

did you grow a beard?

Hope your poached eggs were perfect - i hate cooking them

Love doing poached eggs but i'm obsessive about not breaking the yolk after all the trouble taken cooking them.

Unfortunately my granddaughter caught me putting a whole yolk on the fork over christmas and now does the same.

I love poached eggs. In spring I harvest our tarragon and make half a dozen or more bottles of tarragon vinegar mostly to use when poaching eggs.
Thatcher’s only decent legacy is a breakfast of poached eggs on Marmite toast.

I’ve pulled a couple of squid out of the freezer. I bought them just before Christmas, but over-egged the requirement so froze them instead. Big buggers. Normally, I clean them and sling onto a barbie, but it’s pissing with rain tonight, so I think I’ll slice them up and cook them in a good passata with pots, herbs and garlic. Yum

edit: blimey I’d forgotten how big the first one was. This will keep us going for a few days once cooked!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back