advertisement

General Election 2024

I think it's safe to say that allowing UK child benefit for more than two kids is not going to create an overpopulation problem in the UK. Therefore capping it is simply performative cruelty, pandering to feelings of smugness and vengeance in some of the electorate. Not civilised.

I'd more easily set a ceiling for the highest pensions. And another for the highest salaries (£250k/year?).

Had several all in the same delivery yesterday, two from labour- a part 1 and part 2, part 1 had a picture of small boats in the channel. Straight in thr bin with the Tory and Reform garbage.

Next door has his Reform poster in his bay window and there is a massive Reform banner strapped to the gable end of someone's house up the road. Pretty grim locally.
It just needs a milkshake sign under it.

The Reform amateurism and swivel eyedness is really coming to the fore as we enter the final week. I mean, Farage's blue blazer and mustard slacks alone. 🤢

The hardcore Reformers will blame it on an Establishment hit job and lap it up, but I think we might see a sizeable number of mainstream Tories will have second thoughts in the polling booth.

The Reform amateurism and swivel eyedness is really coming to the fore as we enter the final week. I mean, Farage's blue blazer and mustard slacks alone. 🤢

The hardcore Reformers will blame it on an Establishment hit job and lap it up, but I think we might see a sizeable number of mainstream Tories will have second thoughts in the polling booth.

Farage has gone “full Portillo”……….you never go full Portillo……

"There is only one choice."

Elton knows who to vote for.

53824877586_c8599b243b_n.jpg

Which bit of Labour’s manifesto promises to help musicians and artists?

I see the statements that children will have access to sport, music, art and drama, but they already do have access. They might have to pay for it but Labour is not promising to bring down those barriers, only to fund 0.2 teachers per school IF it can raise the expected money from VAT on private schools.

Even if Labour raise the £1.5b, how is 1/5 of a teacher going to improve sport, music, art and drama?

53824877586_c8599b243b_n.jpg

Which bit of Labour’s manifesto promises to help musicians and artists?

I see the statements that children will have access to sport, music, art and drama, but they already do have access. They might have to pay for it but Labour is not promising to bring down those barriers, only to fund 0.2 teachers per school.

How is 1/5 of a teacher going to improve sport, music, art and drama?
If it’s a serious question? Then by 1/5 of a teacher. These are the fag papers alluded to earlier. Granted, we hear little about outcomes. More on quantity, however minuscule.

What Labour haven’t told us are the more worrying aspects… There are many levers they could pull in different directions. All of which they’re silent upon.

The food bank situation (that the tories seem so pround of multipling hugely in their tenure) - here's a thing.
Taylor Swift has reportedly donated more to them on the stops in her tour than the flippin government.
They still probably assume they are not really needed.
No matter what one thinks of her / her music, thats a gesture to behold.

re covid: as we enter a second, summer wave of infections driven by the new KP.3 variant following from the May peak [see covid thread]:

Labour’s manifesto does not mention indoor air quality or cleaner air, [unlike the Greens and LDs but it does commit [vaguely]to implementing the findings from the Covid-19 Inquiry - which could include such measures and hopefully a whole host of other measures designed to improve the country’s resilience to future pandemics.

If it’s a serious question? Then by 1/5 of a teacher. These are the fag papers alluded to earlier. Granted, we hear little about outcomes. More on quantity, however minuscule.

What Labour haven’t told us are the more worrying aspects… There are many levers they could pull in different directions. All of which they’re silent upon.
Of course it’s a serious question. The fag paper argument is pathetic. Education is in turmoil. Papering over the massive and numerous cracks with a single Rizla is not an argument, it’s a con.

How is one fifth of an unqualified teacher spread across four subject areas going to make any difference? Just do the maths.

Except that same fraction of a teacher is also expected to help with maths.

What about the 80% of schools that will get no extra teacher at all?

Labour’s plans are delusional.

Of course it’s a serious question. The fag paper argument is pathetic. Education is in turmoil. Papering over the massive and numerous cracks with a single Rizla is not an argument, it’s a con.

How is one fifth of an unqualified teacher spread across four subject areas going to make any difference? Just do the maths.

Except that same fraction of a teacher is also expected to help with maths.

What about the 80% of schools that will get no extra teacher at all?

Labour’s plans are delusional.
Easy tiger. You are entitled to deride them. I didn’t say they were good either. Just a difference between manifestos. What they aren’t saying should worry you more IMO.

Hopefully better than upping the heating allowance so they just open all the windows - or knock big holes in the walls / ceiling (school buildings seem to be able to do this all by themselves with the ongoing concrete garbage situation)

Hopefully better than upping the heating allowance so they just open all the windows - or knock big holes in the walls / ceiling (school buildings seem to be able to do this all by themselves with the ongoing concrete garbage situation)
This is what the 0.2 teachers will be doing, sticking fag papers over the cracks in the walls and ceilings.

Or is it like a single teacher being cut 5 ways, one fag paper has to do all the schools?

Have Labour “fully funded’ extra Rizlas? If not, that can’t happen. Them’s the rules

Easy tiger. You are entitled to deride them. I didn’t say they were good either. Just a difference between manifestos. What they aren’t saying should worry you more IMO.
You don’t need to worry about what they’re not saying, what they are saying is delusional enough

re covid: as we enter a second, summer wave of infections driven by the new KP.3 variant following from the May peak [see covid thread]:

Labour’s manifesto does not mention indoor air quality or cleaner air, [unlike the Greens and LDs but it does commit [vaguely]to implementing the findings from the Covid-19 Inquiry - which could include such measures and hopefully a whole host of other measures designed to improve the country’s resilience to future pandemics.

I've got covid at the moment. Wasn't offered a jab this year, and I think this bout is longer and more severe because of it.

advertisement

Back