advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

The best way to isolate a turntable from both airborne and structural vibration is to position it in another room.
Keith.

The best way to isolate a turntable from both airborne and structural vibration is to position it in another room.
Keith.

You might also want to improve the structure/enviroment in which the turntable resides. Lots of factors and variables including the level of isolation built into the turntable and/or platform that the turntable is placed.

The big difference is when you switch to 12inch arms and chassis. I couldn't ever return to the 9inch arms.

The weirdly anonymous 'guru' quoted whenever convenient, sounds curiously like a UK dealer with a particular bee in his bonnet.

There's no doubt that there's a difference, but are the downsides to the longer arm really worth a theoretical reduction in distortion which I don't hear with the SME V? I decided they are not. With a 9" you have less moving mass, and as you lengthen the tube you push the resonances further down, but they also last a little longer. There's also dynamic compression with the 12" arm. Even the Continuum Cobra Reference is about 9". They could have easily designed it as a 12", but the software that was used to design the arm saw "issues" with the longer tonearm, no matter what the material. It seems quite likely that the V12 and 30/12 were designed primarily for the Japanese market.

He's not a dealer, and has absolutely no personal axe to grind in this debate. He is completely impartial.

You need to listen to 9" SME v 12" SME then you will see whether what you currently believe to be true is actually true

No an SEM bench is better. All rooms contain vibration even if it is not from the hifi

Maybe an SEM bench in another room? ;)

I'm not at all sure I understand what the SME suspension with all its damping is for.

Suspension is there to isolate the platter from motor and ambient airborne vibration.

Damping is there to dissipate resonances and vibration in the vinyl record, imparted by the stylus. I think the primary purpose of the clamp is to mate the record to the isodamp covering of the platter, as well as eliminating any warps.

All this chit-chat, and no Anna. Fine lungs, probably.

18_anna_netrebko-49416.jpg

You need to listen to 9" SME v 12" SME then you will see whether what you currently believe to be true is actually true

I don't have the time, and it is not possible in any case. I already know that I have no audible tracking distortion in my SME V. So the only "advantage" of a 12" isn't an advantage.

I don't have the time, and it is not possible in any case. I already know that I have no audible tracking distortion in my SME V. So the only "advantage" of a 12" isn't an advantage.

I'd be tempted to keep a more open mind; obviously you're keen on vinyl replay and it might be worth your while to explore more. Not trying to tempt you to trade up or whatever, or even suggesting that what you have is not ideal for you but one often can't imagine an improvement until it's heard.

As for the benefits of 12" arms over 9" arms there is such a plethora of compromise with vinyl replay that I would not bother becoming too committed to any one particular theory when it comes to considering designs.

I'd be tempted to keep a more open mind; obviously you're keen on vinyl replay and it might be worth your while to explore more. Not trying to tempt you to trade up or whatever, or even suggesting that what you have is not ideal for you but one often can't imagine an improvement until it's heard.

True, but I am well aware of what tracking error and end-of-side distortion sound like, and I do not have either with the SME V and A90. So, there is absolutely no point in getting an arm which is compromised in other respects to solve a non-existent problem.

I preferred the SME 12" to the 9" when making a direct comparison (same deck, cart, etc.) More natural and less mechanical sounding.

I preferred the SME 12" to the 9" when making a direct comparison (same deck, cart, etc.) More natural and less mechanical sounding.

I would agree Pete, it's a more natural sounding arm on a more substantial table.

There is no telling James though. What he elects to buy is the "bestist ever" so unless we want page after page of the usual guff and waffle, tell me about the ETF on the Wam :)

Exactly.
You would do yourself a really big favour by actually listening. You lecture people who have wide experience of these decks.. yet, by your own admission, you have never even heard arm or deck. Doesn't that strike you as a little odd?
It's not our hard earned cash at stake, we gain nothing either way. If you listened and thought us wrong, then excellent, problem solved, But if you are mistaken....
You have to listen...this silly 'guru' isn't buying a £20,000 deck...you are.

ETF was awesome. Guy and I spent a long time talking to Frank Schroeder about tonearms over beer. Now that was more interesting than arguing over 9" or 12". I'm sure bub tries to convince the ladies that 9 > 12, too, probably with even less success. :D

ETF was awesome. Guy and I spent a long time talking to Frank Schroeder about tonearms over beer. Now that was more interesting than arguing over 9" or 12". I'm sure bub tries to convince the ladies that 9 > 12, too, probably with even less success. :D

Can you describe what you were listening for and how tracking error sounds Bub?

At low levels you will have just gotten used to it having always heard it. It is only when it is reduced with a 12" arm and you make the comparison that you will appreciate the improvement. The deck itself is also somewhat altered. You don't know until you listen and arm chair hypothesis proves nothing. Everyone who has listened prefers the V12.

Exactly.
You would do yourself a really big favour by actually listening. You lecture people who have wide experience of these decks.. yet, by your own admission, you have never even heard arm or deck. Doesn't that strike you as a little odd?
It's not our hard earned cash at stake, we gain nothing either way. If you listened and thought us wrong, then excellent, problem solved, But if you are mistaken....
You have to listen...this silly 'guru' isn't buying a £20,000 deck...you are.

I can't understand the fuss. I've chosen NOT to buy the deck and arm you have. Is that it?

I've heard other 12" arms, and I would guess that the alleged advantage is not restricted to just the SME V12.

Well, the 'Float' Japanese arm is offered in a nice neat seven inch version. That I really do want to hear. No offset, no bias, all a bit revolutionary. But, who knows, it might just work.
Come to think of it, I also have a Dynavector 507, which has a 'vertical' arm about 3 inches long. How would that appear in Glasgow? Then there was that very tiny little arm for the transcriptors, the 'Vestigal.'

advertisement

Back