advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

This came out of the factory gate in Switzerland the same month as I was shipped in Essex

IMG_2286.JPG

Whoa! That is nice!! Must be worth as much as a small apartment in some UK cities:)

This came out of the factory gate in Switzerland the same month as I was shipped in Essex

IMG_2286.JPG

Superb. A lovely patina on the watch, hopefully mine will look like that one day (only 12 years old). Something to treasure and pass down to future generations.

There is something about a quality item which excudes quality. Hard to put my finger on it, but they give pleasure to those who appreciate quality. I love a submariner for its build and durability, even though its internals are not visible, somehow the quality is tangible.

Yes and I said good on you but I honestly dont hanker after precision cogs made by angels in the hills of Switzerland.

I have the money to buy one tomorrow so thats not the issue. Im a value for money person (ie a skinflint) and a cheaper watch does the job. Also Im always knocking my wrist against chairs etc so I dont want something too expensive strapped on

I think you can get a very nice looking watch for much less money. Im not knocking those who appreciate the finest build quality. Im just saying that its becomes a jewellery item of status. This is about form over function. It might hold a second for longer than a cheaper watch. It doesnt function any better than my dads radio controlled casio.

Haven't worn a watch for a few years, because my iPhone tells the time. I've got a Breitling Aerospace. It's a nice watch, but has been sitting in its box.

I've had a couple of Rolexes and two Patek Philippe watches, but sold them on. The Pateks were great because not many people recognized what they were, whereas everybody knows a Rolex.

Years ago I used to have a Casio F-91 digital classic. Might get another. At £8.99 you can't really argue with the price.

Jack

Yes and I said good on you but I honestly dont hanker after precision cogs made by angels in the hills of Switzerland.

I have the money to buy one tomorrow so thats not the issue. Im a value for money person (ie a skinflint) and a cheaper watch does the job. Also Im always knocking my wrist against chairs etc so I dont want something too expensive strapped on

I think you can get a very nice looking watch for much less money. Im not knocking those who appreciate the finest build quality. Im just saying that its becomes a jewellery item of status. This is about form over function. It might hold a second for longer than a cheaper watch. It doesnt function any better than my dads radio controlled casio.

I hear you. I have the same attitude to cars. I could buy pretty much anything but drive an 11 year old car that works just fine. However, the car is worth £4.50 but my Rolex has doubled in value since I bought it and should last a lifetime or 2. I call that value for money.

Seiya Japan.

I've bought two watches from Seiya-san and both transactions have been dead easy. Both pre Brexit devaluation of Sterling..!

Thanks Tom, of all the quality watches I've seen so far, it's one of the few that seems truly timeless, yet affordable to the masses; I mean it could've been made anytime during the last 60 years as far as your average Tom, Dick or Sally is concerned. A watch for posterity for sure - for infinity and beyond...

Whoa! That is nice!! Must be worth as much as a small apartment in some UK cities:)

I hope not - I wear it out quite regularly. There's something about a basic Sub which is just....right. And the vintage ones are slightly smaller than the current breed

My work watch is a cheapy Lorus that refuses to die, even after a trip through a washing machine and being smacked against aircraft structures on thousands of occasions.

My naughty watch is this, a present for my 50th. A stainless Daytona is way cooler than me!

That is nice Tony. I've promised myself a Daytona one day but I can't seem to settle on the right combination of colour/dial/hands. That one would be very tempting, but I'm not sure I could read the time without my glasses on

Thanks Tom, of all the quality watches I've seen so far, it's one of the few that seems truly timeless, yet affordable to the masses; I mean it could've been made anytime during the last 60 years as far as your average Tom, Dick or Sally is concerned. A watch for posterity for sure - for infinity and beyond...

Thanks windhoek. I must say, I thought so too. I know there's an ongoing trend for all things retro, and watches definitely fall into that category with many designs not materially changing for a long time.

I suppose a wristwatch is a rather retro idea now that we all carry round computers that tell the time and so much more.

I have an original Seiko Kinetic in a drawer. Used for many years and replaced its internal supecapacitor twice and strap once. Now died again and it was recommended to upgrade to a battery (supercapacitor unavailable now I think) and straps are also unobtanium so I had put an alternative on. Not sure that putting a battery store in it will do anything to improve its value, as it is no longer 'original' On the other hand it cannot store for more than a few hours so is broken anyway. Hmmm

Given up and got £125 Seiko Solar plain watch with date. Slim, unobtrusive and just works.

Lots of lovely watches in this thread. :)

Here's mine:

9cee650e39617632e89836b16f92ab9e.jpg

Am currently looking into G-Shocks, I like the appeal of having a virtually indestructible watch, perhaps this one that's NASA-approved (it's a lot smaller than it looks in the pic, so not oversized like a lot of modern design G-Shocks):

DW-5600E-1VER.jpg

Now my everyday watch:

iu

Now relegated to very occasional use due to the above.

iu

Getting harder to justify keeping it TBH. Rising used values help i guess.

Oh and this i wear to the gym & football.

3.JPG

Needs a new battery soon.

I'm not a huge Omega fan, but they completely nailed it with the Speedmaster Pro. Never looks dated.

advertisement

Back