advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

Good idea! Can you note down the list of the “status dogs” or the “easy to spot the dogs in question” you have in mind? I’ll send it to my local MP.
We just need to do some profiling, if the owner has neck tattoos & body piercing then it’s probably a status dog. I’d also use it as probable cause to search them & their property. This is just one of those occasions where we can’t be soft on this. I’d happily take the Tsar job for around £100k a year. Give me a year & I’d sort it;)

Dogs will be dogs...

Handsworth dog attack Sheffield : Man attacked by dog 'covered in blood' and 'looked like he'd been stabbed'
Residents say they had complained to police about the animal before
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crim...dent-man-attacked-bull-mastiff-street-4342962

A 'bull mastiff' dog apparently.

"It is thought the dog jumped over a wall before pouncing on the dog walker."

I think perhaps banning any dog with 'bull' in the name would be best.
A bull mastiff is a status dog so…

"Lawyer and writer Ness Lyons said the XL Bully "jumped a fence" and attacked the man at her local park."

The fence jumping to attack a total stranger seems a frequent feature to these stories. It shows just how savage and uncontrollable the breed is.

Meanwhile, the owners are becoming angry and politicised. It appears (unsurprisingly) to be a nasty, right-wing politics.

SEC_172972814-5688.jpg

I think we will see an increase in deaths and attacks over the next few months.

Approach an XL bully (or their owner...) at your peril.

Another one this week reported today...

"Only eight minutes later, police were called to Laburnum Grove in Killamarsh after an XL Bully escaped from its home and attacked a dog walker and their pet, seriously injuring the person. South Yorkshire Police’s dog officer PC Paul Jameson said: “We’re continuing to see an increase in incidents involving dogs being out of control, or causing fear, and without action, and we fear it is only a matter of time until we experience another fatality within South Yorkshire"."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/xl-bully-escapes-garden-yorkshire-062527922.html

Shoot the dog & prosecute the owner. They are fully aware of the dog’s propensities. It’s vicarious assault imo. Treat the owner as if they made the attack themselves.

From my experience, I believe the breed chosen by a dogs owner gives an insight into the owners personality. I would suspect most owners of aggressive breeds are insecure types with chips on their shoulders.

A bit conflicted about this in some ways. Obviously aggressive dogs or people training dogs to be aggressive has no place in general society but some of the stereotyping on this thread is concerning. For example, just because someone has a big dog and may have tattoos or piercings does not automatically make them some sort of societal problem. That's the same type of flawed generalised argument people use when slagging off BMW drivers or cyclists... it's not right.

From my experience, I believe the breed chosen by a dogs owner gives an insight into the owners personality. I would suspect most owners of aggressive breeds are insecure types with chips on their shoulders.

Making sweeping generalisations doesn't really help this issue.

Shoot the dog & prosecute the owner. They are fully aware of the dog’s propensities. It’s vicarious assault imo. Treat the owner as if they made the attack themselves.

I think in a lot of cases this may be true, dogs just learn and if the owner/trainer is an angry/aggressive twat, then the dog will be as well.

In the 80's a neighbour in our road used to take on rejected or retired police dogs, they were huge Alsatians and in a few cases they couldn't retrain them and they had to be killed but far more became family pets.

Another generalisation, we have a Bulldog. Softest thing on the planet, scared of his own shadow.
Your username is apt.

If you think your dog is the actual "softest thing on the planet" then may I suggest, sir, that it is you who doesn't have a clue.

Your dog is softer than a baby dormouse? Or a ball of cotton wool? :rolleyes:

If I am being generous, I will put it down to you misunderstanding what 'soft' means, what 'things' are, and what the 'planet' is.

A bit conflicted about this in some ways. Obviously aggressive dogs or people training dogs to be aggressive has no place in general society but some of the stereotyping on this thread is concerning. For example, just because someone has a big dog and may have tattoos or piercings does not automatically make them some sort of societal problem. That's the same type of flawed generalised argument people use when slagging off BMW drivers or cyclists... it's not right.
Fair point.

However, I suppose you can’t have it all ways, if we want to blame the owner rather than the dog then some assumptions & profiling will occur. Why would anyone have such a dog within the family & around children?

Why would anyone buy such a dog?

Sometimes we have to be a bit judgemental, sorry.

If you think your dog is the actual "softest thing on the planet" then may I suggest, sir, that it is you who doesn't have a clue.

Your dog is softer than a baby dormouse? Or a ball of cotton wool? :rolleyes:

If I am being generous, I will put it down to you misunderstanding what 'soft' means, what 'things' are, and what the 'planet' is.

That's fairly stupid and ignorant.

Fair point.

However, I suppose you can’t have it all ways, if we want to blame the owner rather than the dog then some assumptions & profiling will occur. Why would anyone have such a dog within the family & around children?

Why would anyone buy such a dog?

Sometimes we have to be a bit judgemental, sorry.

I think it's more about understanding the psychology, dogs can be very protective of children but it depends when they are introduced to the family.

As with all of us they get jealous of siblings etc, the problem is with the ignorance of owners not understanding how dogs fit within a family environment.

I think it's more about understanding the psychology, dogs can be very protective of children but it depends when they are introduced to the family.

As with all of us they get jealous of siblings etc, the problem is with the ignorance of owners not understanding how dogs fit within a family environment.
Again fair point.

Personally I would never have a big powerful dog anywhere near a small child.

Either way it’s irresponsible owners buying inappropriate dogs or appropriate ones depending upon how you see it.

There does appear to be a big escalation in attacks; this could be a post Covid hangover but it seems a little more complex than that.

& the police are vastly under resourced in terms of enforcement capacity.

advertisement

Back