advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

I think there is a need for some sort of antisocial behaviour order for people who own these kind of dogs, whether banned breeds or not. The ownership, breeding and sale of status dogs with aggressive traits is an inherently antisocial act, and the law should recognise it as such.

I have the answer. Pass a law banning ‘status dogs’, nice & wide category, easy to spot the dogs in question. No grace period, instant big fine & dog gets culled. We get a dog tsar in charge.

Sure it will pee a few off, there will be some tears but we don’t need these kind of dogs in domestic circumstances.

There needs to be a list of breeds which are allowed and anything else is put down so no adventurous breeding to test the law. The owners should be liable for their dogs behavior such that any death caused by a dog is murder by the owner. Keep it simple and stop negotiating with the owners of these brutes.

I think there is a need for some sort of antisocial behaviour order for people who own these kind of dogs, whether banned breeds or not. The ownership, breeding and sale of status dogs with aggressive traits is an inherently antisocial act, and the law should recognise it as such.

Completely agree. These incidents are not the fault of the dog, it’s the arsehole owners of said animals. These dogs simply shouldn’t be circulating in public. If a dog injures or kills somebody, the law should treat the crime as if the owner has committed it.

I have the answer. Pass a law banning ‘status dogs’, nice & wide category, easy to spot the dogs in question. No grace period, instant big fine & dog gets culled. We get a dog tsar in charge.

Sure it will pee a few off, there will be some tears but we don’t need these kind of dogs in domestic circumstances.
How wide a category do you have in mind? Will it be size-related, or other characteristics? Might large assistance or guide dogs fall into the category, if it’s size-related? How easy will it be to spot the dogs in question? Will there be a right of appeal against misidentification? Who will be liable for any errors or miscarriages of justice? Who will carry out the sentence? Presumably vets? Will there be sanctions against vets who decline on grounds of conscience ?

How wide a category do you have in mind? Will it be size-related, or other characteristics? Might large assistance or guide dogs fall into the category, if it’s size-related? How easy will it be to spot the dogs in question? Will there be a right of appeal against misidentification? Who will be liable for any errors or miscarriages of justice? Who will carry out the sentence? Presumably vets? Will there be sanctions against vets who decline on grounds of conscience ?

During the foot and mouth epedemic vets had no problem supervising the of culling hundreds of thousands of animals with a similar level of sentience to a domestic dog.
The real issue here seems to be Anthromophism; domestic dogs become qualitatively different to other animals in owners' eyes. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but in public policy terms it's a huge barrier to otherwise appropriate responses.

During the foot and mouth epedemic vets had no problem supervising the of culling hundreds of thousands of animals with a similar level of sentience to a domestic dog.
The real issue here seems to be Anthromophism; domestic dogs become qualitatively different to other animals in owners' eyes. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but in public policy terms it's a huge barrier to otherwise appropriate responses.

no they are weaponised

Good idea! Can you note down the list of the “status dogs” or the “easy to spot the dogs in question” you have in mind? I’ll send it to my local MP.

If the dogs had rabies, they would be culled. Your argument doesn’t stack up because the animals that were culled in foot and mouth were largely destined for the table anyway. Dogs have a different role in society, any equivalence you are trying to draw is based on a flimsy argument.

Cows with foot and mouth were suffering from an epidemic disease; being the wrong type of dog is not. Try again, if you must.

Not happy with a cull - blaming the animal, etc. Neutering, muzzling in public, “proper regististration”, banning breeding, are all things I can support.

But do not murder the existing animals. They are what they are.

If the dogs had rabies, they would be culled. Your argument doesn’t stack up because the animals that were culled in foot and mouth were largely destined for the table anyway. Dogs have a different role in society, any equivalence you are trying to draw is based on a flimsy argument.

I think we are in agreement.

The practicability of organising and carrying out a cull, and involving vets in that, isn't a significant barrier to eliminating dangerous dogs.

However, the sentimental attachment of owners to their dogs makes any attempt at a premptive cull, as happened with foot and mouth, politically impossible.

I would baulk at the idea that "dogs" have a role in society but am happy to accept that dog ownership does.

Wouldn't a sensible first step be classifying dogs by weight rather than breed? Dogs over a certain weight attracting onerous licensing and control requirements.

I had that thought, and suggested it to a friend who has two Labradors. He thought the weight restriction would affect many very fine dogs, like Labs, Saint Bernards and so on.

It is a vexed question fore sure.

Perhaps dogs over a certain weight and perhaps height should perhaps be assessed by a veterinary dog expert for personality and potential risk. If a vet thinks a dog is a potential lethal risk, perhaps subject to a second veterinary opinion the dog should be destroyed. How you would enforce this sort of thing, I have no idea. The Police are barely keeping pace with what they have to do already, so I cannot see them devoting a lot effort to it, when this would involve diverting from other important work as well.

Best wishes from George

Dogs will be dogs...

Handsworth dog attack Sheffield : Man attacked by dog 'covered in blood' and 'looked like he'd been stabbed'
Residents say they had complained to police about the animal before
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crim...dent-man-attacked-bull-mastiff-street-4342962

A 'bull mastiff' dog apparently.

"It is thought the dog jumped over a wall before pouncing on the dog walker."

I think perhaps banning any dog with 'bull' in the name would be best.

It is a perennial polarising topic. I only do two forums, this one and the fell running FRA. Manic on there, regarding dogs cos you do get bitten fell running.
You often run through farms so surprising a Collie will get you bitten. Draws blood but once they realise what’s happened they immediately go into ‘who me? No no, not me’
I’d prefer it didn’t happen but it’s always funny. These powerful fighting dogs are different and need firearms style regulation.

I've been bitten a few times. Only once did I require stitches.

A few weeks ago I was bitten by a collie. Told the owner the dog needed controlled. He has paid no notice. A week later the dog was still off lead and it pinned me down and wouldn't let me past. Told the owner again but he pays no heed. I've reported it to the dog warden who have yet to get in touch. In the mean time I'm walking my dog in the mornings and carrying a hurley stick. I've got a feeling it will be me or the dog next time.

advertisement

Back