advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I nearly bought my first self-winding watch today from Goldsmiths. Having tried on and become quite satisfied with the look and feel of this Fossil Chronograph, it soon became clear it was battery powered even though the details on their website stated otherwise - at least, the salesperson seemed sure it was battery powered.

As I already own a Fossil watch powered by battery I didn't feel inclined to buy another, so I thanked the salesperson and left accordingly. Fwiw, it was a click & collect order so neither of us could have known about it being battery powered beforehand. And even though the watch costs peanuts (£70) compared to all the other watches in the shop, I was treated very well as I was offered a hot beverage and invited to help myself to some chocolates while my watch was being retrieved. No deal in the end as I say, but well done Goldsmiths for an otherwise enjoyable experience ;)

17230776_1_640.jpg

What watch are you watching, wearing or wishing to wear in the future? I'll watch with interest for any and all replies :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a Seiko SNK 805 auto that I wear for daily use. It's cheap, I'm not allowed to take it into the factory for hygiene and glass in food prep area reasons, so I have to leave it in a pocket or a desk where it might get lost, dropped or stolen. I like it though. My posh watch is a Seiko Alpinist SARB017, it's all the posh watch I want. I am an alpine mountaineer after all, so it's made for me. After that I have a couple of cheapies, including a Timex auto that is now discontinued and turning into a bit of a cult watch amongst collectors.

I bought a Casio F91-W today for under a tenner just because I thought it was so uncool it is cool. Design unchanged since 1994. Takes me back to my younger years.
My usual wearers are an Omega 2254.50, Casio Protrek or solar/atomic Gshock.

41VnujecB4L.jpg

I don't always wear a watch but when I do it is this simple but classic Omega, it was my Dad's and means a great deal to me. The bracket is one of the nicest I have come across, very comfortable and understated. It runs a little fast but that doesn't bother me.

https://flic.kr/p/SkWmuZ

I bought a Casio F91-W today for under a tenner just because I thought it was so uncool it is cool. Design unchanged since 1994. Takes me back to my younger years.

41VnujecB4L.jpg

That's a pretty cool statement if you ask me considering all that's happened technologically since 1994 - it makes the '90s seem retro!

I don't always wear a watch but when I do it is this simple but classic Omega, it was my Dad's and means a great deal to me. The bracket is one of the nicest I have come across, very comfortable and understated. It runs a little fast but that doesn't bother me.

That looks like a 60s model, beautiful, I love the silver/champagne Omegas, is it a Seamaster? Simplicity is best when it comes to a lot of design, including watches. I like the old Omegas because they're smaller aswell, I'm skinny, so don't want a clunky thing hanging off my wrist.

Two watches here, a Seiko for day-to-day use while aboard the ship and an old Omega when I'm invited to fancy functions with the Queen.

ohqw02.jpg

omega-seamaster-ref-165-009-14761-steel-vintage-wristwatch-circa-1962-wwosaw5-blog.jpg

Joe

I'm a sucker for a Seiko diver, lovely watches. I had a kinetic once but the capacitor kept going.

For the past year or so it has been the Fitbit Surge:

simple.b-cssdisabled-png.hbe32ee1f8089ae9468c7b1ec4d903d7f.pack

But the watch I have had forever is an old Tag 2000 which is sadly neglected since the arrival of the Surge.

27765-1753586204.jpg;w=650

I sent Fossil an email earlier about the Grant Chronograph and sure enough, it is quartz movement powered by battery. Pity as looked and felt very nice in the flesh :(

I just realised it might be my mistake as I assumed self-winding meant it winds itself through movement rather than battery or being a simple wind-up watch. Does self-winding mean what I think it means?

My father had one very, very, similar - from the 70's? He's still with us I'm glad to say, but the watch broke and was not repaired I'm sad to say.

The slim elegance of these is simply no longer matched in the Omega range - which is a big shame AFAIC.

I only wear a watch when I am abroad.
When I do I wear the only watch I have, an Accurist I got free 10 years ago when I took a Barclaycard.
It has never needed adjusting since, except for one battery change.
Perfect.

My work watch is a cheapy Lorus that refuses to die, even after a trip through a washing machine and being smacked against aircraft structures on thousands of occasions.

My naughty watch is this, a present for my 50th. A stainless Daytona is way cooler than me!

My work watch is a cheapy Lorus that refuses to die, even after a trip through a washing machine and being smacked against aircraft structures on thousands of occasions.

My naughty watch is this, a present for my 50th. A stainless Daytona is way cooler than me!

Nothing better than a stainless Steel Daytona. Was wearing mine today. I'm number 3 on the list for the new model!!! Can't wait.

41VnujecB4L.jpg

Uber cool with the hipsters - nothing retro uncool about it.......

advertisement

Back