advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It reminds me a lot of the Sony TA-F5000ES:

1281494-sony-taf5000-integrated-amplifier-es-series.jpg

Copland CTA402:

186577470612c212223c3dcf7989efcd464f8856_2_1024x768.jpeg

I definitely like that style of knob. My TA-F3000ES has them too.

Very similar design I agree. Excellent build quality on the Copland, everything has that premium feel about it, very impressed with the early rounds of listening I've done. Very different to the Pathos Hybrid I had beforehand so that took some getting used to

It reminds me a lot of the Sony TA-F5000ES:

1281494-sony-taf5000-integrated-amplifier-es-series.jpg

That's definitely a classy looking design.

One of the things that sticks out for me is the 'MD' input, and you just end up looking across the input designations and think about how many of them are dead formats.

That's definitely a classy looking design.

One of the things that sticks out for me is the 'MD' input, and you just end up looking across the input designations and think about how many of them are dead formats.
I think if I had the matching MD for my TA-F3000ES I would still use it. In the late 90s I had a Sony set that included a portable and full size. It was fun using MD to record my favorite radio show (Expansions from KCMU/KEXP in Seattle, electronic, trip hop, D&B) and listen to them all week. Then I could copy my favorite tracks onto compilation discs. I still have about 15 tracks that I managed to convert to mp3 at one point, and in the past 20 years I’ve only managed to identify about half of them. SoundHound has been very useful decades later!

You also reminded me — even today there are still very high end integrated amps and preamps being made with silkscreened input names. It seems like such poor planning to lock in labels like that. I prefer devices without screens, partly for longevity, but they are nice if you can name inputs yourself. Otherwise, I much prefer simple numbered inputs.

In the case of these Sonys, they were part of a series that included a matching shoebox tuner, CD, MD, so I guess in that case it made some sense.

The Marchbanks Towers Alfresco System Pic. Sorry about the lack of rug and photography books, but instead there are loads of plants. Note also the deployment of acoustic treatment for the space (top of shot.) I’m all in favour of the title I’m listening to on France Musique La Jazz too.

51228067530_f1a6d965f2_z.jpg

Latest changes to my system, the main one being my newly built PTP Lenco with Rega RB303 arm & Denon DL-110 cart. Phono stage is a Tisbury Domino.
Rest of the system
Quad 99 CDP-2, I'm loving this, excellent analogue sounding DAC being fed by my Allo Digione Signature.
Quad 33/303, had these a couple of months now, they are freshly serviced with the Dada mods & sound superb into my Stirling LS3/5A V2s.
Headphone set up still my Topping L30 & Sennheiser HD600s.
20210606-100958.jpg

The Marchbanks Towers Alfresco System Pic. Sorry about the lack of rug and photography books, but instead there are loads of plants. Note also the deployment of acoustic treatment for the space (top of shot.) I’m all in favour of the title I’m listening to on France Musique La Jazz too.

51228067530_f1a6d965f2_z.jpg
It's been ages since I last had a Rochefort 10 for a drink! Must go and fetch one up from the cellar tonight!

@TonyScarlett

Very similar to my system! How come you don’t use the phono stage in the 33? Which input do you use with the Tisbury?
I haven't tried the phono stage in the 33 yet, I only finished putting the Lenco together yesterday. I wasn't sure what cart I was going to use with the PTP Lenco so bought the Tisbury to replace my previous Rega fono MM to give myself more options. As it happens the DL-110 is a HOMC & works fine into the MM input on the Tisbury.
Even with the Dada mods the 33 has a little too much gain so I use 10 dB Rothwell attenuators with the Quad 99 CDP-2 input. With the Tisbury on its lowest 40 dB setting the TT & CD inputs are nicely level matched.
TS

I haven't tried the phono stage in the 33 yet, I only finished putting the Lenco together yesterday. I wasn't sure what cart I was going to use with the PTP Lenco so bought the Tisbury to replace my previous Rega fono MM to give myself more options. As it happens the DL-110 is a HOMC & works fine into the MM input on the Tisbury.
Even with the Dada mods the 33 has a little too much gain so I use 10 dB Rothwell attenuators with the Quad 99 CDP-2 input. With the Tisbury on its lowest 40 dB setting the TT & CD inputs are nicely level matched.
TS

I find the 33 phono stage to be good. With the Quad CDP you can just use the variable output and knock it back a bit (say, vol 25/32) to get a suitable output, or use the lowest sensitivity setting on the Tape input but that gives a slightly lower out put than the phono stage.

I find the 33 phono stage to be good. With the Quad CDP you can just use the variable output and knock it back a bit (say, vol 25/32) to get a suitable output, or use the lowest sensitivity setting on the Tape input but that gives a slightly lower out put than the phono stage.
I have thought about doing it this way, it's one of the nice things about this Quad combo, it gives you those sort of options to match the inputs. I did find with using the Rothwell attenuators, I didn't have enough gain on the tape output to drive my headphone amp. No problem, just set the jumpers on the tape output board to the highest setting, problem solved.
I will give the phono stage on the 33 a try at some point. I just want to sit back & enjoy the PTP Lenco for a while first, it's definitely a step up from my previous modded GL-75.
TS
TS

Here's my humble little corner, a very rare listen to this system as I usually stream to a more basic thangalang.

I was initially going to use the K701s but the storage had been unkind and the inner foams had reduced to crumbs and tar. HD600s to the rescue with their very recent replacement ear and head pads. The speakers lay silent...

CSkH1lB.jpg

Here's my humble little corner, a very rare listen to this system as I usually stream to a more basic thangalang.

I was initially going to use the K701s but the storage had been unkind and the inner foams had reduced to crumbs and tar. HD600s to the rescue with their very recent replacement ear and head pads. The speakers lay silent...

CSkH1lB.jpg

Amazing how much enjoyment can be had with a small, high quality headphone system. Barely any of the faff of most speaker systems.

Note to myself ... that may be the next thing I will look into.

I barely know anything about it so will have questions. I have a pair of Grado Sr80e's which I last used with a Hegel system I had. Having gone active I can't use them. I will likely upgrade them to something better with a dedicated headphone amplifier etc. - I feel a thread coming up.

Looking at the psu and the blue led, prompts the question, does the V2 have the full Rock Grotto upgrades?

CSkH1lB.jpg

Yay - an Incatech Claymore! How I wish I'd kept hold of mine, which was just great fronting Rogers monitors. Also had a really nice MC phono stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back