advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

What's the likelihood of buying a fake watch on ebay? I know fashionable items are faked big time - like designer clothes, earphones, aftershave and so on - but would it be safe to go for a watch; specifically a Seiko SARB065 cocktail time?

The watch is available for £289 delivered (no guarantees about Tax + VAT as the watch might be shipped from Hong Kong rather than Ireland as stated on product page). Or should I buy direct from an authorised dealer in Japan? Fwiw, I'm not sure whether I should post a link to the watch on ebay, so the item number is: 181617383280

What's the likelihood of buying a fake watch on ebay? I know fashionable items are faked big time - like designer clothes, earphones, aftershave and so on - but would it be safe to go for a watch; specifically a Seiko SARB065 cocktail time?

The watch is available for £289 delivered (no guarantees about Tax + VAT as the watch might be shipped from Hong Kong rather than Ireland as stated on product page). Or should I buy direct from an authorised dealer in Japan? Fwiw, I'm not sure whether I should post a link to the watch on ebay, so the item number is: 181617383280

Pay close attention to the seller feedback, and to how many have been sold.

Look through his other items, seems like he is legit to me, looks like he imports Japanese stuff.

For anyone interested, Christopher Ward watches are half price during their Spring Sale. I'm not sure if all watches are included, but there's quite a few that are - click here to see what's on offer.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SARB065_Watch_p/sarb065.htm

I've bought Orient's in the past from these with no worries.

Omega electronic f300 'tuning fork' watch. Born same year as me :)

IMG_7021_zpsxjh4wpv0.jpg

Awesome, I love the late 60s/70s Omegas, I used to have one with an amazing racing dial, but it gave me too much trouble so I off loaded it. That's the trouble when buying these old watches, cost of servicing every year or so is a bit much. Still, can't resist a groovy Omega!

For anyone interested, Christopher Ward watches are half price during their Spring Sale. I'm not sure if all watches are included, but there's quite a few that are - click here to see what's on offer.

£200 for a brand new watch with an automatic Swiss movement - that's amazing value!

Some nice enough looking watches but to my mind this sort of discounting doesn't say much for the vfm of CW watches at full price, or their likely residual value should you want to shift one on later. Not good for the CW brand image. Are they in trouble?

Some nice enough looking watches but to my mind this sort of discounting doesn't say much for the vfm of CW watches at full price, or their likely residual value should you want to shift one on later.

Why does it always have to be about investment potential? Perhaps you'd just want to buy a watch because it looks nice and keeps good time and bugger any resale value...

Why does it always have to be about investment potential? Perhaps you'd just want to buy a watch because it looks nice and keeps good time and bugger any resale value...

I wasn't really thinking in terms of "investment potential" - CW watches don't have any. Rather, I was wondering why, having seen the sale prices, anyone would ever again contemplate paying twice what a cheap CW watch is worth in the first place. It looks like a fire sale.

I meant to say, I saw a social worker yesterday who happened to have a chunky watch on his wrist and as watches have become a recent interest of mine, I speculatively asked whether it was a Seiko. I was too far away to see the dial clearly enough, so it could have been manufactured by any brand for all I could tell from my limited viewpoint, but it turns out it was a 'Tag Heuer Tenerife Special' that cost €10. Fake as fek, but from a distance, it looked like an expensive watch.

What this means is I'm less inclined to buy a Seiko Cocktail Time on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter, if the dealer isn't an approved vendor, and from what I can tell, the dealer on ebay is simply importing them, but isn't an approved seller. That doesn't mean in any way the watches are fakes, but with my modest - by which I mean extremely limited - knowledge of expensive watches, I think I'd rather buy directly from Japan - even though doing so might mean I have to pay additional import costs.

My Seiko Tuna, I really like this watch!

I also have an orange face Sumo, but it is currently at TheWatchBloke for a service and getting fitted with a ceramic bezel insert and sapphire glass (from Yobokies.

I had one of these for our silver wedding anniversary gift. Recently serviced and re strapped, it spends most days wrapped in velvet...
iwc spitfireXV by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Daily wear is Citizen's RMC jobbie, since I wanted a watch that didn't care what I did to it. All good so far, touch titanium.

I'll try for a pic in a while.

aha
citizen RMC by John Dutfield, on Flickr

No new watches for me (although I still intend to buy a Seiko SARB065 and possibly this Fossil dress watch to wear as a cheapish, everyday dress watch), but I've bought my first watch box in the meantime (link) so I can keep them all together under the one roof as it were. It hasn't arrived yet, but at £15 delivered, it can't be that bad... I hope.

Possible Fossil purchase
41Eaz5QKshL.jpg

Watch Storage Box
61Yv%2BEcekNL._SL1005_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No new watches for me (although I still intend to buy a Seiko SARB065 and possibly this Fossil dress watch to wear as a cheapish, everyday dress watch), but I've bought my first watch box in the meantime (link) so I can keep them all together under the one roof as it were. It hasn't arrived yet, but at £15 delivered, it can't be that bad... I hope.

Possible Fossil purchase
41Eaz5QKshL.jpg

Watch Storage Box
61Yv%2BEcekNL._SL1005_.jpg

So you didn't go for the Burton Blake £969.00 Wolf Viceroy Triple Watch Winder with storage compartments then?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What the Hell, £969 for a watch winder!? My washing machine can do it for free, as can I lol

Ordinarily, I'm a great believer in the old saying Necessity is the mother of invention, but I think what we needed just before the Wolf Watch Winder was conceived was The Mothers of Prevention. I'm just, like, speechless.

Incidentally, my watch box arrived and although the finish looks a tad cheap, the compartments and cushions look and feel great :)

Saw the Seiko Alpinist in a jewellers shop today, Argyle Arcade in Glasgow - £599. I thought it was Japan only. Only $359 USD from japan though.

Saw the Seiko Alpinist in a jewellers shop today, Argyle Arcade in Glasgow - £599. I thought it was Japan only. Only $359 USD from japan though.

I thought it was a JDM only watch too. At £599 however, they might as well have left it in Japan as far as my wallet is concerned. Which jewellers shop was it? I might go and have a look at it in the flesh as it were, and did you spot a Seiko Cocktail Time in the same shop, by any chance?

Can't remember which one - its about half way down from Buchanan St. entrance on left, they had a few Presage Seikos in the window. Don't think there was a cocktail time.

Have to say that the strap on the Alpinist looked rather cheap & nasty, £10.99 at Mister Minit I reckon.. The watch itself looked v. good, especially at the Japanese price!

advertisement

Back