advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Is LCD retro enough? I would have thought that LEDs would be the way to go.

commodoreledwatch.jpg

Joe

uber cool as well

32233098284_68ba15f54b_c.jpg

Remains my favourite.

Photo makes it look larger than it is - it's a 40mm case, which works fine for me.

I regularly hanker after expensive watches*, but TBH at under £300 imported from Japan, it suits me just fine.

*Have always wanted a Grand Seiko snowflake, and would also love a Speedmaster Pro, Sub no date and Panerai base logo. But every time I consider spending 3-5k on a watch I remember my Seikos (the Cocktail Time above and blue Sumo) and think about going on a family holiday with the money instead.

This came out of the factory gate in Switzerland the same month as I was shipped in Essex

IMG_2286.JPG

I too like the Breitling. It is about as close as I like to get to the 'standard' pattern of round dial with curving lugs.

I am not a diver, or a pilot, or Rambo. I therefore see little to recommend the thousands of bebezelled, multi dialled, 'rugged', 'macho' offerings.

I have my Dad's gold plated Seiko Sportsman from the early 60s. I have my own blue dialled oblongy/square stainless Seiko ( Seiko 5 self winding) from the 70s. I'm also the current custodian of my Grandad's Timex presentation watch for 45 years service on the Railways.

I wear a 70 quid Skagen daily.

My posh watch which most people on here do not like at all.. is this. I have the additional digital functions switched off.

cat_ceramica_193_0324_3_016.png

I like it.

Mull

:p

Well Mull, I wouldn't have imagined we have much in common, but I have that exact watch (a 50th birthday present) and love it. Except, that is, when it needs a new battery....

Mrs Seeker bought me one of these a few years ago.

2300_v_1435096043.jpg

Lovely but you need an IQ > 200 to set the bloody thing so it's an attractive paperwight. :-(

My 'daily' wearer is one of these:

genuine-lorus-vj33-x001-mens-watch_360_51432ae165085c380dd322bb25ab6e31.jpg

Which I've now had for 20+ years and is, frankly, bombproof and the best £20 I ever spent on a watch.

I'm not a huge watch person and for main duties use like another chap on here does a Tag 2000 series.

However it's pretty apt that this thread has appeared as I've been trying to find out info. on another watch I own.

Just hoping/wondering if there are any experts on here.

About 20 years ago I was on business in the south of England and stopping off for a lunch time snack in a small town walked past a jewellers/Pawnbrokers window. I cannot even recall the town now but know I had visited Hastings for a job.

Again I repeat I'm not a gold/jewellery person but a watch grabbed my attention in the display.
I loved the slimness of it and although gold I thought it looked great at the time.
I went in, asked what it was in a moment of daftness bought it after a brief haggle.

I wore it for a few social events but apart from that it has lay in a drawer, it is a lovely thing and its strap is so tactile.

It was sent to Switzerland for a new crystal and service shortly after and the jeweller doing it said it was a Hampton model.

Service papers came back saying Audace.

I've asked on a few forums over the years but always drawn a blank, I cannot find another from the range. The Hampton looks similar but nowhere near the same.

As I say, I saw the thread and thought it worth an ask as I got it out again the other day to have another go at identification. This forum is always very good at solving these mysteries!!

Took it to 3 jewellers now to glean a bit of info. but they just want to buy it for melting down:D I like it more as a watch, even though I'll sell it when I know what it is and have a value on the watch other than a scrap value on it.

Cheers guys.

IMG_0586_zpspikwkwqs.jpg

IMG_0589_zps08nqo5uy.jpg

It looks the same as this one, which is described as an Audace, so I guess it's an Audace.

dscn2610.jpg

The last ones I bought were by Skagen. Nothing fancy, just simple clean lines and an understated look. I'm not anywhere these days where I don't have a phone, iPad, computer etc to hand, so haven't worn either for years ...

(Stock photos from others' eBay auctions)

$_1.JPG

That's lovely, when was it made?

I don't know exactly. The best I have is it was late 1950s. I do know it spent most of it life in S. America. I bought it from a GP collector who bought from S. America. Both me and the previous owner suspect the plexiglass is not original. The stainless steel case is in excellent condition and it keeps excellent time for a watch of that age.

Im a sensible watch owner.

I have a Skagen titanium for dress...you wont see a slimmer better value watch

I have Sekonda waterproof for swimming in. I like the cross midway between a man and womens face for a sensible size

I have a casio £5.48 boys/mens watch for working in. Keeps good time black with a white analogue dial...dont need my reading glasses to see it. Only a plastic face and rubber strap but when it gets knackered I chuck it...its lasted ages though and is barely marked.

Ive owned radio controlled Casios (knackered during a battery change...dont ask) and a copy Tag Heuer I found on the grass after a rave in Hulme. I just go with the flow. I like several watches which dont cost the earth. I dont hanker after a Rolex

Good on you if you like a bit of jewellery but thats all an expensive watch is. At any given moment we are reading the same time as my watches are very accurate..they lose a second or so over time but who cares? My house is full of radio controlled clocks

There is something about a quality item which excudes quality. Hard to put my finger on it, but they give pleasure to those who appreciate quality. I love a submariner for its build and durability, even though its internals are not visible, somehow the quality is tangible.

advertisement

Back