advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

This is one of my favourite watches although it's not worth much. It's a Tissot Seastar automatic from the late 60's or early 70's I think. It's a nice size and it keeps good time having been recently serviced:
large.jpg

Here we have another of my cheap automatics (I have quite a few!), this one a lot newer - an Indian HMT Slim bought new for just a few quid on Ebay. It also keeps very good time and has a useful reserve as well:
large.jpg

My retirement present, a Seamaster Aqua Terra Coaxial Chronometer:
23113422106001-20.png

My latest treat to myself as an everyday watch, a Seiko JDM SARB017 Alpinist :
SARB017_zpsphtey9b9.jpg

Some lovely watches on this thread.

Lots of lovely watches in this thread. :)

Here's mine:

9cee650e39617632e89836b16f92ab9e.jpg

Am currently looking into G-Shocks, I like the appeal of having a virtually indestructible watch, perhaps this one that's NASA-approved (it's a lot smaller than it looks in the pic, so not oversized like a lot of modern design G-Shocks):

DW-5600E-1VER.jpg

This is the Gshock to get:
https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/casio/products/g-gw-5000-1jf

It is made in japan and is all metal construction underneath a rubber shell (which is replaceable). There are numerous chinese made versions which have the identical design, but are in a plastic case and don't have the screw-on back.

Seiyajapan are great to deal with.

It's their only bona-fide classic as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Such a pity they lost their way with the seamaster by continuing to change the design. It could of been a classic too. Its also a bit tacky how they overdo the "special editions" of the speedy. The only one worth getting is the original with hesalite crystal and manual winding.

This is the Gshock to get:
https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/casio/products/g-gw-5000-1jf

It is made in japan and is all metal construction underneath a rubber shell (which is replaceable). There are numerous chinese made versions which have the identical design, but are in a plastic case and don't have the screw-on back.

Seiyajapan are great to deal with.

Looks great! Can see the added build quality. I think most collections should have a G Shock in them, nothing is as durable. Marmite looks though. :D

I hope not - I wear it out quite regularly. There's something about a basic Sub which is just....right. And the vintage ones are slightly smaller than the current breed

It has no crown gaurds so that dates it in the 50's. Watches this old and still in good condition are VERY rare. It looks like it still has an original dial in good condition, which adds even more value. Are you the original owner? I am not a vintage rolex expert, but I suspect the ballpark value of such a piece would be tens of thousands GBP.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me, so I did some research:) Yours looks like a 5508. The one that goes for crazy money is the 6538, as worn by Connery in Goldfinger.

Indicative value of yours:
http://www.chrono24.com/rolex/5508-submariner-james-bond-von-1959--id3265185.htm

Well Mull, I wouldn't have imagined we have much in common, but I have that exact watch (a 50th birthday present) and love it. Except, that is, when it needs a new battery....

Well yes. I suspect that the battery fitted by the dealer is no better than many available.. but it's worth maintaining the water resist etc. I suppose. Only had mine a little over a year and no need for a battery yet, but when I do I shall take it back to Cope's in Nottm. where I bought it. Some other alleged Rado Dealers weren't even able to supply it.

Mull

I had the issue as others with Seiko kinetic capacitors going bad. Very disappointing as the whole idea was you never have to change a battery. I hope solars don't have the same issue in the future. I'll feel a right mug if they do, as I might as well have bought a battery watch. My sons gshock battery is 7 tears old now and still going.

It has no crown gaurds so that dates it in the 50's. Watches this old and still in good condition are VERY rare. It looks like it still has an original dial in good condition, which adds even more value. Are you the original owner? I am not a vintage rolex expert, but I suspect the ballpark value of such a piece would be tens of thousands GBP.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me, so I did some research:) Yours looks like a 5508. The one that goes for crazy money is the 6538, as worn by Connery in Goldfinger.

Indicative value of yours:
http://www.chrono24.com/rolex/5508-submariner-james-bond-von-1959--id3265185.htm

It's a 6536/1 but nothing wrong with that. I tried to find a 5508 of that vintage (Q3/57), but they really are like hen's teeth. There was quite a bit of transitioning going on around that time, but I found mine in a trusted bricks and mortar place in Milan of all places.

My stable of watches include the following

Silver cased Longines Trench Watch hallmarked 1917 (my father's first watch).
2 1960s Jaegers, one my father's one given to me by him.
Gold Omega from the fifties with restored face.
Slim Baume & Mercier 1920's evening pocket watch with Art Deco face & synthetic rubies round the edge (my father's)
Dent half hunter pocket watch from the 1890s with chronograph (although marked Dent actually made by Nicole Nielson who made most of the good Edwardian pocket watches retailed by Dent, Frodsham etc.).

Great thread and I love watches. Have an old battered Seamaster's which was my fathers and love it.

Here is a link re Lange & Söhne re their perpetual calendar which is both innovative and mesmerising

That's a damn fine watch with heavenly mechanics... accompanied by an out of this world price tag - out of my world if no one else's lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Weekend watch: Seiko Sumo (SBDC003), aka "Blumo" on account of dial and bezel being dark blue. Bezel style isn't great (the likes of Yobokies will do modified parts) and the 20mm bracelet isn't the width the case warrants, but the finish on the case (clean lines and polished and brushed sections) is superb.

It's another JDM model, so not readily available outside Japan. This one also came from Seiya Japan.

33866585076_330f059277_z.jpg

advertisement

Back