advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is that refereeing is not very easy but I struggle to name many that are of true quality. Anthony Taylor has always been the same. just not good enough. A review of the red card incident would surely have been overturned, it might not have affected the result.. but you just do not know.

Referees know that often their failures are demonstrated by VAR.

As you say it is just opinions but I think if technology can be used to right blatant wrongs without interfering with flow then it should be used. Rescinding yellow cards in the background is a case in point and the game actually gains in meaning as it has not been ruined by an incorrect sending off.

For example a player gets a yellow card for nothing in the first half. VAR looks at it in the background and decides it was an incorrect decision. Signal to the ref is made and the decision is reversed at the next natural break in play such as free kick, corner or throw in.
This is actually simpler and does not involve any of the delays of other VAR decisions currently.
Totally see your point. But then what happens when a referee overlooks a yellow card? Should VAR ammend it? It's too much control outside the pitch, but as you noted, IMO.

I really believe the whole thing is best left to the on-field referee to make the decisions. If he decides a second look is in order he could stop play, go pitch-side, have a second look and make the call. In other words, the ref decides on using VAR at all and then makes the decision.

Clone Pierluigi Collina?

Think he's taking over the admin of VAR next season...they're going to wire him up to the matrix and he'll be officiating every game simultaneously.

I genuinely think VAR is killing the game. Yes referees make mistakes, but at least the game was spontaneous. You’d look up and check for an offside flag if you weren’t quite sure, but at least if you celebrated you didn’t look like a tit because eight minutes later they decided that someone’s left toe was an eighth of a millimetre offside. So you don’t celebrate, and all the joy goes out of the game. Decisions are still wrong, VAR didn’t give a clear goal, referees don’t use the monitor, all we’re arguing about is VAR, not football. I remember watching Rochdale as a lad, and arguing after about decisions, no replays there. Part of the fun of the game. The same in the old 1st division. Unless it got shown on match of the day it was just a decision to argue about. To be honest I’ve given many a penalty from the stand that when I see it on TV blatantly isn’t. I just want football back, VAR has ruined it.

I genuinely think VAR is killing the game. Yes referees make mistakes, but at least the game was spontaneous. You’d look up and check for an offside flag if you weren’t quite sure, but at least if you celebrated you didn’t look like a tit because eight minutes later they decided that someone’s left toe was an eighth of a millimetre offside. So you don’t celebrate, and all the joy goes out of the game. Decisions are still wrong, VAR didn’t give a clear goal, referees don’t use the monitor, all we’re arguing about is VAR, not football. I remember watching Rochdale as a lad, and arguing after about decisions, no replays there. Part of the fun of the game. The same in the old 1st division. Unless it got shown on match of the day it was just a decision to argue about. To be honest I’ve given many a penalty from the stand that when I see it on TV blatantly isn’t. I just want football back, VAR has ruined it.
All spot on, but it has to be made to work.

Football os a professional game with a value of who knows how many billion pounds. For this kind of value I think that clubs in all 4 divisions have a right to expect decisions to be correct.

I’m in favour of cameras being used to help make the correct decisions but the implementation could be improved. As a starting point, I would like the captains being formally allowed to challenge the referee’s decision. Something like the 3 challenges per side in each test cricket innings could be a good starting point. This could apply to foul play missed by the ref as well as offside etc.

My “problem” with FIFA and EUEFA is they cannot admit that other sports have already cracked the problem so have decided to plough their own furrow with less than satisfactory results.

Just turn it into American Football, because based on what we've seen that's what's happening only we get the decisions wrong.. As Lordsummit said spontaneity gone, no banter about decisions, all for the money.

Getting back to the Chelsea love-in :), Frank wants a fair start to next season for Chelsea and their players.

I’ve been wondering what he means and I’ve concluded he wants the first 2 fixtures home and away vs Newcastle.

Source BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53631381
I'm not really sure what he's on about either.
Chelsea's season will be over on Saturday unless a minor miracle occurs.:)
The likes of United, Wolves & Mancheater City could be playing until the 3rd week in August.
Frank needs to stop moaning and focus on finding a goalkeeper and a couple of decent defenders otherwise next season will likely be his last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back