advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

One of my daughter's is a bit scared of XL Bullies and dreamt one had hold of her foot and didn't let go. I'm importing a container ship full of African Wild Dogs, Wolves and the odd Hyena. I'm taking back control. Of Greenwich Park.

How Chinese, and absurd. Happy with one cat per street though.
My next door neighbour has 3 dogs, far too many. I can’t go in the back gate before the big thick German shepherd starts barking. I’d happily put the lot down.

That’s more a case for no ill-mannered German shepherds.

Anyway get an XL Bully - problem solved.

It's nothing new, just being reported far more than it used to be.

My first dog attack was back in the mid 90's while walking my dog. A Pitbull from the local travellers site decided he wanted to eat my dog for breakfast, thankfully i managed to hold my beloved pet above my head while the Pitbull stood on my chest & gnashed at my face. My second was in the early 2000's while again, walking my dog, this time a local beast of some description decided to ravage my pet, my beloved Toby, a small yorkie cross, thankfully he was too stealthy & ran off while i was holding on to the dogs bollocks like my life depended on it. Third time, 2008, i was on a bus heading to Wolverhampton when the bus stopped at the lights outside a park& i noticed another beast of some description ravaging a woman's beloved pet so i stopped the bus, ran over & kicked the dog so hard in the balls they probably came out of it's mouth, it loosened the grip & ripped my hand to pieces in the process, at which point the woman took me back to her home & got her husband to take me back home. The woman's dog survived, just.

Instances such as this have been commonplace for decades. Of course very little is ever done to combat illegal ownership of dangerous dogs, just the usual headline to appease the public into believing it's safe.

In the end it comes down to the owner of anything that has the potential to cause lethal or sometimes fatal consequences, to take responsibility.

My first dog attack was back in the mid 90's while walking my dog. A Pitbull from the local travellers site decided he wanted to eat my dog for breakfast, thankfully i managed to hold my beloved pet above my head while the Pitbull stood on my chest & gnashed at my face. My second was in the early 2000's while again, walking my dog, this time a local beast of some description decided to ravage my pet, my beloved Toby, a small yorkie cross, thankfully he was too stealthy & ran off while i was holding on to the dogs bollocks like my life depended on it. Third time, 2008, i was on a bus heading to Wolverhampton when the bus stopped at the lights outside a park& i noticed another beast of some description ravaging a woman's beloved pet so i stopped the bus, ran over & kicked the dog so hard in the balls they probably came out of it's mouth, it loosened the grip & ripped my hand to pieces in the process, at which point the woman took me back to her home & got her husband to take me back home. The woman's dog survived, just.

Instances such as this have been commonplace for decades. Of course very little is ever done to combat illegal ownership of dangerous dogs, just the usual headline to appease the public into believing it's safe.

In the end it comes down to the owner of anything that has the potential to cause lethal or sometimes fatal consequences, to take responsibility.
As one who has always been nervous of snappy, aggressive dogs (I think I was bitten as a child but no potential witnesses alive) I admire your bravery. I couldn't even contemplate a kick in the balls as it would surely result in me falling over and breaking several limbs!

As one who has always been nervous of snappy, aggressive dogs (I think I was bitten as a child but no potential witnesses alive) I admire your bravery. I couldn't even contemplate a kick in the balls as it would surely result in me falling over and breaking several limbs!
It was a good few years ago, i would probably drop over myself nowadays :)

I had to do similar to rescue a mate's Labrador a year or two ago. She is very timid and a local dog attacked her. Both my pal and I gave it a good kicking but it still wouldn't release, in the end it did when I gave its neck a squeeze and it decided that continued breathing was more important than taking my pal's dog's throat out. We released it, it bit my friend and went on to attack the dog again. I cornered it and administered another solid kicking until it decided that being kicked repeatedly wasn't much fun and backed off in time for the owner to show up. He swore blind that it had never done anything of the sort before. Of course it hadn't.

I am informed that one quite reliable technique for disrupting a dog attack is to poke a stick up the attacking dog's bum. Fortunately I haven't had to test this advice, but I can imagine it might just distract the animal long enough to break its hold.

I thought kicking a dog was normally ineffective ? .
Yes, as I discovered it probably is. However in the heat of the moment it's a fairly instinctive attack method and it has the benefit of keeping the vulnerable bits of you away from its teeth. Going off in search of a stick isn't much of an option, and if you want to bend over a snarling dog or put your hands near its mouth, be my guest. I'll ring the ambulance for you.
A hand or knee pressing its neck certainly works, because the thing is working hard and needs air and blood supply to function. Reduce this and it very soon forgets about the attack and goes into escape-survival mode.

Yes, as I discovered it probably is. However in the heat of the moment it's a fairly instinctive attack method and it has the benefit of keeping the vulnerable bits of you away from its teeth. Going off in search of a stick isn't much of an option, and if you want to bend over a snarling dog or put your hands near its mouth, be my guest. I'll ring the ambulance for you.
A hand or knee pressing its neck certainly works, because the thing is working hard and needs air and blood supply to function. Reduce this and it very soon forgets about the attack and goes into escape-survival mode.
have you attempted this

A braver man than me ! Good work
Not much choice, it had its jaws clamped around my mate's dog's throat and was all set to kill her. I was fortunate, it had its jaws occupied and was on the deck so I just leaned on its neck more in hope than expectation, and sure enough it opened its mouth because it was losing air and circulaion. Then as soon as the dog had run away I stood up and got the f** out of the way before it had chance to work out what was happening and retaliate. My mate wasn't so quick to get out of the way once it released his dog, so he was on the receiving end of the dog looking round for something to bite.

Not much choice, it had its jaws clamped around my mate's dog's throat and was all set to kill her. I was fortunate, it had its jaws occupied and was on the deck so I just leaned on its neck more in hope than expectation, and sure enough it opened its mouth because it was losing air and circulaion. Then as soon as the dog had run away I stood up and got the f** out of the way before it had chance to work out what was happening and retaliate. My mate wasn't so quick to get out of the way once it released his dog, so he was on the receiving end of the dog looking round for something to bite.

When they feel pain they attack anything, my very loyal GSD got tangled in an electric fence many years ago and i just had to detangle him while he bit anything near his mouth, including my arm. It's similar to the involuntary response we have to sudden sharp pain.

advertisement

Back