advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

In that case he may be right - the Thales looks superb and is something I intend to pursue looking into

I'd be happy to enter my 30/12a into a DBT for comparison purposes with other decks provided James attends and posts his findings.

The thing is, I will always take the opinion of an impartial guru over the opinion of an impassioned owner. The impartial guru has no emotional or financial investment in the product.

Or we could rephrase this as ''I will always take the opinion of some 'guru' over that of people with actual experience. ''
Presumably, in the same way, you would prefer the words of some motoring 'guru' to the experience of people who own and use the cars?
I find myself in a debate with some guy who, quite literally, doesn't know what he is talking about.
I am sure you will enjoy your 30. It's a fine deck.
I'm done with you.

A godless man like you will never understand a deep and abiding faith in the opinions of gurus and lists of high profile purchasers

The thing is, I will always take the opinion of an impartial guru over the opinion of an impassioned owner. The impartial guru has no emotional or financial investment in the product.

Or we could rephrase this as ''I will always take the opinion of some 'guru' over that of people with actual experience. ''
Presumably, in the same way, you would prefer the words of some motoring 'guru' to the experience of people who own and use the cars?
I find myself in a debate with some guy who, quite literally, doesn't know what he is talking about.
I am sure you will enjoy your 30. It's a fine deck.
I'm done with you.

I'll take the opinion of a very experienced and dispassionate industry professional over the opinions of two or three forum people who have nothing like the same experience, but who are defending their buying decisions. Nothing personal. I have a different way of operating, that is all.

I would refer you back to the Caliburn conundrum: why is the Cobra 9"? Ponder that question.

Convention.

So you buy without listening essentially?

Of course, who can be bothered auditioning? I can't think of anything worse.

The thing about hi-fi forums is that a large number of people seem to want to set themselves up as experts, I can't think why, but they do.

I have a full-time job doing something else entirely. I have no desire to be regarded as an expert. All I want is a decent hi-fi. How I get from A to B is to take expert advice from people who actually know what they are talking about (i.e. not from forum posters).

Not astounding at all if you knew me.

Why am I here? Fun. Met some nice people. Haven't met you.

The point about the guru is that he has no irons in this particular fire, so no hype.

I meant the hype about the caliburn online by gurus like fremer etc. No-one seems interested in actually buying them

Haha! I guess you've demo'd it. No-one has the money, so we have to live in the humble world of SME, Brinkmann et al.

How's that pet unicorn working out for you?

I'll take the opinion of a very experienced and dispassionate industry professional over the opinions of two or three forum people who have nothing like the same experience, but who are defending their buying decisions. Nothing personal. I have a different way of operating, that is all.

I would refer you back to the Caliburn conundrum: why is the Cobra 9"? Ponder that question.

Continuum went out of business. Ponder that.
The point about owners of a deck (or anything else) is that they have been sufficiently impressed to spend their own cash (bet your 'professional' hasn't). In my case , I have owned, and enjoyed, both these decks. You haven't owned either, haven't even heard one of them. That's why your opinion has no merit....you literally have no knowledge.
Indeed, in your view of the world, buying and owning something disqualifies you...the very act of having genuine experience and commitment makes your views invalid.
Or, to sum up.....ignorance is the most valid position from which to speak. Which puts you in a strong position.

No I haven't had chance or the money. Would prefer the techdas.

I fed it steroids and it now has a 12" horn and all the virgins prefer it

advertisement

Back