advertisement

What are you cooking tonight?

We’ve just troughed egg, bacon and sausage with chips and beans :) We were going to finish off with some Christmas cake and double cream but decided we’d had enough cholesterol for one day ;)

Made some Branston!

008vxvgGgy1h9k76e3q7rj30u014048s.jpg

Jump to desert.
This is my much modified version of Eccles Cakes. It's based on the acknowledged forerunner of the modern version- 'sweet patties'- published by Elizabeth Raffald in her book 'The English Housewife', published in1769. I have a facsimile in my library, with a charming engraving of her on the front cover stepping through and to the outside of a life size picture frame.

She used calves foot, apples, oranges, nutmeg, egg yolk, currants and french brandy.

I met Lord Eccles in the British Library many decades ago. He was not at all taken with my suggestion that the daily newspaper table subscribe to The Guardian. At the time, only The Times and Financial Times were there. I
LOVE ECCLES CAKES...but not the modern commercial variety.
Perhaps one day my version will be perfected.

Happy New Year to all.

Tonight was Thai green curry, I couldn't find the necessary ingredients to make my own paste and had to make do with those mediocre jars ... so weak in every aspect!

Chicken thighs & drum sticks chopped for natural fat to flavour the curry...

I have another 2 servings but these will improve in flavour overnight, and I may throw in another 2 chillis (with seeds) for good measure.

Cooking up some mash, sprouts and carrots for bubble and squeak tonight, with nut roast and a bit of turkey, to be accompanied by pickled onions and beetroot.

I know what's IN it, but haven't named it yet.
Vaguely Italian / French X over (at 800Hz).
There'll be pasta, white wine, leeks, salmon, cumin seeds, lemon zest, creme fraiche, sweet pepper and a lot of black pepper, olive oil and butter.

I know
someone did it before. Shame, because for a moment there i dreamt I was a godammed genius :)

Jellied eels and roasted toms on a bed of rocket tastefully painted with some posh balsamic vinegar. The real indulgence was the part cooked bread we finished in the 200c fan oven for ten minutes. We intentionally are avoiding a smart meter until EDF come and break the front door down.

Jellied eels and roasted toms on a bed of rocket tastefully painted with some posh balsamic vinegar. The real indulgence was the part cooked bread we finished in the 200c fan oven for ten minutes. We intentionally are avoiding a smart meter until EDF come and break the front door down.
You put the OVEN on? Wow. I hope you huddled around it for warmth while it was running.

advertisement

Back