1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by SteveS1, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

They don’t. Got any examples?

2. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yesterday was all about the optics for Johnson as part of his GE campaign. Brexit objectives remain a combination of incompatible and hugely damaging. So a large chunk of support will not be happy somewhere along the line. Probably Arleen and the Bone squad.

This type of stunt is aimed at the uncomplicated audience he is pitching for. Love the fact that Johnson is doing everything to avoid actually going to Europe personally, wonder why?

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

How many luxury German motors can fit in Coleen Rooney’s basement?

4. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Is this a new euphemism I am unaware of?

eternumviti likes this.
  5. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

An example was tthere up-thread and it prompted me to write my post.

You can look for it yourself.

6. TheDecameron

He’s probably going to get Geoffrey Cox up as his warm up act then use the the session as a live streamed shocker showing Boris as Tribune of the Plebs vs Parliament aka The Elite. He’s so transparently shallow and self-serving, entirely prepared to take the country down with him. I hope the real Churchill gets to his feet and shames him for convening a fake wartime Parliament.

7. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I understand why the company car market relies on a fast turnover of vehicles and the desire to replace old for new but for private buyers the old expression more money than sense comes to mind. According to the RAC there are 32 million cars on the UK's roads - nearly one for every adult.

8. SteveS1

All part of the "people will accept reduced circumstances if they can be convinced they are at war" narrative. Classic Dom. It's all everyone else's fault.

Steven Toy likes this.
  9. SteveS1

I'm not sure what your point is. Some may buy older cars out of a sense of virtue, but I doubt it covers many. As you state here, it's the reduced cost that appeals and makes it a good option.

That quickly goes as a significant incentive if you reduce supply. It's only the constant flow of new vehicles that keeps used ones affordable for many people.

Woodface and Covkxw like this.
  10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

You just know if the Germans took up Rugger they'd murder us.

11. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I don' t feel virtuous about buying old cars so Brexiteer logic real or perceived not in play here. Thanks for caring though. I will be sure to inform you if there is any change in my vehicle virtuosity/Brexiteer logic state.

Roy

12. SteveS1

Oh really, I must have imagined this part then.

And as for this, fewer cars would make them unaffordable for many people who need them.

13. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

What whining? Just pointing out the idiocy of the latest story you linked to.

So what? If a hike of 10% prevents a private purchase of a new car you could buy a Hyundai, or something cheaper from elsewhere.

Only in your mind.

Johnson, his cronies and backers are part of ‘the establishment’. I haven’t seen any regular insistence or reference from leave supporters that remain politicians are ‘the establishment’.

14. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Treason
    The crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.
    This is in effect what Bercow and the Lib Dems are doing by offering encouragement to the EU that another referendum and remaining is an option favoured by the UK. This is undermining the elected government who are striving to get a deal which will allow us to be trading partners with our friends in Europe, and at the same time removing the federal control of the EU.
    The countries of Europe need to trade to survive, lets hope common sense will prevail.

15. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

I have frequently seen such insistence and reference. The narrative is framed as "the people versus the establishment."

The example here which prompted me to write my post on the issue was from Colin Barrron yesterday.

I have quoted the relevant part. My emphasis in bold:

I suspect you knew this but sought to waste my time.

Btw, my car is a Korean-built Hyundai, my wife's is a Kia. And there is no 'elsewhere' either. It's either Korea or UK - if there is anything left in the UK.

Someone needs to read up on WTO rules. Look up MFN.

16. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Sorry SteveS1, I made the assumption that these days everybody was concerned for the environment.

Why pay over the odds for a new car and all the draw on resources and energy to make it when there is an existing pool of 31 million vehicles many of them available to buy locally and would satisfy the buyers requirements?

Just saying Ray

17. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

A few examples... not difficult to find

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...t-shut-brexit-has-entered-odious-final-phase/

https://brexitcentral.com/the-pro-r...k-brexit-have-reached-new-heights-this-month/

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news...shment-is-doing-all-it-can-to-prolong-brexit/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/10/19/the-establishment-is-trying-to-keep-us-in-the-eu/

18. TheDecameron

Is it another Brexit moosn’t groomble Special?
    I saw a man looking like a more thick set version of Andrew Bridgen at the next table to me this morning, DM open at David Littlejohn - “Toilet Paper Or Not- We Will Get Through This”. I took that as a ‘wipe after reading’ suggestion.

Steven Toy likes this.
  19. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Btw, my car is a Korean-built Hyundai.

Great, an answer to a question that we weren't asking.

As you've mentioned it however, I will humour you and add thatI ran their Coupe when I was working in the Middle East - it was fun to drive and didn't cost much - bought second-hand of course (on account of my virtuosity).

Raab

20. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

But trying to bribe smaller EU states to veto a request for an extension and thwart an Act of Parliament is not treason?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.