advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

Can I apply Pete?

I'm at a loose end and like the look of your record collection.

James' last "guru" was a former Hells Angel living in Anglesey IIRC who ripped him off for shedloads and left him with a flat full of scrap.

One would have thought a balanced person would have learnt from that painful experience.

It's hard, tiring work, Mike. I'd expect you to listen to at least 15 albums a day. :D

Bub,

I had you down as a fizbin player.

Joe

I mostly play the silly goat, Joe.

Apologies to all the 30/12 owners who have been offended by my ill-informed, nay reckless, decision to not buy a 30/12. It really was most remiss of me.

Everyone seems to think the 30/12 is a big step up with no downside over the 30/2

At least everyone who has compared the two

Switching from the 9" to the 12" V arms caused a very different change to the sound. The longer arm sounds smoother and more transparent. There is increased detail and clarity. Small tonal nuance and spacial cues are more evident. Instruments and voices have more texture. There is just much more music and information. I suppose this is in large part a result of decreased distortion and tracking error due to the extra length. Imaging is more specific and sound radiates more naturally from the source, be it a voice or an instrument. Sound fills the space between instruments more completely and creates a more organic whole than the somewhat outlined images of the shorter arm. The sound is less flat and there is a better sense of harmonics. Upper frequencies don't have quite the energy that the 9" arm has. I guess I would say the details are less forced and sound more natural.

Interesting. That's pretty much in line with what I heard when I compared.

Everyone seems to think the 30/12 is a big step up with no downside over the 30/2

At least everyone who has compared the two

I'm not saying that. I'm saying for archival of precious vinyl it sounds distinctly more consistent when the files are replayed.

It's perfectly possible that small amounts of mistracking could be mistaken for extra life, just as midrange distortion in some loudspeakers is taken for presence and dynamics.

IME truly revealing and dynamic equipment sneaks up on you rather than shouting it's strengths from the rooftops. It's smooth with a black background. Then..Boom! It hits you.

The old adage about not realising how loud it is until you try to speak or leave the room. Again if it sounds loud, it's usually distortion.

Correct he hasn't heard the 30/2. Neither has he heard the 30/12

That's an incredible leap of faith, hope it isn't a tad disappointing.

Still at least there won't be an IMHO from Bub, it will be ISEHO (Someone Else).

Switching from the 9" to the 12" V arms caused a very different change to the sound. The longer arm sounds smoother and more transparent. There is increased detail and clarity. Small tonal nuance and spacial cues are more evident. Instruments and voices have more texture. There is just much more music and information. I suppose this is in large part a result of decreased distortion and tracking error due to the extra length. Imaging is more specific and sound radiates more naturally from the source, be it a voice or an instrument. Sound fills the space between instruments more completely and creates a more organic whole than the somewhat outlined images of the shorter arm. The sound is less flat and there is a better sense of harmonics. Upper frequencies don't have quite the energy that the 9" arm has. I guess I would say the details are less forced and sound more natural.

Interesting. That's pretty much in line with what I heard when I compared.

That's a superb analysis. Who wrote it?

What a surprise. People who bought the more expensive XYZ say it's better than the cheaper ABC. OTOH, independent people suggest the XYZ may not be all it's cracked-up to be.

Anyway, I am the one who is going to suffer the consequences of buying the ABC. Can't wait, only 72 hours to go.

That's an incredible leap of faith, hope it isn't a tad disappointing.

Still at least there won't be an IMHO from Bub, it will be ISEHO (Someone Else).

It's an SME 30/2, Mr flatpopely. One of the best turntables on the planet. I suspect it will not be disappointing.

advertisement

Back