advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps, anyone had any further thought or preferably experiment with the MDac into class D amps?
Not sure about "Experiment", since I've only tried one configuration. Ever since it arrived a year ago, my unmodified black M-DAC, running V 0.90, has been happily feeding my Class D Flying Mole (Yes, really!) MA-S150 2x 100w amp, via Transparent cable into Audiovector 3X, with superb results. For example, differences of software are very noticeable, and nothing touches V0.90 (cf comments by John). The main source is a modified Mac Mini running Audirvana+, and the M-DAC/amp shows up all the variations of versions there. All I can say is that this Class D (sadly, long out of production) sings beautifully when driven by the M-DAC.

Not sure about "Experiment", since I've only tried one configuration. Ever since it arrived a year ago, my unmodified black M-DAC, running V 0.90, has been happily feeding my Class D Flying Mole (Yes, really!) MA-S150 2x 100w amp, via Transparent cable into Audiovector 3X, with superb results. For example, differences of software are very noticeable, and nothing touches V0.90 (cf comments by John). The main source is a modified Mac Mini running Audirvana+, and the M-DAC/amp shows up all the variations of versions there. All I can say is that this Class D (sadly, long out of production) sings beautifully when driven by the M-DAC.
Interesting stuff, I've been thinking about my next step with amplifiers, and I'm quite taken with the idea of 4 Bantam Monoblocks...certainly something of low power consumption, that can be left on, has to be the way forward for me

Wyred4Sound W4S ST-500 250watts 8ohms looks tidy. It's their ICE power implementation. Balanced inputs at £1295 .

Wailing Jennys Glory bound from there Firecracker CD.

Also Wailing Jennys "40 Days" CD...

Listen to the reproduction of the layered Female Vocals + Violins / String instruments.

If you cannot hear a different between say OT XD and Sharp filter (the Most extreme case) - then something in your systems is killing its resolving power...

Once you "train" your brain to recognise the differences you will be able to spot them instantly.

When Jiri was here we listen to a unit I'd just had on the Lab bench - played it for a few seconds we glanced at each other then I realised I'd had it set to "Fast" filter for measurements - switched it back to OT XD and we where a pair of happy Bunny's... So sweat!!!

Hi John,

I forgot to say, I bought those two albums last week. Glory Bound is amazing (even on the stock MDAC ;-) . Thank you for the recommendation!

Also, did you see this?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/audiolab-q-dac

Lacks the magic of its big brother and has not as good build quality. Shows you cannot just reverse engineer and remove bits and still end up with a similar product!

Ben

Wyred4Sound W4S ST-500 250watts 8ohms looks tidy. It's their ICE power implementation. Balanced inputs at £1295 .

For that price you can buy 2 Ncore 400 modules + PS's and a case to house them. Ice modules sound like, well, what people think Class D sounds like. The Ncores make beautiful liquid music.

For that price you can buy 2 Ncore 400 modules + PS's and a case to house them. Ice modules sound like, well, what people think Class D sounds like. The Ncores make beautiful liquid music.

+1 what he said. I often utterly forget that my ncore's are class D amps to begin with.

Hello John,

I would like to sign up for your fusion modification.

One question: Is it possible with the PSU with AV bypass to feed an unbalanced signal and pass through to the power amp connected balanced ?

Thank you very much.

PS
Is there an overview of all the different modifications that you offer currently ?

Hi John,

I forgot to say, I bought those two albums last week. Glory Bound is amazing (even on the stock MDAC ;-) . Thank you for the recommendation!

Not sure if you noticed but only the first two tracks on the Firecracker CD are well record the rest of the CD is "standard" quality. I go as far as saying the these first two tracks are some of the best recorded quality you can get on CD...

The whole "40 Days" CD is very well recorded!

Also, did you see this?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/audiolab-q-dac

Lacks the magic of its big brother and has not as good build quality. Shows you cannot just reverse engineer and remove bits and still end up with a similar product!

Ben

Give credit to What HiFi :) - they said it as it is!!! As I say there are some good guys at What HiFi who do really listen and care :)

I'd not recommend the Wyred4Sound - ICE power are not the best sounding ClassD.... The Hypex UCD (& NCore) are better - although I'm not the greatest fan of UCD, and have not heard the NCore yet, but ICE Power is not great...

If you can hear the difference between software then you have a system with decent resolving power... :) Long live V0.90 even with all its Bugs and lack of features!

