advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

Bees are necessary for the functioning of the natural world.

XL bulldogs are not.

If people kept wasps as pets and took them for walks (flies?) and innocent children and bystanders were horrifically attacked while the wasp owners were unable to control their savage pet wasp, you would have a reasonable point. Until that sequence of events happens, however,...
I couldn't get a muzzle to fit my pet wasp.
So I just swatted it.

Another

According to Met Police, "a 20 month old boy was attacked by an XL Bully dog in the street in Greenwich".

Does not sound from news reports as if it was the child of the owner.

XL bullies attacking babies in the streets!

Also last week "A man has spoke of the moment he had to hit a suspected XL Bully with a hammer to stop it savaging two people during a ferocious attack. A man and woman sustained serious injuries in the incident in Coventry on Friday, September 29." https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/xl-bully-attack-sees-hero-27818528

Also reports of XL bully attacks in Wales and Liverpool.

Bees are necessary for the functioning of the natural world.

XL bulldogs are not.

If people kept wasps as pets and took them for walks (flies?) and innocent children and bystanders were horrifically attacked while the wasp owners were unable to control their savage pet wasp, you would have a reasonable point. Until that sequence of events happens, however,...

The number of deaths is the issue. Maybe some context here; less hysteria.

Yet another death overnight https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-arrested-murder-after-xl-27838811

It sounds as if the dog was used as a weapon or at least that is what the police suspect.

"A 44-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the death of a 54-year-old man in Sunderland who was attacked by a dog which is believed to have been an XL Bully".

Reported elsewhere that the dog has been confirmed by police to be an XL bully.

The aftermath of a dog attack published by BBC today. You may have seen the awful video of it.

"Ms Reynolds, who "absolutely adored dogs", had been walking through a small park in Abbots Park, Lambeth, on her way to a driving lesson.
It "turned out to be the worst day of my entire life," she told the BBC.
Two dogs approached her after they were taken off their leads by their owner. Ms Reynolds asked the man to take the dogs away from her, but says they did not respond to his calls.
Ms Reynolds sustained scratches, a lip injury requiring plastic surgery and nerve damage, and spent a week in hospital.
Her right arm is no longer mobile, meaning she is not able to play rugby, or her violin.
Ms Reynolds says she cannot feel half of her hand - "and the other half is just in excruciating permanent pain. Because it is nerve damage it feels like my arm is on fire every single day".

A shoot to kill policy is required and, to avoid any confusion, I may not be referring solely to the dogs.......... remove pin and roll grenade.......

Regards

Richard

I think the whole dog thing has gone too far. Too many inconsiderate and arsehole owners. I love my dog (black lab) but fully understand that others don’t like dogs. Yet every pub, cafe and many shops and restaurants are full of dogs. For someone who doesn’t like them, or allergic to them, I can see how this can become a nightmare.

What to do? Start with dangerous breeds. There is simply no need for anyone to own one in a residential environment. This fixes the immediate issue. Then proper licensing, for any dog. Compulsory insurance, vaccinations and training. Random checks. Any dog owner must be able to demonstrate full control and recall of their dog. If not, license revoked. This may sound harsh, but no dogs (other than possibly miniatures) in flats / apartments. Bad behaviour often comes from lack of space and exercise. Someone keeping a collie or labrador etc in a flat is tantamount to cruelty IMHO.

The aftermath of a dog attack published by BBC today. You may have seen the awful video of it.

"Ms Reynolds, who "absolutely adored dogs", had been walking through a small park in Abbots Park, Lambeth, on her way to a driving lesson.
It "turned out to be the worst day of my entire life," she told the BBC.
Two dogs approached her after they were taken off their leads by their owner. Ms Reynolds asked the man to take the dogs away from her, but says they did not respond to his calls.
Ms Reynolds sustained scratches, a lip injury requiring plastic surgery and nerve damage, and spent a week in hospital.
Her right arm is no longer mobile, meaning she is not able to play rugby, or her violin.
Ms Reynolds says she cannot feel half of her hand - "and the other half is just in excruciating permanent pain. Because it is nerve damage it feels like my arm is on fire every single day".

