advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The resistors are made under license from Vishay. Charcroft buy the blanks and trim them to value with a laser. They come in different nominal values 0-100 ohm 100-500 ohm etc and Charcroft will have to order the 'blanks' in from Vishay. Anything they have in stock is a short delivery time, anything they have to order from Vishay is much further out.

Thanks. That's helpful to know.

- Richard.

@laviefacile
How did you change your 'signature' to Dutch HiFi enthusiast? Wee spelling mistake there BTW.
@pkerai
John posted he used EAR890 with Martin Logan Summits. I agree speakers have a very strong bearing on the final SQ, however I think John has carefully selected these as very revealing and uncoloured. So good for fine details, realism and of course diagnostics.
Hey thanks for bringing it to my attention. Just changed it :) signatures can be changed by using the 'quick links' and then 'edit details'. Off you go!

I just got a message that my MDAC is on its way back to me with the latest upgrade plus Toy upgrade. I will write a review as soon as I have had a proper listen.

Thanks you John for repairing the "butchered" unit (information earlier in the discussion). I guess there was really a lot of eftra work with it.

I just got a message that my MDAC is on its way back to me with the latest upgrade plus Toy upgrade. I will write a review as soon as I have had a proper listen.

Thanks you John for repairing the "butchered" unit (information earlier in the discussion). I guess there was really a lot of eftra work with it.

I noted that your unit was set to DAC Mode - you really should use it directly with the power-amp (No Pre-Amplifier) as the Pre-Amp will just reduce the TOY MDAC's performance.

BTW - I'm VERY VERY happy that with your TOY MDAC's SQ - in fact Renata even commented in bed "Shame we had to ship Joke's MDAC - I'm going to miss it!!!" - Well thats fine "Bed talk" indeed... :mad: But it was indeed stunning SQ :) - So we hope you like it!

Once you reload your A10 software all your old setting should be retained... (Hopefully).

No. I think John was going to contact them a few weeks ago to try and speed things up? Does anyone know how many Fusion orders they have had? I will be very impressed if they get all the orders out first week of July. Something is telling me they won't though.😟

Even if they did it takes me about 2 days a unit (if all goes well)!

I contacted Charcroft directly via http://www.charcroft.com/ and got a reply to my query after a day or so. They have all the resistors in stock for the "Fusion" modification, but their quote came out £110+ more expensive than HiFiCollective.

However, they had stock. If the price had been a bit closer, I'd have been tempted as I've been without my MDAC since the end of April, but having sent it off for a £350 upgrade, I'm now looking at nearly £800 which is a bit difficult, though I'm totally confident it will be worthwhile...

Yes HiFiCollective have the best prices I could find + I arranged a 10% discount for Toy upgrade kit & 15% for the Fusion upgrade kit for fellow PFM'ers :)

I've looked into the direct prciing and Nicks not making much on the deal...

Hi John, did you get my email , regards av by pass and balanced headphone query?
I can sympathize with your work hours at the moment, doing 12/13 hours myself :-/
Unfortunately not from home.
Paid hifi collective by PayPal who took the money straight away, so bit of a cock up there. Still looking forward to some lazy summer days with a g&t in hand ,listening to the MDac later in July.

So is Charcroft just a distributor, and HiFiCollective has ordered from someone else who is cheaper but doesn't have the stock?

- Richard.

Information gleaned by microscopic examination of Bulk Foil 220R resistor sold by Charcroft and Texas Components Corporation.

Mask ID’s :-

VIL 1989 1792 (Charcroft)

VIL 1986 1563 (Texas T2575 series)

At a best guess, I’d say that Vishay Israel manufactured the Bulk foil resistor “Blanks” originally at there Dimona plant which since 1996 has been extended to Be'er Sheva.

There are two (or maybe more)? Companies (Texas Components Corporation & Charcroft) who appear to purchase these “Resistor blanks” from VIL (Vishay IsraeL) Laser trim them (they are supplied in untrimmed resistor ranges) & then “package” them.

From the samples I have, the Charcroft and Texas appear to use a different series or atleast differing foil Mask sets “1792” & “1563” as there’s 3 years between the manufactured date – maybe the Charcroft “1792” is just a later improved version.

I have no idea if they sound the same… I suspect they should be close as they are both manufactured on the same process at VIL.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Charcroft VIL 1989.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Charcroft VIL 1989 1792.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Texas VIL 1986 1563.JPG

I noted that your unit was set to DAC Mode - you really should use it directly with the power-amp (No Pre-Amplifier) as the Pre-Amp will just reduce the TOY MDAC's performance.

BTW - I'm VERY VERY happy that with your TOY MDAC's SQ - in fact Renata even commented in bed "Shame we had to ship Joke's MDAC - I'm going to miss it!!!" - Well thats fine "Bed talk" indeed... :mad: But it was indeed stunning SQ :) - So we hope you like it!

Once you reload your A10 software all your old setting should be retained... (Hopefully).
Thank you!

Is the first thing which you told also valid with an integrated amplifier? I have a Lavardin IS amplifier, and it has only one input that is direct (a modification made in the Lavardin factory), and that one is reserved to drive the main channels from my home theatre amp. Or should I consider buying a power amp? (Recommendations in this case?) Or is it (speaking about sound quality) ok to use the normal inputs of my amp with the pre-amp adjustment in the MDAC?

I am glad to hear that both you and Renata were happy with the sound quality of the unit. Really promising news!

