advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

paskinn has posted on another forum that the dynamics are compromised with the V12. That's not a sound I'm looking for.

I doubt that I used the word 'compromised'. The 12inch arms do sound less dynamic, but smoother. Without hearing the contrast I don't understand how you can know which you would prefer. Overall, and to my ears, the 12inch is a far better arm. More natural, more assured, lower distortion.
You might well come to a different view, but it would be good if that view was based on actual listening.

And the V sounds slow and lifeless and lacking in dynamics compared with the brinkmann arm or the airtangent. Brinkmann make a 9.6, 10.5 and 12.1 version of the same arm and it is the latter that has the most dynamics so I am sure SME can make the V12 as dynamic as the V.

I doubt that I used the word 'compromised'. The 12inch arms do sound less dynamic, but smoother. Without hearing the contrast I don't understand how you can know which you would prefer. Overall, and to my ears, the 12inch is a far better arm. More natural, more assured, lower distortion.
You might well come to a different view, but it would be good if that view was based on actual listening.

The thing is, I will always take the opinion of an impartial guru over the opinion of an impassioned owner. The impartial guru has no emotional or financial investment in the product.

I've heard 12" arms. They are great, but don't have any audible tracking advantages over 9" arms, in my opinion.

http://www.hificritic.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=582

How can you tell obscured by all the other variables? The only way is to listen to SME 9" vs SME 12". Preferably DBT. The phantom sounds good on the 30 but cant match the B10.5 for dynamics.

How can you tell obscured by all the other variables? The only way is to listen to SME 9" vs SME 12". Preferably DBT. The phantom sounds good on the 30 but cant match the B10.5 for dynamics.

Actually for your deck, guru recommends a different arm. Shocker!

And I do. So where does that leave us? Don't get me wrong I liked it when I tried one on my deck, it had a lovely soft character, slightly effete. But I prefer something a little gruntier for my taste.

You calling my cartridge "effete"??? Outside, now!

I had no way of listening to the Raven. My super-secret guru tells me it is very detailed, but has no life. Germanic?

I am happy to put my Raven AC up against any SME 30. Done it enough times here in the past. The AC has life, soul and emotion in spades.

Lets hear what arm is best for my deck Bub, I may have heard it already in which case I can judge the efficacy of your guru (at The Music Room?)

advertisement

Back