I'd not recommend the Wyred4Sound - ICE power are not the best sounding ClassD.... The Hypex UCD (& NCore) are better - although I'm not the greatest fan of UCD, and have not heard the NCore yet, but ICE Power is not great...

Any you would suggest then?
Fancy a project for the DIY room... ClassD maybe? Only when you have some spare time (lol!)

Sam

Ice power in the Rotels are harsh and un-involving. But reports are the W4S are very good by all means . Not heard one myself.

So are these NCores a DIY job? Looking on t'interweb , Hypex NCores , will take a butchers.

Cheers. Worth a read. Ah browser was a little slow , I see there are more replies

I love that John W. and Co are giving feedbacks, comments, upgrade options.
Just that it's quite impossible to find things in this forum.

Are there "official announcements" links that highlights:
1) Progress, status, expected dates of new products (MAMP, MPAX, MIMP, MXXX, BXXX....)
Not sure any of them is out yet actually.
2) List of upgrade options available, price, "how to" etc

Many many thanks.
Another thing:
Considering the Audiolab M-pwr to go with my standard MDAC, not sure whether it's a good choice or not.

Ice power in the Rotels are harsh and un-involving. But reports are the W4S are very good by all means . Not heard one myself.

So are these NCores a DIY job? Looking on t'interweb , Hypex NCores , will take a butchers.

Cheers. Worth a read. Ah browser was a little slow , I see there are more replies

Putting the Ncores together barely qualifies as DIY. If you surf the hi fi forums, particularly Audio Circles you will find mention of all the amps that have been usurped by the Ncores. To say its an impressive list is something of an understatement and what led a number of people including me to buy them unheard.

Building nCores:

You'll need the following to build a pair of nCore monoblocks, my choices in spec, others choose different:

2 pcs nCore nc400 (hypex.nl)
2 pcs SMPS600 (PSU hypex.nl)
2 pcs Chassi (http://www.19zoll.com/)
2 pcs Chassis feet (eBay)
2 pcs Furutech IEC
2 pcs Furutech XLR female
2 pcs Cardas speaker connectors (http://www.hificollective.co.uk/)
2 sets internal speakerwire, few cm.
20 pcs M3*10 sunk screws

All screws except for IEC, XLR and feet are included.

All cabling except between nc400 and speaker connectors are included.

Five points per monoblock needs to be soldered, 3 to XLR and 2 to speakerconnectors.

Drill holes in chosen chassi for amp and PSU modules, connect provided cables, solder conns and you're set to go.

Took me a saturday from 9 to 5 to build.

Totalcost something like ~ 1700 €, chassis, Furutechs and Cardas cost a bit.

My nCores here (LarsSt) - - > http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bvp8d148pvkdmsdtb6o2160i95&topic=105438.560

Sonically I'd rate them as a 6-7 on 10 grade scale. Discovered some reproducable sonical errors, at least in my system with MDAC as Pre/DAC and Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne speakers.

Building nCores:

You'll need the following to build a pair of nCore monoblocks, my choices in spec, others choose different:

2 pcs nCore nc400 (hypex.nl)
2 pcs SMPS600 (PSU hypex.nl)
2 pcs Chassi (http://www.19zoll.com/)
2 pcs Chassis feet (eBay)
2 pcs Furutech IEC
2 pcs Furutech XLR female
2 pcs Cardas speaker connectors (http://www.hificollective.co.uk/)
2 sets internal speakerwire, few cm.
20 pcs M3*10 sunk screws

All screws except for IEC, XLR and feet are included.

All cabling except between nc400 and speaker connectors are included.

Five points per monoblock needs to be soldered, 3 to XLR and 2 to speakerconnectors.

Drill holes in chosen chassi for amp and PSU modules, connect provided cables, solder conns and you're set to go.

Took me a saturday from 9 to 5 to build.

Totalcost something like ~ 1700 €, chassis, Furutechs and Cardas cost a bit.

My nCores here (LarsSt) - - > http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=bvp8d148pvkdmsdtb6o2160i95&topic=105438.560

Sonically I'd rate them as a 6-7 on 10 grade scale. Discovered some reproducable sonical errors, at least in my system with MDAC as Pre/DAC and Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne speakers.

Interesting. So which amps have you heard in the 7-10 range of your grade scale?

@IanSR
on Audio Circles you will find mention of all the amps that have been usurped by the Ncores.
Could you post a link please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back