advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the reason for annual flu shots was down to mutations, not waning immunity though? I know we also face mutations in Covid so it may be moot, but the initial studies on natural post-infection immunity seemed to suggest it was typically >8 months, and it’s reasonable to assume post vaccination immunity will be longer lasting than that.

About 10% loss per month for the flu vaccine I think I read.

"And protection wanes quickly: If you live in a temperate region of the world and receive the shot in the early fall, immunity can disappear before the end of that winter."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/why-flu-vaccines-don-t-protect-people-long

I thought the reason for annual flu shots was down to mutations, not waning immunity though?

Sort of. The annual shots are to address the fact that different (known) strains of 'flu will be more prevalent each season. AIUI, the vacccine is actually three vaccines; the three that are assessed to be the most widespread.

Here's more on the "32 patients" story

"As more data comes in, the number of people known to be hospitalised after vaccination will go up. “This is really early data, it’s very small numbers, and we’re expecting an update on this imminently,” he added. Most of the vaccinated people in the study had received the Pfizer vaccine, the first to be given to elderly people and the most vulnerable.

As more people are vaccinated and restrictions lift, the percentage of people hospitalised despite having the jab is expected to rise, simply because the vaccination won’t protect everyone, and elderly people are most likely to produce a weak immune response to the shot.

Whatever figure the scientists settle on, the data is still highly encouraging."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ing-but-the-numbers-are-still-hugely-positive

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/92204

More proof of the high effectiveness of the mRNA vaccines.

"Real-world risks of developing COVID-19 infection and illness after full vaccination are coming into focus as more reports come in with hard numbers.

Just on Wednesday, three such publications appeared:

• In the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, health officials described 22 "breakthrough" infections diagnosed among nearly 15,000 Chicago-area nursing home residents and staff two weeks or more after they received a second mRNA COVID vaccine dose
  • And among 417 employees and students at Rockefeller University in New York City receiving two mRNA vaccine doses, researchers identified two breakthrough infections -- notable mainly for the particular virus strains involved, as reported in the New England Journal of Medicine"
I'm cautiously optimistic that protection will last a full year since there is strong evidence of strong immunity after 6 months.

I think the much larger problem is how to vaccinate the world to reduce the suffering, get the world economy back to normal, and reduce the creation of variants.

If you and everyone else you're with has been vaccinated, you can ditch all the social distancing and masks and stuff when you meet another household.

And if you're not an oldie, as long as no-one's vulnerable, there's no need for everyone to be vaccinated.

Let's party now!

ECDC guidance for adjusting non-pharmaceutical interventions based on vaccination status (europa.eu)

Oh dear; if that actually happens, they will be "Super Spreaders" on Public Transport and in other places staffed by people who haven't yet been vaccinated.

Priceless.

I appreciate your post may have been tongue in cheek... ;)

Oh dear; if that actually happens, they will be "Super Spreaders" on Public Transport and in other places staffed by people who haven't yet been vaccinated.

It says it doesn't apply in public spaces and in large gatherings, irrespective of the vaccination status of the individuals. So parties on the 93 from Waterloo to Clapham Junction are not allowed.

Anyway, the main reason this is interesting is that it suggests there is light at the end of the tunnel, and what the light looks like -- what a relaxation of these distancing measures will look like.

It says it doesn't apply in public spaces and in large gatherings, irrespective of the vaccination status of the individuals. So parties on the 93 from Waterloo to Clapham Junction are not allowed.

Anyway, the main reason this is interesting is that it suggests there is light at the end of the tunnel, and what the light looks like -- what a relaxation of these distancing measures will look like.

I'm feeling positive for the future; I'm still taking no risks with sanitisation; Distancing etc. All proportionate of course.

I've noticed some slackening off though; masks not worn properly and standing close to my cab and being surprised when I ask (politely) for them to give me space...

Hard reading the scale of the tragedy in India right now.

Almost 1.6 million cases have been registered in a week, bringing total cases to more than 15 million. In the space of just 12 days, the Covid positivity rate doubled to 17%, while in Delhi it hit 30%. Hospitals across the country have filled to capacity but this time it is predominately the young taking up the beds; in Delhi, 65% of cases are under 40 years old.

Dr Amit Thadhani, director of Niramaya hospital in Mumbai, which is only treating Covid patients, said he had given warnings about a virulent second wave back in February but they had gone ignored ... Thadhani said this time round the virus was “much more aggressive and much more infectious” and was now predominately affecting young people. “Now it is people in their 20s and 30s who are coming in with very severe symptoms and there is a lot of mortality among young people,” he said.

I'm afraid this paragraph stuck out:

While the unprecedented spread of the virus has been partly blamed on a more contagious variant that has emerged in India, Modi’s government has also been accused of failures of political leadership from the top, with lax attitudes emulated by state and local leaders from all parties and even health officials across the country, which led many to falsely believe in recent months that India had defeated Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/21/system-has-collapsed-india-descent-into-covid-hell

The EU cannot agree whether to take legal action against AZ, or whether they do or don't want to use AZ. Where is the leadership to sort out the crisis?

Complete jokers. Hopefully the EU won’t want any further supply from AZ, more for the rest of the world. AZ SP up nicely this week on the news.

Hard reading the scale of the tragedy in India right now.

Almost 1.6 million cases have been registered in a week, bringing total cases to more than 15 million. In the space of just 12 days, the Covid positivity rate doubled to 17%, while in Delhi it hit 30%. Hospitals across the country have filled to capacity but this time it is predominately the young taking up the beds; in Delhi, 65% of cases are under 40 years old.

Dr Amit Thadhani, director of Niramaya hospital in Mumbai, which is only treating Covid patients, said he had given warnings about a virulent second wave back in February but they had gone ignored ... Thadhani said this time round the virus was “much more aggressive and much more infectious” and was now predominately affecting young people. “Now it is people in their 20s and 30s who are coming in with very severe symptoms and there is a lot of mortality among young people,” he said.

I'm afraid this paragraph stuck out:

While the unprecedented spread of the virus has been partly blamed on a more contagious variant that has emerged in India, Modi’s government has also been accused of failures of political leadership from the top, with lax attitudes emulated by state and local leaders from all parties and even health officials across the country, which led many to falsely believe in recent months that India had defeated Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/21/system-has-collapsed-india-descent-into-covid-hell

Awful scenes. I don’t think this is sinking in with people. A bit like Wuhan seemed so far away last January. There are over 100 recorded cases in the UK of the India variant. That means it’s likely to be everywhere.

New study on vaccine efficacy

"The researchers analysed Covid test results from more than 350,000 people in the UK between December and April. They found that 21 days after a first jab – the time it takes the immune system to mount a decent response – new Covid infections dropped by 65%."

"The vaccines were more effective against symptomatic than asymptomatic infections, reducing rates by 72% and 57% respectively, compared with those seen in the unvaccinated population."

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-jab-reduces-covid-infection-rate-by-65-study

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back