advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Is LCD retro enough? I would have thought that LEDs would be the way to go.

commodoreledwatch.jpg

Joe

Retirement present to myself.
Not a fan of all the blingy/complicated Breitlings, but this one hits the spot for me.
Matt.

Has anyone made a knock-off of the Urwerks yet?

Urwerk-UR-210-Clou-De-Paris-aBlogtoWatch-2.jpg

Maybe it's too complicated to copy and produce on the cheap.

Joe

And here is mine: Ikepod Hemipode

ikepod by bor_munich, on Flickr

This is from 2000 or 2001. Designed by Marc Newson, late of Apple, Cupertino, for his Ikepod watch company. 44mm Steel case containing a Valjoux 7750.

This dial is the edition for design magazine *Wallpaper. There were a few other options for the Hemipode, and a similar design called the Megapode which had a 48mm case and incorporated a pilot's slide rule.

You can't really tell from that photo, but the whole case is elliptical, with a matching crystal that flows into the form of the case. The rubber strap is also brilliant, but needs another photo to explain how it works. The strap design was reborn for the Apple watch.

I bought this to mark my 50th. I tried all the usual suspects but they left me cold. This was, and I suppose remains, my holy grail watch although I could happily buy plenty more.

Has anyone made a knock-off of the Urwerks yet?

Maybe it's too complicated to copy and produce on the cheap.

Joe

Wow that's straight out of Star Trek or something - extraordinary engineering to say the least!

Derek,

Yeah and 100% mechanical.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Manicatel, that Breitling is lovely.

A Christopher Ward trident pro for me. I admire many watches but couldn't bring myself to spend the money many of them cost. I'm afraid I don't see the value in them but totally accept that others do. I think a relatively smart watch is an essential part of being smartly dressed, along with a half decent English shoe.

One of these:

BN0140-56F_fullsize_1445510602.jpg

Been through a number of watches, including a Zenith auto. None of the autos kept great time.
This is made of titanium, and is solar powered. So it's very light, has nearly scratch proof saphire crystal glass, tells brilliant time and IMO looks cool. Can't see me changing it unless it dies.

I don't need a watch much these days so I have a cheapo from Argos - it tells the time as accurately as any male jewellery costing 100 times as much.

I recognise that, like many things, there is the pride of ownership, the investment possibilities, and, of course, bragging rights.

Within a mile radius of my local pub there are probably as many multi-millionaires as there are in Birmingham. Many are very modest and unassuming about their wealth.

There was one guy, died recently from cancer, who was a Black Country boy who made his millions from hard work and deserved ever penny. He was always keen to tell us what he had just bought and how good it was - latest Rolls Royce, Bentley, Range Rover, a personal protection dog that cost £15,000 and so on.

One day he came in with the latest gold Rolex and told everyone about it. Within minutes he was being asked what the time was on this gold Rolex and people then nodded and said " Yeah, my Casio, Timex, whatever says the same".

He was a good bloke.

I too like the Breitling. It is about as close as I like to get to the 'standard' pattern of round dial with curving lugs.

I am not a diver, or a pilot, or Rambo. I therefore see little to recommend the thousands of bebezelled, multi dialled, 'rugged', 'macho' offerings.

I have my Dad's gold plated Seiko Sportsman from the early 60s. I have my own blue dialled oblongy/square stainless Seiko ( Seiko 5 self winding) from the 70s. I'm also the current custodian of my Grandad's Timex presentation watch for 45 years service on the Railways.

I wear a 70 quid Skagen daily.

My posh watch which most people on here do not like at all.. is this. I have the additional digital functions switched off.

cat_ceramica_193_0324_3_016.png

I like it.

Mull

:p

I bought a Casio F91-W today for under a tenner just because I thought it was so uncool it is cool. Design unchanged since 1994. Takes me back to my younger years.
My usual wearers are an Omega 2254.50, Casio Protrek or solar/atomic Gshock.

41VnujecB4L.jpg

That's what I wear day to day. Cost me around $15 when our daughter was about 1 (I'd dropped her at Gymboree when I went to buy it). She turns 16 this year - not bad $1 a year for perfect time (not counting the one change of battery since).

I think Minicatel's Breitling is the nicest looker - reminds me of my late father's 1960s Seiko.(which is in a drawer somewhere)

My work watch is a cheapy Lorus that refuses to die, even after a trip through a washing machine and being smacked against aircraft structures on thousands of occasions.

My naughty watch is this, a present for my 50th. A stainless Daytona is way cooler than me!

Lovely watch. The great thing about the S/S Rolex sports watches is that you can buy with your head as well as your heart as they steadily rise in value over time, so ownership is effectively free, even including servicing! Mine is a sub date which has been fantastic. Oh, and a £15 Casio for knocking about in, which keeps better time but that's not the point!

A funny thing happened last night as I was admiring the watches in this thread and beyond: I developed a bad case of non-buyer's regret about passing on the £70 Fossil watch. It felt great on my wrist and imo, looks very nice indeed, but all I could think about at the time of refusal was it wasn't self-winding as stated on the website.

After a semi-restless night's sleep, I phoned Goldsmiths this morning at 9am sharp to find out whether it was still in the store... and 60 minutes or so later, I'm pleased to say it's now on my wrist as I jumped on my bike and pedalled into town like a bike-riding rat out of an aqueduct to buy it before it was returned to from whence it came :D

17230776_1_640.jpg

Sitting on hands.....

" I must not make sarcastic comments"

:D

I don't always wear a watch but when I do it is this simple but classic Omega, it was my Dad's and means a great deal to me. The bracket is one of the nicest I have come across, very comfortable and understated. It runs a little fast but that doesn't bother me.

https://flic.kr/p/SkWmuZ

I have a similar Omega, a 1973 Omega Geneve,which was presented to my Grandad for 25 years service at Mather & Platt in Manchester. Mrs BB has offered to buy me a couple of nice watches but TBH no matter how nice they were they wouldn't be my Grandads.

Cheers BB

Not actually mine, but identical, Rolex GMT "Pepsi":

IMG_9458.JPG

Seen in a shop window in Geneva in 1975 while working there. Love at first sight. I've had it ever since. Superb watch.

Here are a few of mine:
original.jpg

I like 60's/70's automatics and that's when the Tissot on the left and the Rado on the right date from if I recall correctly (and I have several others similar ones). The Tissot has been getting a fair bit of wear recently as it's just back from a service that cost way more than it's worth.

I've also got a few old mechanical Bulova's from the 30's and 40's but they're very popular with my family as my son, daughter and wife have all claimed one each. They are mens watches but they're quite small so suit a smaller wrist better than mine anyway!

advertisement

Back