advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

Good evening all,

Of course there is the, only slightly, more controversial view of putting the owner of the dog down..............

Regards

Richard

There does appear to be a big escalation in attacks; this could be a post Covid hangover but it seems a little more complex than that.

Certainly there was a large increase in the dog population during Covid/lockdown, but it does seem that the current big rise in attacks and deaths is largely due to the XL bully and related American bulldog breeds. Bully Watch has done lots of excellent research. https://bullywatch.link/

When you consider the percentage of attacks by the XL bully versus the percentage of dogs in the UK that are XL bullies (a fraction of 1%, according to press reports), we see what a danger this breed is.

"Dr Lawrence Newport, described the [XL bully] as “uniquely dangerous”. “This dog breed is responsible for over 70% of all deaths to dogs since 2021; it's responsible for nearly 50% of all attacks on both humans and other dogs." https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...erican-xl-bully-dogs-uk-despite-ban-new-rules

image-8.png

If you think your dog is the actual "softest thing on the planet" then may I suggest, sir, that it is you who doesn't have a clue.

Your dog is softer than a baby dormouse? Or a ball of cotton wool? :rolleyes:

If I am being generous, I will put it down to you misunderstanding what 'soft' means, what 'things' are, and what the 'planet' is.
Ooh get you.
You’re not being generous you’re being pedantic. He’s one of the most placid dogs you’ll come across, good enough for you?
Back on topic.
There’s a large amount of people and I’m not going to call them breeders, breeding these dogs for the wrong reasons and supplying them to the wrong people. Dealers supplying dealers and unsociable types

Last edited:
If you think your dog is the actual "softest thing on the planet" then may I suggest, sir, that it is you who doesn't have a clue.

Your dog is softer than a baby dormouse? Or a ball of cotton wool? :rolleyes:

If I am being generous, I will put it down to you misunderstanding what 'soft' means, what 'things' are, and what the 'planet' is.
This just reads as a fairly desperate attempt to score points. It’s beneath you.

I don’t want to minimise the concern over this breed, which seems justified. And there doesn’t seem to be any reasonable justification for breeding or owning dogs with natures as described, but this is one of those cyclical issues that comes round every few years. Often when governments and right wing media want a distraction or opportunity to do a bit of scapegoating. My problem is that, as we see on this thread, the scapegoating can extend, from some directions, into attributing a measure of blame to all dog owners. Who, I wonder, benefits from opening up another front in the culture war?

Yet another XL bully attack. In Wolverhampton.

"A man has told LBC he was an attacked by an XL Bully and its owner after he asked for the dog to be put on its lead in public. Ben Francis Cźyżyk says he came across a "very vicious dog" and its owner on Friday night in a park in Wolverhampton. Feeling threatened, Ben asked the owner to put his dog on its lead, which he says prompted the owner to tell his dog to "attack". "I had never met this person before and when I asked for him to leash his dog, him and his dog attacked me," ... "I woke up in hospital...[by] then I believe he had fled the scene where ambulance and police attended"."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/man-attacked-xl-bully-asking-owner-put-on-lead/

Ominous. The sort of selfishness and viciousness that I fear we will witness more and more from XL bully owners as the ban approaches.

This happened: Owners and their XL Bully dogs meet up at park to show 'lovely breed' amid large police presence.

Another mass walk of XL bullies was planned, but... Mass XL Bully walk in Birmingham 'not allowing dogs' after online backlash. They wanted as many children as possible to join a mass gathering of XL bullies!

Defiant, selfish and irresponsible.

Only a matter of time till one of these events goes horribly wrong.
They should encourage this & then arrive with some vans & take them all away, makes it very easy for the Police.

These people are utter morons.

<outraged>

The news have not yet reached the UK press apparently, but in Austria a woman has been killed by an American Staffordshire Terrier, while she was running in the woods. The dog owner was seriously wounded while trying to tear her dog away.

I know nothing about dogs, but to me it looks like the owner wasn't in control of her dog at all, a fact she must have been aware of. Can someone now explain me why on earth she didn't keep her dog on a leash, as this is compulsory anyway, especially for such an dangerous breed :mad: I hope justice will do its job, including a substantial compensatory sum to pay. It is the only way to make these people understand.

</outraged>

How many people die from bee/wasp/hornet stings every year?

Bees are necessary for the functioning of the natural world.

XL bulldogs are not.

If people kept wasps as pets and took them for walks (flies?) and innocent children and bystanders were horrifically attacked while the wasp owners were unable to control their savage pet wasp, you would have a reasonable point. Until that sequence of events happens, however,...

advertisement

Back