advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Saw the Seiko Alpinist in a jewellers shop today, Argyle Arcade in Glasgow - £599. I thought it was Japan only. Only $359 USD from japan though.

Is that the JDM SARB017 version? If so it's a lovely watch. I got mine from this seller on Ebay for £270.

I must admit to being a tad nervous about pressing the button as it seemed too good to be true compared with importing from Japan or Singapore and the risk of being stung for import taxes etc. The only thing that made me slightly anxious was the total lack of communication from the seller regarding order acknowledgement, dispatch etc, but I have to say it all went well in the end. The watch arrived three days after I placed the order, I didn't pay any taxes, and it's genuine. I'm well pleased.:)

I hasten to add that I have no connection with the seller and the above is based purely on my personal experience. I think Ebay is safe if you follow the rules and pay with PayPal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Was the sender's address on the packaging stated as being in Ireland? That would certainly explain no VAT bill on delivery.

Is that the JDM SARB017 version? If so it's a lovely watch. I got mine from this seller on Ebay for £270.

That's excellent. Very tempting.
The only hesitation I have is wondering whether they are as attractive looking in the hand, as they are in the pics ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Millie:
millie.JPG

Photo doesn't do it justice. A really great looking watch IMHO.

Millie:
millie.JPG

Photo doesn't do it justice. A really great looking watch IMHO.

I'll have to take your word on that! When I click on the Dropbox link a message appears saying

File not found

Sorry, that file doesn't live here any more.
It might have been moved or made private.

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing Millie....

Was the sender's address on the packaging stated as being in Ireland? That would certainly explain no VAT bill on delivery.

I'm afraid I can't remember. All I can say is that it came to me via Royal Mail signed for delivery.

That's excellent. Very tempting.
The only hesitation I have is wondering whether they are as attractive looking in the hand, as they are in the pics ?

I know what you mean. I wondered the same.

I think the slightly iridescent green face makes the Alpinist a particularly photogenic watch. On the other hand, like most Seiko JDM watches, it is smaller at 38mm and less blingy than many sold in Europe and the USA. I don't think the Japanese are into ostentatious bling and this is reflected in the the JDM Seikos. The understated excellence and superior movements suit me fine, but may not be for everyone.

If you bought one off eBay for £270 I doubt you'd have much of a problem selling it on with little or no loss if you decided it wasn't for you. In fact I've seen them go for more than that second hand. The only thing I'd say is that the original strap isn't wonderful and you may want to change it!

I've been watching reviews of a few SARBs and as one commentator suggests, the SARB033 is a slow burner that takes time to ignite the embers of desire, but once it does, an eternal flame follows forever more... once you change the strap.

s_sarb033j_1024x1024.jpeg

I have a SARB033, and there is nothing wrong with the bracelet.
But I'm very tempted to get a SARX015...at 40mm it's just 2mm wider than the SARB033 and just a tiny bit more distinctive.
Some of the Grand Seikos are only 35mm wide. Tiny by modern Swiss standards.

I think the slightly iridescent green face makes the Alpinist a particularly photogenic watch. On the other hand, like most Seiko JDM watches, it is smaller at 38mm and less blingy than many sold in Europe and the USA. I don't think the Japanese are into ostentatious bling and this is reflected in the the JDM Seikos. The understated excellence and superior movements suit me fine, but may not be for everyone.

If you bought one off eBay for £270 I doubt you'd have much of a problem selling it on with little or no loss if you decided it wasn't for you. In fact I've seen them go for more than that second hand. The only thing I'd say is that the original strap isn't wonderful and you may want to change it!

Thanks for that Mike.

I'm in two minds: in most of the photos I've seen they look superb, but on some of the youtube review videos I've seen, they look slightly different. I put it down to the lighting - and perhaps less effective 'staging' if that's the right word. For me simple things like the weight of a watch, or the feel of it as it sits on the wrist can be the deal breaker.

At that price though, very hard to ignore!

advertisement

Back