advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( it will still degrade the MDAC 's output a little - while the AV bypass option would not...

Any connection will obviously not have an advantageous effect on SQ, but the RCA router is of good quality so it will be marginal...and it's a case of swings and roundabouts, I use Bi-amping via my Audiolab 8000P/SX combo, so the router (I've had it modded for both A & B output) allows me to wire my power amps in parallel, rather than having to daisy chain them from the single MDAC RCA out...

...if that makes sense :)

I shan't be trying the new PSU until I've become properly accustomed to the Toy sound with the standard PSU. Then, and only then, I'll see what happens with the former. Watch out for it on "Classifieds"?
BTW, Would the L-R sound stage collapse as a result of the heat you mention, or something else, e.g. the sagging voltage Steve mentioned?
P.S. @Steve, is STIFF good? I thought it meant CORPSE.

Information gleaned by microscopic examination of Bulk Foil 220R resistor sold by Charcroft and Texas Components Corporation.

Mask ID’s :-

VIL 1989 1792 (Charcroft)

VIL 1986 1563 (Texas T2575 series)
Hi John,

is the Texas variant from the batch I sent to you?

I remember question attenuation resistors have been brought up here before, but I can't find it

what values to use for approx. 15 db attenuation balanced (charcroft foil) MDAC - 104kOhm input impedance?

No - I've still not see your batch yet (when are they expected to arrive)? I've received the part set for you from HiFicollective.
Well, I hoped the second batch would arrive today, but obviously didn't. Maybe tomorrow..

I remember question attenuation resistors have been brought up here before, but I can't find it

what values to use for approx. 15 db attenuation balanced (charcroft foil) MDAC - 104kOhm input impedance?

Is it really worth added the attenuators for -15dB? - what's your normal listening levels?

Better to send the money for the Charcroft resistors internal to the MDAC.

Is it really worth added the attenuators for -15dB? - what's your normal listening levels?

Better to send the money for the Charcroft resistors internal to the MDAC.

some tracks I am listening down to -40db ( even lower with 108db horns) and never higher than -15

TOY resistors and MDAC already on its way to you :)

Fusion/ new MDAC on order for later ;)

Hi John (or anyone who knows), what UK carrier is used for delivery? UPS, TNT, Parcel Force?

Cheers,

Will

John,

The situation is this, I,ve sold my av pre and power amp and gone for an Anthem receiver with no av bypass.
The idea was to make room for your Mamp. Until then I have no way of bypassing the processing in the receiver.
So I was wondering if the av bypass could be achieved via the Mamp of the Mpax ( if this product appears) and therefore there would be no need for the mm av bypass in the Mdac?.

This would also allow me to have a balanced headphone output , if this is still an option?
I recall jiri and yourself looking at the possibility of a front balanced headphone option .

Cheers hope this makes sense.

What you really should try and find is a Power amplfier with Balanced inputs :)

You could try your Lavardin on its AV inputs with the MDAC in Pre-amplifier mode - it depends how Lavardin have wired the AV inputs (if they are truly direct, or still passages the Pre-amplifier stage but with the gain set to Max)...

Still - Balanced input is the way to go...
I don't know how they have made the Lavardin's modification, but I was told that changing the gain should not affect the sound pressure more than +- 1-2dB. On basis of this, I presume that the modification is the latter of the alternatives that you described.

I guess I first have to try to have a switch box for loudspeaker wiring and have thus two separate loudspeaker cable lines going to that (and one out), the first from Lavardin and the second from the av-amplifier (Primare). This guarantees that I can listen my cd-records, Digitalconcerthall-broadcasts and music files (MacBookPro) directly trough MDAC as a pre-amplifier and Lavardin as the power amp.

I strongly consider buying a power amp, but need first to listen a while music with my MDAC.

Thanks for the comments!

I contacted Charcroft directly via http://www.charcroft.com/ and got a reply to my query after a day or so. They have all the resistors in stock for the "Fusion" modification, but their quote came out £110+ more expensive than HiFiCollective.

I find that incredible, as I'd wager that the latter is likely be on 100% mark-up.

I would take that up with Vishay direct as, I suspect that, 'industrial quantities' aren't that huge with this type of component. I'm surprised that some Pink Fish entrepreneur hasn't already come up with something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back