advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i actually have the cables routed around the fireplace on the outside of the house.
Good luck trying that in Scotland. I don't imagine repeated freeze/thaws doing the cables much good. Or maybe it could be a DIY form of cryogenic treatment! ;)

Not sure what else you can do with cables on a wall mounted TT !
Daads sold ? Could only afford gik myself. Oh well, that amp stand you sold me has been most useful over the years. Do you remember where you sourced it from ( as a matter of interest ) ?. Take care

Good luck trying that in Scotland. I don't imagine repeated freeze/thaws doing the cables much good. Or maybe it could be a DIY form of cryogenic treatment! ;)

I'm running XLR leads, and there are a number of makes which are suitable for this sort of thing. I'm using a Sommer cable:

https://www.studiospares.com/sommer-200-0101-sc-source-ii-balanced-mic-cable-black_546000.htm

This one is good down to -25C but generally the lower temps tend to affect the flexibility of the cable, rather than causing any failure (not that i've tried!). If you think about it, TV arial coax tends to survive for many years in all sorts of weather. But anyhow, yes, go with a cable designed for the application.

This one is good down to -25C but generally the lower temps tend to affect the flexibility of the cable

Chris Watson on cold cables...

“When I was in the Antarctic working on Frozen Planet it got down to about minus 40 on the ice fields near the Beardmore Glacier, where Lawrence Oates famously walked out of his tent. We landed there in a helicopter with David Attenborough to do some filming. I was using oxygen‑free copper cable, with irradiated plastic outer sheath, which means that it is more flexible at lower temperatures, but the best cable to use in those circumstances is rubber cable from Belden, which is super heavy and expensive, and that wasn’t available to me. I was using Van Damme cable, which is my favourite microphone cable, but it was minus 40 when I was connecting to the camera, and when I moved the cable it snapped like a piece of toffee."
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/chris-watson-art-location-recording

“When I was in the Antarctic working on Frozen Planet it got down to about minus 40 on the ice fields near the Beardmore Glacier, where Lawrence Oates famously walked out of his tent. We landed there in a helicopter with David Attenborough to do some filming. I was using oxygen‑free copper cable, with irradiated plastic outer sheath, which means that it is more flexible at lower temperatures, but the best cable to use in those circumstances is rubber cable from Belden, which is super heavy and expensive, and that wasn’t available to me. I was using Van Damme cable, which is my favourite microphone cable, but it was minus 40 when I was connecting to the camera, and when I moved the cable it snapped like a piece of toffee."
They (Belden) make some cable with EPDM rubber sheathing...... in my experience EPDM is bloody tough stuff and essentially weather proof - its largely unaffected by both UV and freezing temperatures. Makes a good flat roof!!

Always listen to the man from Cabaret Voltaire...

Once again, not my setup (because I don't have anything at the moment), but...

My JBL 4312A's (that I just restored and re-veneered, and was forced to sell for a sudden move across the pond) are with their new owner in beautiful Mallorca. Looks like a nice setup with some vintage Yamaha and Sansui amps.

You can also see a Raspberry Pi streamer that I sold him (my design and 3D print from when I still had a printer). It's the tiny gray box on the CD player.

b8dda5ff-938c-4714-9cc2-2c5c113c7916.jpg

Once again, not my setup (because I don't have anything at the moment), but...

My JBL 4312A's (that I just restored and re-veneered, and was forced to sell for a sudden move across the pond) are with their new owner in beautiful Mallorca. Looks like a nice setup with some vintage Yamaha and Sansui amps.

You can also see a Raspberry Pi streamer that I sold him (my design and 3D print from when I still had a printer). It's the tiny gray box on the CD player.

b8dda5ff-938c-4714-9cc2-2c5c113c7916.jpg
Liking the fruit box stands! been there my self...

From a couple of years ago.. and no the candles are not on the speaker before anyone asks!

P1000239 by Jonathan Roberts, on Flickr

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace
Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm
Dynavector XX2 MKII
Wave Mechanic PSU
Bigbottle Phono Stage
Copland CTA402 Integrated Amplifier
Kralk Audio KA-2 with External Crossovers Speakers

Copeland. One of very few 'large' amplifiers I like the look of. Even their massive integrated has an appealing Art Deco look about it. The brand does not seem so popular here in the UK anymore as it once was. I have no idea why?

I like the sleek, understated Turntable platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back