advertisement

General Election 2024

Curious to know the precise price for Labour’s endorsement of genocide and apartheid? How many grubby racist Zionist £s did that take?
It’s a pro rata payment. Starmer actually gets quite a small amount for every Palestinian child murdered or starved to death, but it soon mounts up.

Has he? For months he's been saying Labour won't scrap it because there's "no money" and Labour face "difficult choices".
Starmer supporters don’t listen to what Labour is actually saying, because what they’re saying in so Tory.

TBF, there might be a fag paper of difference between Labour and Tory.

Vote for a fag paper, you know it makes sense

Starmer has already said he will be looking at the 2 child limit on Child Benefit.
At the risk of upsetting some on the forum I'm confused as to the issue over Child Benefit and limiting it to 'only' two.

Given we need to reduce the global population overall why do we want to 'encourage' families having more than two children?

There really are far more substantial issues that need addressing.

Regards

Richard

When S'Kewer runs out of policy pledges to renege on, he'll make up a another 10 pledge manifesto to keep him in reneges . . . :p

Reneging is 'getting things done' in S'Kewer World. See above.

John

Er, he hasn't been elected yet but putting that aside for a moment, people change their minds. It's a healthy trait.

At the risk of upsetting some on the forum I'm confused as to the issue over Child Benefit and limiting it to 'only' two.

Given we need to reduce the global population overall why do we want to 'encourage' families having more than two children?

Regards

Richard
The average number is already less than two. It's just a Tory exercise in being nasty. The falling birth rate in the UK in actually a serious issue for the economy that nobody talks about owing to the aging population.

I guess Mr. Jones and I must have different definitions of "right-wing". There's no doubt that The Economist is very much pro-free trade, free markets and deregulation, but I've found that the positions it takes are generally sensible ones, well, in my opinion anyway. (Of course, it doesn't always get it right - it argued against any sort of relief effort during the 1840s' Irish potato famine (which arguably led to the loss of Ireland to the UK), but then, so did the rest of the mainland press).

It's an old joke that everything that doesn't conform to the left's worldview is right-wing.

Regards

Richard
Removing the child benefit cap is not an encouragement for families to have more children. It's a means of reducing child poverty.

Removing the two-child limit would lift 300,000 children out of poverty and mean 800,000 children are in less deep poverty.

This is how it stands here

And I still can't bring myself to vote Labour, even tactically. They're so vile I just can't do it, I wont put my name to whatever comes down the line.
Sorry to hear that.
I guess its no use to point out the tories have perpetrated stuff just as bad as labour promise to enact, and by voting tactically you would be participating in removing them.
Fortunately in my area I'm not obliged to vote labour tactically, Plaid look like holding this seat, even with the boundary change.
Good luck in your constituency whatever your decision.

Thought this was good. The difference between electoral success and actual government, between being in office and being in power, is starting to be addressed by commentators.

‘Yet this impression [of strength] will almost certainly be deceptive. The support of four in 10 voters, from what may well be a low turnout, after a campaign that does not feel as if it has gripped the public, is not really an overwhelming national mandate. For a Starmer government, an awkward gap may quickly open up between the strength of its Commons position, raising expectations that Labour can pass almost any legislation, and the limited resources and political will that the government has to transform the country.’

"If you’re on the left, it’s hard not to see at least some potential in another Labour ascendancy."

I guess Mr. Jones and I must have different definitions of "right-wing". There's no doubt that The Economist is very much pro-free trade, free markets and deregulation, but I've found that the positions it takes are generally sensible ones, well, in my opinion anyway. (Of course, it doesn't always get it right - it argued against any sort of relief effort during the 1840s' Irish potato famine (which arguably led to the loss of Ireland to the UK), but then, so did the rest of the mainland press).
All key indicators of neoliberal economic ideology

Also, what are these sensible positions?

This is how it stands here

And I still can't bring myself to vote Labour, even tactically. They're so vile I just can't do it, I wont put my name to whatever comes down the line.

Be fair. Labour might be vile, but they are a blue fag paper less vile than the Tories. Apparently

All key indicators of neoliberal economic ideology

Also, what are these sensible positions?
Pro-Ukraine, pro-democracy and the rule of law, anti-Trump and autocratic demagogues (Putin, Orbán, Netanyahu, etc) in general. Also very good articles on science and technology.

I'm not an economist, so arguments as to how best to run an economy go over my head - I have the impression that, if you ask 20 economists how best to run an economy, you get 21 different answers.

advertisement

Back