advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

Continuum went out of business. Ponder that.
The point about owners of a deck (or anything else) is that they have been sufficiently impressed to spend their own cash (bet your 'professional' hasn't). In my case , I have owned, and enjoyed, both these decks. You haven't owned either, haven't even heard one of them. That's why your opinion has no merit....you literally have no knowledge.
Indeed, in your view of the world, buying and owning something disqualifies you...the very act of having genuine experience and commitment makes your views invalid.
Or, to sum up.....ignorance is the most valid position from which to speak. Which puts you in a strong position.

I know I have no knowledge. But I have consulted people who have a million times more knowledge and experience than you do.

Continuum went out of business? Even if true, it does not negate their achievements. I don't think you can get a Rockport these days, either.

I have no ego here. I'm just choosing the most logical choice open to me, based on the best evidence I have.

Bub is entitled to choose his kit however he likes but its the complete opposite of how I would go about it and I find it quite intriguing to be able to step through the mental process of such an opposing mindset

has anyone heard the continuum?

How do you know that a given shop demo is competently set-up? Particularly with turntables, arms and cartridges? It's all very debatable.

PS this shitestorm was predicted by me even before I placed the order for the 30/2. It's all so boringly predictable.

You take a look. I am sensing you like to keep things simple

You like it that's why you keep coming back for more

How do you reconcile the expert opinion of SME that the 30/12 is a big leap ahead of the 30/2 in sound quality. Surely the designer should know?

You take a look. I am sensing you like to keep things simple

You like it that's why you keep coming back for more

You take a look at what? You check VTA/HTA alignment with a protractor? You take along a spirit level? This doesn't happen in the real world. I've never heard any gear in a shop demo which is even close to what I have at home.

How do you reconcile the expert opinion of SME that the 30/12 is a big leap ahead of the 30/2 in sound quality. Surely the designer should know?

I think SME would concede, as paskinn has, that there are compromises with arm length. This is getting a bit old.

SME are clearly aiming this stuff at the Asian market, and why not? Softer, smoother...

That's usually the room.

Visually inspect geometry for gross errors. Its only the deck that is really an issue for set-up. Make sure you pick a good dealer like Walrus.

Comparative listening changing only a single variable works even in a shop environment

I am not sure they would. With extra attention to engineering the compromises can be completely mitigated if they have made the effort. Have you any evidence to support either of those suppositions?

Are all of your components British? Bar only the cartridge I presume?

I know I have no knowledge. But I have consulted people who have a million times more knowledge and experience than you do.

Really? perhaps you might care to tell us who these gurus are? I notice they seem to be multiplying. I expect some of them have a billion times more experience than us silly old people. We just own and use the stuff, we couldn't know anything about it.
Still, we'l try to pay attention from the back of the class.

Really? perhaps you might care to tell us who these gurus are? I notice they seem to be multiplying. I expect some of them have a billion times more experience than us silly old people. We just own and use the stuff, we couldn't know anything about it.
Still, we'l try to pay attention from the back of the class.

I am a poker player, and I never show my hand.

I might employ a guru/dogsbody to save me the trouble of listening to my hifi. It's dirty work and a bit beneath me, really.

Can I apply Pete?

I'm at a loose end and like the look of your record collection.

James' last "guru" was a former Hells Angel living in Anglesey IIRC who ripped him off for shedloads and left him with a flat full of scrap.

One would have thought a balanced person would have learnt from that painful experience.

Could Mr 'Royaloak' please buy his Anna, and then this weary old thread could shuffle quietly to bed. Amazing that a straightforward question could wander so far.
Still, the one thing I am certain of is that you'll love that 20-12. Sounds great, looks great, won't let you down. More than capable of getting the best from any cartridge, including the Anna (I really would like one).

I'll take the opinion of a very experienced and dispassionate industry professional over the opinions of two or three forum people who have nothing like the same experience,

I would refer you back to the Caliburn conundrum: why is the Cobra 9"? Ponder that question.

I think Martin Colloms addressed that conundrum in the thread you kindly linked to.

Some Bloke Called Colloms said:
The £64,000 Continuum Criterion series is clearly an effort to make one of the best sounding players, and a massive and
very skilled team was assembled to design it. The arms are great sounding, particularly uncoloured and
yet have the 9inch dimension.

Would they be better sounding at 12 inch?, could the turntable itself be made to the same standard in a size which would accommodate a 12inch?

The checks and balances for overall system design make the answer problematical.

No question 9 inch arms have audible distortion, which is worst at end of side and with higher modulation levels,
which unfortunately are frequently the case.

(remember the proposal to record inside out so the symphony
climaxes had the benefit of the higher grove velocity and thus less cramped modulation, and thus lower distortion
tracing , with better treble into the bargain)

A parallel tracker will have lower distortion but many are marred by high lateral effective mass creating an undulty low lateral resonance frequency, or have structural problems relating to the physical implementation, or noise from an air bearing or race track bearing.

The 12inch radial with fine bearings may well be the best choice if you have the space, but rules out the likes of the LP12 and its finely tuned and balanced suspension, almost uniquely capable of delivering rhythm from LP, even if it may not be the least coloured nor the most detailed.

The LP12 is by no means the only good turntable and in my view a good 12 inch arm is one way of placing the advantage in the lap of the alternatives.

Obviously this Colloms geezer is clueless compared to someone like a well known Welsh welder.

advertisement

Back