advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I considered it John, but as I already have a good quality router I decided not to bother...particularly as it needs a power off and on to activate it, which would drop my SBTouch's USB connection etc.

The router works fine for me, allows me to keep the MDAC on all the time, use it as a pre amp, and have my AV/Analogue functionality...:)

I use this one;

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/7240.html

...and it'll do until the BDAC comes alond

:( it will still degrade the MDAC 's output a little - while the AV bypass option would not... (if anything the AV bypass option would slightly degrade the AV input due to the extra connectors / relay)...

You DAC should be with you today?

FYI, John, mine is due today. In fact, as luck would have it, of course it came in the 30 min. period my wife was out getting my son yesterday. Not that there was any way of knowing - no indication of delivery time on the website. Now that it has a redelivery code from TNT Holland, that website says "today before 3". I'm going nowhere!;)

FYI, John, mine is due today. In fact, as luck would have it, of course it came in the 30 min. period my wife was out getting my son yesterday. Not that there was any way of knowing - no indication of delivery time on the website. Now that it has a redelivery code from TNT Holland, that website says "today before 3". I'm going nowhere!;)

Yes - that's just TYPICAL!!!

Dont forget to allow time for it to warm up first :) and it now has V0.90 software installed...

Not really true balanced - but will work on the XLR outputs, just a -6dB gain reduction... (XLR- connected to RCA Ground).

At the moment I'm using an "active tuning module" between my MDAC and the CA 840W power amp. It's some kind of analogue signal processor matched to my speakers. But I'm mainly using it to switch between different sources (MDAC and AVR front channels). I don't like this solution because it forces me to use unbalanced connections and it's another component in the signal path. I'd guess this is not an optimal solution for a fusion'ed MDAC.

atm_offen.jpg

Dont forget to allow time for it to warm up first :) and it now has V0.90 software installed...

Yes, will do. As soon it has arrived, I'll switch it on. I'll listen to it this evening.
Incidentally, I couldn't resist, but whilst my unit was meeting its Maker, I bought a secondhand MCRU PSU (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/power-supplies/523-linear-power-supply-for-audiolab-m-dac.html). I won't use it until I've become accustomed to the Toy sound with regular PSU (so that I can try to make a comparison if anyone is interested), but my question is: Is there anything in MDAC L2 Toy that would make the MCRU PSU a risk to use?

At the moment I'm using an "active tuning module" between my MDAC and the CA 840W power amp. It's some kind of analogue signal processor matched to my speakers. But I'm mainly using it to switch between different sources (MDAC and AVR front channels). I don't like this solution because it forces me to use unbalanced connections and it's another component in the signal path. I'd guess this is not an optimal solution for a fusion'ed MDAC.

atm_offen.jpg

wow, a box of pure electronic snakeoil magic ?

Yes, will do. As soon it has arrived, I'll switch it on. I'll listen to it this evening.
Incidentally, I couldn't resist, but whilst my unit was meeting its Maker, I bought a secondhand MCRU PSU (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/power-supplies/523-linear-power-supply-for-audiolab-m-dac.html). I won't use it until I've become accustomed to the Toy sound with regular PSU (so that I can try to make a comparison if anyone is interested), but my question is: Is there anything in MDAC L2 Toy that would make the MCRU PSU a risk to use?

will be very interesting to know your verdict about the MCRU PSU

The L2MDAC and its Toy / Fusion derivatives require higher current, so I hope the MCRU PSU will be Ok...

atm_offen.jpg

OH no - it will have to GO!!! Everything that the Fusion does can be stripped away by such a box... the resolution achieved by the Bulk Foil resistors can / will be so easily lost by any electronics in the signal path!

What is the point of that box of signal path extension?

(Sez he who uses a valve pre but will try with and without when Toy #1 arrives)

OH no - it will have to GO!!! Everything that the Fusion does can be stripped away by such a box... the resolution achieved by the Bulk Foil resistors can / will be so easily lost by any electronics in the signal path!

Just a thought, can the mm av bypass be done in a balanced way with dual 3-pin mini xlr or one 5-pin mini xlr connector? I could make an adapter rca-to-xlr (rca ground to xlr-) for now and would still have the option of using an AV Preamp with balanced output at a later date.

Just a thought, can the mm av bypass be done in a balanced way with dual 3-pin mini xlr or one 5-pin mini xlr connector? I could make an adapter rca-to-xlr (rca ground to xlr-) for now and still have the option of using an AV Preamp with balanced output at a later date.

Yes - with a 5W XLR... :)

Hi John, did you get my email , regards av by pass and balanced headphone query?
I can sympathize with your work hours at the moment, doing 12/13 hours myself :-/
Unfortunately not from home.
Paid hifi collective by PayPal who took the money straight away, so bit of a cock up there. Still looking forward to some lazy summer days with a g&t in hand ,listening to the MDac later in July.

Erh... IIRC you want the Headphone balanced output in place of the AV bypass?

Sorry, been so buried recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back