According to the Daily Mail, "A resident who knew the victim said: 'He was walking his pup, which is a Patterdale terrier, when an XL Bully ran up and went for his pup."

An innocent passer-by walking his dog.

This is very much the pattern with XL bullies. Savage, uncontrollable dogs.

Those pesky German Shepherds....

Eleven biting incidents! That is outrageous that it took that many until they took action.

"The President and First Lady care deeply about the safety of those who work at the White House and those who protect them every day." :rolleyes:

Biden can't even control his dog. But let's give the old duffer the nuclear button...

Very worrying that a dog person with who allows his violent dog to bite multiple people is the Most Powerful Man in the World.

According to the Daily Mail, "A resident who knew the victim said: 'He was walking his pup, which is a Patterdale terrier, when an XL Bully ran up and went for his pup."

An innocent passer-by walking his dog.

This is very much the pattern with XL bullies. Savage, uncontrollable dogs.
Oh Dear,

My Patterdale would be fluff for an XL Bully.

IMG_2416 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Only 5.8 kg, and so gentle and genial that she has no clue how to look after herself. Fortunately rural Herefordshire is not a place to attract people who want a "trophy" dog. I think trophy dogs are a sign of deep insecurity on the part of their owners, and not dissimilar to middle aged men running round in high performance cars they should have grown out of thirty years before.

One shake of a 5.8 kgs Patterdale Terrier by a dog of ten or more times her weight would be quite instant in its inevitable result.

Why, oh why do people really want to have such a potentially dangerous animal as a "pet"?

Best wishes from George

Eleven biting incidents! That is outrageous that it took that many until they took action.

"The President and First Lady care deeply about the safety of those who work at the White House and those who protect them every day." :rolleyes:

Biden can't even control his dog. But let's give the old duffer the nuclear button...

Very worrying that a dog person with who allows his violent dog to bite multiple people is the Most Powerful Man in the World.
Are you worried that maybe Biden's dog will attempt to push the nuclear button and Biden won't be able to prevent it, or something? Or have I misunderstood? Perhaps you're a Republican and this is just another good excuse to have a go at 'Sleepy Joe'?

Are you worried that maybe Biden's dog will attempt to push the nuclear button and Biden won't be able to prevent it, or something? Or have I misunderstood? Perhaps you're a Republican and this is just another good excuse to have a go at 'Sleepy Joe'?

I am a DemoCAT.

We believe in rule by cat.

Only cats should be allowed to vote.

320px-Photograph_of_Socks_the_Cat_Standing_on_the_Press_Podium_in_the_Press_Room_at_the_White_House-_12-05-1993_%286461507867%29.jpg

The Greenwich attack on the 20-month-old confirmed to be totally random. No connection with the owner. Another innocent by-stander.

I think the ban will have to be toughened. Though will probably take more deaths till that happens.

My son nearly lost his leg: Distraught father tells how boy almost needed amputation after XL Bully 'came out of nowhere' to attack as his mother dived in to save toddler

"A STAFF member at an animal rehoming centre was taken to hospital following an incident with a dog."

No prizes for guessing the breed...

"The carer was attacked by a dog named Klay who was allegedly an XL Bully put down after the incident."

I think the whole dog thing has gone too far. Too many inconsiderate and arsehole owners. I love my dog (black lab) but fully understand that others don’t like dogs. Yet every pub, cafe and many shops and restaurants are full of dogs. For someone who doesn’t like them, or allergic to them, I can see how this can become a nightmare.
I prefer dogs to most people but I agree with you. I have a number of office cleaning contracts in Central London, about 30% of them have dogs attending on a regular basis. I often wonder how people who don’t like dogs feel about this. I haven’t seen them all but I know one is a Rottweiler cross, it’s a lovely dog but very intimidating for someone who doesn’t like dogs I imagine.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back