Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System Pics 2021

Discussion in 'audio' started by Whaleblue, Jan 1, 2021.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Good luck trying that in Scotland. I don't imagine repeated freeze/thaws doing the cables much good. Or maybe it could be a DIY form of cryogenic treatment! ;)

2. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Daads sold ? Could only afford gik myself. Oh well, that amp stand you sold me has been most useful over the years. Do you remember where you sourced it from ( as a matter of interest ) ?. Take care

3. RoA

RoA pfm Member

A lovely system. How does this compare with your previous one?

4. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

I'm running XLR leads, and there are a number of makes which are suitable for this sort of thing. I'm using a Sommer cable:

https://www.studiospares.com/sommer-200-0101-sc-source-ii-balanced-mic-cable-black_546000.htm

This one is good down to -25C but generally the lower temps tend to affect the flexibility of the cable, rather than causing any failure (not that i've tried!). If you think about it, TV arial coax tends to survive for many years in all sorts of weather. But anyhow, yes, go with a cable designed for the application.

torstoi likes this.
  5. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Chris Watson on cold cables...

“When I was in the Antarctic working on Frozen Planet it got down to about minus 40 on the ice fields near the Beardmore Glacier, where Lawrence Oates famously walked out of his tent. We landed there in a helicopter with David Attenborough to do some filming. I was using oxygen‑free copper cable, with irradiated plastic outer sheath, which means that it is more flexible at lower temperatures, but the best cable to use in those circumstances is rubber cable from Belden, which is super heavy and expensive, and that wasn’t available to me. I was using Van Damme cable, which is my favourite microphone cable, but it was minus 40 when I was connecting to the camera, and when I moved the cable it snapped like a piece of toffee."
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/chris-watson-art-location-recording

torstoi, Jono_13 and Darren like this.
  6. Darren

Darren All Business

They (Belden) make some cable with EPDM rubber sheathing...... in my experience EPDM is bloody tough stuff and essentially weather proof - its largely unaffected by both UV and freezing temperatures. Makes a good flat roof!!

paulfromcamden likes this.
  7. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Always listen to the man from Cabaret Voltaire...

paulfromcamden likes this.
  8. Ben Hope

Ben Hope bhope58122

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace
    Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm
    Dynavector XX2 MKII
    Wave Mechanic PSU
    Bigbottle Phono Stage
    Copland CTA402 Integrated Amplifier
    Kralk Audio KA-2 with External Crossovers Speakers

Jezzer, Andy1912, HiFiman and 30 others like this.
  9. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Once again, not my setup (because I don't have anything at the moment), but...

My JBL 4312A's (that I just restored and re-veneered, and was forced to sell for a sudden move across the pond) are with their new owner in beautiful Mallorca. Looks like a nice setup with some vintage Yamaha and Sansui amps.

You can also see a Raspberry Pi streamer that I sold him (my design and 3D print from when I still had a printer). It's the tiny gray box on the CD player.

[​IMG]

10. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Liking the fruit box stands! been there my self...

From a couple of years ago.. and no the candles are not on the speaker before anyone asks!

[​IMG]P1000239 by Jonathan Roberts, on Flickr

HiFiman, Waxxy, myrman and 5 others like this.
  11. RoA

RoA pfm Member

Neat, small and tidy. What's not to like.

Tarzan and Jono_13 like this.
  12. RoA

RoA pfm Member

Copeland. One of very few 'large' amplifiers I like the look of. Even their massive integrated has an appealing Art Deco look about it. The brand does not seem so popular here in the UK anymore as it once was. I have no idea why?

I like the sleek, understated Turntable platter.

Jono_13 likes this.
  13. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Nice. Extra style points for the ACR Box Set.

Jono_13 likes this.
  14. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

15. mrlamonta

mrlamonta pfm Member

Lovely photo. And I love the look of that Copland amp.

Ben Hope likes this.
  16. fred sonnen

fred sonnen pfm Member

Would like to see more of the room. Seems cool. ;-)

17. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I bet the sound it produces is cavernous.

I'll get my coat.... :rolleyes:

TheDecameron likes this.
  18. Ben Hope

Ben Hope bhope58122

It is rather subtle isn't it ;)

RoA likes this.
  19. Ben Hope

Ben Hope bhope58122

Not long had the Copland and I immediately re-valved it so it's not showing its full potential just yet. Already sounds great so I'm hoping for big things :)

20. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

It reminds me a lot of the Sony TA-F5000ES:

[​IMG]

Copland CTA402:

[​IMG]

I definitely like that style of knob. My TA-F3000ES has them too.