advertisement

General Election 2024

Any particular reason why pensioners with income above the personal allowance should be except from income tax?
That question brought back a memory -- it maybe has nothing to do with it, decide for yourself.

About 2005 I went to visit Kew with a friend who at the time was maybe 85. He was rich in a way -- pension from the old GLC, rental income from a flat in Notting Hill, he had his own large flat in Kensington.. I paid for my ticket, full price. But he got his very much reduced because he was an OAP.

I was outraged. I had to stop myself saying "Why should my taxes subsidise your entrance to Kew Gardens?"

When you hit 60 you'll be entitled to get an Oyster Card yourself, for just £10 a year 'till you're 66 I think. Then it's free.

That would be amazing, potentially create a gap for a new lefter wing party? I’d like to see a super majority so closer ties with Europe could be pushed through.

The site of all the Tories crying into their cocoa would be hilarious.

Certainly an encouraging poll. All about the majority now.

There's already a big gap on the left (at least in England). Corbyn needs to anoint a successor so that person can lead the charge.

As an aside, CH4 News did a great secret filming job on Reform in Clacton. Lead piece this evening. (Edit - I see it's already been mentioned up thread).

Pensioner Bus Passes, discounted admission fees, Senior Railcards, etc..all encourage pensioners to travel, to visit attractions and amenities etc...and to spend a bit of their pension. This provides business income for said amenities, often at times when the rest of the population is at work, in school, etc.. These concessions also keep older people active, which has knock on effects for health...etc..etc..

That question brought back a memory -- it maybe has nothing to do with it, decide for yourself.

About 2005 I went to visit Kew with a friend who at the time was maybe 85. He was rich in a way -- pension from the old GLC, rental income from a flat in Notting Hill, he had his own large flat in Kensington.. I paid for my ticket, full price. But he got his very much reduced because he was an OAP.

I was outraged. I had to stop myself saying "Why should my taxes subsidise your entrance to Kew Gardens?"

When you hit 60 you'll be entitled to get an Oyster Card yourself, for just £10 a year 'till you're 66 I think. Then it's free.
That all seems sensible to me. Same as reduced entry fees for students or unwaged/low income people.

Average pensioner income is ~£20k. Obviously some are minted but you can't really means test every wrinkly that steps up the ticket barrier.

Unfortunately a lot of young people are having their minds corroded by what they see on Tik Tok. I don't use it so I don't know if Reform/Farage are spamming it, but a lot of their shit is being regurgitated by a demographic you wouldn't associate it with.

Well, if ks234 (or whatever his moniker is) is correct that “Democracy is a problem that neoliberalism is trying to solve”, it seems to have won in Chichester. So many interviewed have given up entirely on democracy and politics and politicians.
This would be exactly what a rapacious, unchained, malignant variant of neo-capitalism would want. “Everyone stay at home, watch the telly, give up, support millionaire demagogues (and let us get on with stripping your country to the bones). Job done.

I guess Mr. Jones and I must have different definitions of "right-wing". There's no doubt that The Economist is very much pro-free trade, free markets and deregulation, but I've found that the positions it takes are generally sensible ones, well, in my opinion anyway. (Of course, it doesn't always get it right - it argued against any sort of relief effort during the 1840s' Irish potato famine (which arguably led to the loss of Ireland to the UK), but then, so did the rest of the mainland press).

I’m expecting Starmer to renege on that and lowering the voting age as it is a good policy, and he backs away from all of those at the first opportunity. I’ll be amazed if it is legislated.
When S'Kewer runs out of policy pledges to renege on, he'll make up a another 10 pledge manifesto to keep him in reneges . . . :p

And a pragmatist who seems interested in getting things done.
Reneging is 'getting things done' in S'Kewer World. See above.

John

I'm hardly ecstatic myself but...
In your estimation is his administration going to be more bloody awful than the last 14 years?
Has Starmer given any substantial indication there is going to be any ideological break with the last 14 years, other than it will be slicker and less chaotic?

?

Have enjoyed music by both but may have missed a memo.
I am a Radiohead fan, never cared much for Cave though I can appreciate he is a skilled songwriter and compelling performer.

Both have recently and unapologetically played concerts in Tel Aviv despite pleas from The BDS movement and Palestinian cultural organisations not to help normalise Israeli apartheid.

I feel that, in the near 50yrs I've been working now I've paid my fair share of tax. It seems kind of wrong to promote saving for your old age and reducing the burden you impose on the state by giving you tax breaks to incentivise the saving in the first place only to hit you later in life with taxes on those savings when you come to realise them.

They then have the audacity to tax you when you have the temerity to go and die on them.

For me it's in the same ball park as both Labour and the Conservatives telling us they're not going to increase taxes directly whist omitting to remind everybody the tax thresholds will be (are) frozen and you will actually be paying more tax (if your earnings increase).

YMMV.

Regards

Richard

Thought this was good. The difference between electoral success and actual government, between being in office and being in power, is starting to be addressed by commentators.

‘Yet this impression [of strength] will almost certainly be deceptive. The support of four in 10 voters, from what may well be a low turnout, after a campaign that does not feel as if it has gripped the public, is not really an overwhelming national mandate. For a Starmer government, an awkward gap may quickly open up between the strength of its Commons position, raising expectations that Labour can pass almost any legislation, and the limited resources and political will that the government has to transform the country.’

I feel that, in the near 50yrs I've been working now I've paid my fair share of tax. It seems kind of wrong to promote saving for your old age and reducing the burden you impose on the state by giving you tax breaks to incentivise the saving in the first place only to hit you later in life with taxes on those savings when you come to realise them.
Surely the whole point of private pensions being tax efficient is that the contributions are tax free (up to £60k) but income tax is levied when you draw on them under the assumption that you'll have a lower income.
They then have the audacity to tax you when you have the temerity to go and die on them.
I'd rather pay tax when I'm dead than alive.
For me it's in the same ball park as both Labour and the Conservatives telling us they're not going to increase taxes directly whist omitting to remind everybody the tax thresholds will be (are) frozen and you will actually be paying more tax (if your earnings increase).
Absolutely agree - and to me this is the nub of the argument. The state pension is only being drawn into being liable for income tax because thresholds have been frozen for so long. So much for the 'low tax' Conservatives. Better to raise thresholds for everyone on a low income than specifically target pensioners.
Perhaps but maybe not so much as all that.

advertisement

Back