advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Government is still refusing to publish data on deaths following vaccination - the obvious question is why.

Has any country in the world reported this information? When you say that the government is refusing to report it, has anyone asked for it?

Has any country in the world reported this information? When you say that the government is refusing to report it, has anyone asked for it?

Repeated yesterday. They've been asked explicitly.

I linked to a Pfizer study up thread - we don't know so much about AZ

I have been really surprised that India has not had a huge surge in COVID earlier on in the pandemic, given the population density, but without a ruthlessly efficient central government to enforce track, trace and quarantine, like China has done.

On the one hand I'm tremendously happy to be getting my first shot on Friday, and on the other guilty as hell that so many billions, whose lives are so much more precarious than mine, will have to endure months or years of hell before their turn comes.

I too am surprised they haven’t seen these spikes already. I sense the new strain is more problematic. I’ve not been jabbed yet but when I hear of people refusing vaccines (for anything other than a medical reason), it does make me really quite annoyed. Many folk have no idea of their level of good fortune to be even offered a jab. Of course, India could roll out the vaccine faster if they wanted to. I’ve never been anywhere with such enormous wealth division, they just don’t redistribute.

I don't believe most of the stats from most of the countries.
In some cases they simply haven't tested enough to know the real figures such as Mexico, India, Indonesia and Africa etc
In other cases they report lower stats for a variety of reasons: Brazil, Russia, Iran etc
Wouldn't be surprised if the real figures are double or triple those reported.

Of course, India could roll out the vaccine faster if they wanted to. I’ve never been anywhere with such enormous wealth division, they just don’t redistribute.

that reminds me of the Tory MP who said that public transport is a great idea- for other people.

This is a very important statistic because it will be the first warning of immunity beginning to wane, not just a measure of the fraction who remain unprotected. At the moment nobody knows how long that will be, 6 months, 8 a bit longer...
Or a lot longer. As you say, we don’t know.

Our tip has been exactly as normal all the way through. It closed originally but then it opened back up and went back to how it was.

Ours is as it was, except there is traffic control limiting the number of cars on site. It is arranged in reverse-into bays and they have widened the bays by taking out every other one. If the queue is OK (sometimes 5 mins, sometimes 50mins) then it all works very well indeed. No mask requirements -it is up to you to avoid others if you have to wander up to the appliances skip or down to the wood skip.

Or a lot longer. As you say, we don’t know.

That would be extremely fortuitous. It remains unknown, so much so that it's not yet in the published models - that, again, is why we need the data so that we're not just hoping for the best.

This is a very important statistic because it will be the first warning of immunity beginning to wane, not just a measure of the fraction who remain unprotected. At the moment nobody knows how long that will be, 6 months, 8 a bit longer...

After 21 June there should be no limits on social contact, and all adults should be vaccinated at the end of July. Why won't admissions be a good measure of whether immunity is waning in late summer?

After 21 June there should be no limits on social contact. After mid July say, why won't admissions be a good measure of whether immunity is waning?

In the early days it will be very difficult / impossible to unravel that from infections due to lack of vaccine immunity i.e. everyone is expecting a surge in cases anyway, before waning of immunity is accounted for. People think that immunity is likely to last much like the flu vaccines so by July those who had double doses around Christmas could start to feature again.

In the early days it will be very difficult / impossible to unravel that from infections due to lack of vaccine immunity i.e. everyone is expecting a surge in cases anyway, before waning of immunity is accounted for. People think that immunity is likely to last much like the flu vaccines so by July those who had double doses around Christmas could start to feature again.

At least all this side of it sounds manageable, I mean, you can plan for a likely duration of vaccine efficacy and organise programmes of booster shots accordingly, I assume that the drug companies will come up with the goods.

At least all this side of it sounds manageable, I mean, you can plan for a likely duration of vaccine efficacy and organise programmes of booster shots accordingly, I assume that the drug companies will come up with the goods.

That all depends on variants. I'm guessing that Novavax is planned for boosters from August/September currently.

I thought the reason for annual flu shots was down to mutations, not waning immunity though? I know we also face mutations in Covid so it may be moot, but the initial studies on natural post-infection immunity seemed to suggest it was typically >8 months, and it’s reasonable to assume post vaccination immunity will be longer lasting than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back