advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would it take to source the parts and implement the av bypass?

Would the "balanced solution" limit the av bypass to the MDACs balanced outputs?

Yes, that would be slightly more complex - although it would still be possible with cable modifications on the 5W XLR (Connecting the -XLR's to the Ground on the 5W XLR).

I'd have to order a 5W Female XLR (I only have 5W Male) - I have the balance of components. I'm guessing a week for the connector to arrive.

Well, I hoped the second batch would arrive today, but obviously didn't. Maybe tomorrow..

They arrived about an hour ago - sorry I didn't contact you earlier been checking the Resistors under the Microscope - Good news is that they are the same Metal mask as Charcrofts (VIL 1989 1792). One slight problem is that they are only 1% rather then the 0.1% that should be used. I expect that they are better matched then 1% anyway - and I'll try and to match into channel pairs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/JariP 220R.JPG

Out of interest where did you buy them from? and how did the Price compare to HiFicollective?

Thank you for the Opamps!

I need to clear few MDAC's out first, then your unit :)

Sorry Will no Idea, but I suspect Parcel force as its delivered by the PO.
Cheers John, if it is the PO then it will indeed be Parcel Force, which is good news as the Depo is only a couple of miles away...UPS, TNT, & DHL are significantly less conveniant...

Not long now ;)

Edit; Tracking status now states 'Delivered by PO', so I'll have a red delivery note when I get back, let's just hope the parcel is back at the depot for collection tonight :)

Yes, that would be slightly more complex - although it would still be possible with cable modifications on the 5W XLR (Connecting the -XLR's to the Ground on the 5W XLR).

I'd have to order a 5W Female XLR (I only have 5W Male) - I have the balance of components. I'm guessing a week for the connector to arrive.

I just remembered that my CA 840W has an input selector switch on the backside. I should be able to wire both MDAC (balanced) and AVR (unbalanced) directly.

Maybe it'll be a bit inconvenient but it should suffice for now.

Thanks for your support anyway!

I might offer at a later date a Dual 9018 upgrade PCB for the MDAC...

Oh my..:rolleyes: ;)

I'm going to have to stop here I think. Good enough will have to be good enough.

And it is pretty damned good. So...stop I shall...:(

I hear no difference among them. Can anyone recommend a track that exaggerates the differences?

Wailing Jennys Glory bound from there Firecracker CD.

Also Wailing Jennys "40 Days" CD...

Listen to the reproduction of the layered Female Vocals + Violins / String instruments.

If you cannot hear a different between say OT XD and Sharp filter (the Most extreme case) - then something in your systems is killing its resolving power...

Once you "train" your brain to recognise the differences you will be able to spot them instantly.

When Jiri was here we listen to a unit I'd just had on the Lab bench - played it for a few seconds we glanced at each other then I realised I'd had it set to "Fast" filter for measurements - switched it back to OT XD and we where a pair of happy Bunny's... So sweat!!!

You can't stop now :p

I know!!! Aargh! :eek:

A postponement until my cash supply recovers then.

I'm hoping to wangle an invite to Steven's as soon as I next get to London, perhaps we could compare and contrast as it were. His toy, to my L2. I'd be interested in hearing the difference.

They arrived about an hour ago - sorry I didn't contact you earlier been checking the Resistors under the Microscope - Good news is that they are the same Metal mask as Charcrofts (VIL 1989 1792). One slight problem is that they are only 1% rather then the 0.1% that should be used. I expect that they are better matched then 1% anyway - and I'll try and to match into channel pairs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/JariP 220R.JPG

Out of interest where did you buy them from? and how did the Price compare to HiFicollective?

Thank you for the Opamps!

I need to clear few MDAC's out first, then your unit :)
Great!

They are from Parts ConneXion (Canada), 1% was the only option, unfortunately.

8x220R cost US$169.94 with shipping (UPS) and also had to pay 20 euros for custom dues.

Thanks!

Wailing Jennys Glory bound from there Firecracker CD.

Also Wailing Jennys "40 Days" CD...

Listen to the reproduction of the layered Female Vocals + Violins / String instruments.

If you cannot hear a different between say OT XD and Sharp filter (the Most extreme case) - then something in your systems is killing the resolving power...

Once you "teach" your brain to recognise the differences you will be able to spot them instantly.

When Jiri was here we listen to a unit I'd just had on the Lab bench - played it for a few seconds we glanced at each other then I realised I'd had it set to "Fast" filter for measurements - switched it back to OT XD and we where a pair of happy Bunny's... So sweat!!!

Great!

They are from Parts ConneXion (Canada), 1% was the only option, unfortunately.

8x220R cost US$169.94 with shipping (UPS) and also had to pay 20 euros for custom dues.

OUCH!!! yet again confirming that HiFicollective prices are "decent" for the resistors...

I know!!! Aargh! :eek:

A postponement until my cash supply recovers then.

I'm hoping to wangle an invite to Steven's as soon as I next get to London, perhaps we could compare and contrast as it were. His toy, to my L2. I'd be interested in hearing the difference.

I don't live in London.

Hi John,

I emailed you a few times but I guess you were buried under work. Seeing your post above about ordering parts for the rear XLR option, I thought to better catch your attention here so that parts could arrive on time and not delay the completion of the upgrade of my M-DAC.

I will like to add the rear panel balanced XLR headphone out option that you offered on PFM. I like to check if this option is available: 4-pin XLR connector, where the pin assignment is 1:L+, 2:L-, 3:R+, 4:R-, screen:GND

The above pin assignment is used in the Sennheiser's range of headphone amplifiers (for reference, please see page 16 on http://www.headphone.com/pdfs/HDVD800.pdf)

If the above can be added to my M-DAC's Fusion Upgrade, please let me know how I should proceed to make the GBP 60 payment?

Best,
Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back