Thank you!

Is the first thing which you told also valid with an integrated amplifier? I have a Lavardin IS amplifier, and it has only one input that is direct (a modification made in the cccc factory), and that one is reserved to drive the main channels from my home theatre amp. Or should I consider buying a power amp? (Recommendations in this case?) Or is it (speaking about sound quality) ok to use the normal inputs of my amp with the pre-amp adjustment in the MDAC?

I am glad to hear that both you and Renata were happy with the sound quality of the unit. Really promising news!

What you really should try and find is a Power amplfier with Balanced inputs :)

You could try your Lavardin on its AV inputs with the MDAC in Pre-amplifier mode - it depends how Lavardin have wired the AV inputs (if they are truly direct, or still passages the Pre-amplifier stage but with the gain set to Max)...

Still - Balanced input is the way to go...

Thank you!

Is the first thing which you told also valid with an integrated amplifier? I have a Lavardin IS amplifier, and it has only one input that is direct (a modification made in the Lavardin factory), and that one is reserved to drive the main channels from my home theatre amp. Or should I consider buying a power amp? (Recommendations in this case?) Or is it (speaking about sound quality) ok to use the normal inputs of my amp with the pre-amp adjustment in the MDAC?

With regard to your integrated amp I think you may be able to configure it for the best of both worlds...assuming I've not misunderstood you ;)

If by 'Direct' you mean that you have a 'Pass Through' input (which you are using from your AV amp), you could reserve that for the MDAC and use its pre amp capabilities via that channel.

That will obviously cause you issues with your AV setup...However most AV amps will have a 'Line out' from the decoder for all channels, so connect the L&R from there to one of the standard inputs in your amp, then just balance the AV channels at around 12 O'clock on your amp...

Hope that makes sense, it's similar to my setup (functionally), except I don't have a direct/pass-through input on my pre amp, so I've had to use an RCA router to switch between my MDAC and Analogue Pre into my power amps (not really an option with an integrated amp though) :)

BDAC's on hold - after Munich we agreed to change course with Mike Creek - we submitted the PCB schematic for a budget DAC for Creeks in house designer to layout - we will "technically" support the design of this DAC and Dominic will write the software - but its not going to be what the BDAC was intended to be.

Due to production costs - Creeks BDAC version would need to retail closer to GBP1000 - the same price as the MDAC + L2 upgrade, and the BDAC using a pair of the ESS9023 is never going to compete in SQ terms.

In fact Dominik and I where really disappointed listening to the ESS9023's (on a demo board) we trusted too much in others opinion of the ESS9023 performance - really they are "Cxxp" - it was all very depressing especially after spending almost a year on the design...

I developed a lot of new circuits during the design of the BDAC – so later down the road I’ll redesign the BDAC with a pair of high-end ESS DACs, so it will be an even better DAC :) – but its not going to happen quickly!

This whole MDAC modification experience has highlighted a different direction for me. I feel that no design can compete with the SQ of the Fusion’ed MDAC without the use of the Bulk Film resistors… so basically I lost a year of my life finding out this lesson with the BDAC…
there is still a few ways to exceed the performance fusioned l2 mdac offers
-support higher sampling rates via usb(such as 384 kS/s)
-add more filter options
-using more dac chips to bring the noise down and/or avoid the left channel clock locking bug(was it left channel?).
-use a better dac chip, but i guess it doesn't exist any atm.
the price of mdac+l2+fusion is pretty high, maybe it's possible to get that performance at a lower price.

the price of mdac+l2+fusion is pretty high, maybe it's possible to get that performance at a lower price.

A significant expense is the cost Bull Foil resistors - without these, NO DAC will have have that special virtue the Fusion MDAC offers - well I've never heard one anyway!

Consider the total Fusion "Upgrade" package costs GBP1300, or about 1200 if bought new... No DAC at this price point comes even close IMO... :)

I don't see 384Fs important at this time - but a pair of dual 9018 is worthwhile..

I might offer at a later date a Dual 9018 upgrade PCB for the MDAC...

it depends how Lavardin have wired the AV inputs (if they are truly direct, or still passages the Pre-amplifier stage but with the gain set to Max)...

...ah good point John, I was assuming 'Pass Through', or bypassing the pre stage.

I tried to get a mod like this made to my 8000Q pre amp, my my electronics man stated that it would be rather difficult and messy, and advised a good quality external RCA router...which works very well :)

...ah good point John, I was assuming 'Pass Through', or bypassing the pre stage.

I tried to get a mod like this made to my 8000Q pre amp, my my electronics man stated that it would be rather difficult and messy, and advised a good quality external RCA router...which works very well :)

You should have had the AV bypass option added to your DAC :( You could have routed your 8000Q for analogue sources via the AV input...

You should have had the AV bypass option added to your DAC :(

I considered it John, but as I already have a good quality router I decided not to bother...particularly as it needs a power off and on to activate it, which would drop my SBTouch's USB connection etc.

The router works fine for me, allows me to keep the MDAC on all the time, use it as a pre amp, and have my AV/Analogue functionality...:)

I use this one;

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/7240.html

...and it'll do until the MPAX comes alond

I thought about that but then it will be obsolete when the MPAX arrives...

Is the signal converted to a balanced signal?

Not really true balanced - but will work on the XLR outputs, just a -6dB gain reduction... (XLR- connected to RCA Ground).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back