advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 061 cases, 32 deaths, 98 and 126 admissions (20th & 21st) - 122 is the average over the past 7 days.

Malaysia has just increased quarantine for people coming in from the UK back to 14 days from 10, due to the risk of nasty mutations.
Forget overseas holidays this year.

Malaysia has just increased quarantine for people coming in from the UK back to 14 days from 10, due to the risk of nasty mutations.
Forget overseas holidays this year.

I'm still baffled why people from the UK would risk venturing to countries with barely a handle on the thing for the sake of a couple of weeks in the sun.

Reactions: PsB
I'm still baffled why people from the UK would risk venturing to countries with barely a handle on the thing for the sake of a couple of weeks in the sun.

Because a large number of people think it is a hoax, or not serious for them, or the vaccine protects 100%, or...

I am sure people on here went abroad last year but it seems far more frowned upon currently. The earliest I would consider foreign travel is October but it looks like I will struggle to get anywhere away from home this year.

Just because the UK may have a lid on things by summertime, doesn’t mean it’d be appropriate or sensible to travel overseas, either to places which aren’t as far along, or mingling with people from such countries. We’ve no intention of leaving the UK until next year, at the earliest.

Just because the UK may have a lid on things by summertime, doesn’t mean it’d be appropriate or sensible to travel overseas,

Though the new strain in India is targeting young people as much as the elderly, we already have 100 cases (that we know of).
As the young are less vaccinated and we don't know if the vaccine is effective against this new variant with a double mutation, we could end up back to square one.

Because a large number of people think it is a hoax, or not serious for them, or the vaccine protects 100%, or...

First time on public transport for a long while yesterday - ten stops on the London Overground early afternoon. Was surprised how many people seem to have given up wearing a face covering. Lots of groups of people in their late teens / early twenties dressed up, drinking, making the most of the sunny weather but not a mask between them.

I have a little sympathy - cases are right down, all the 'oldies' have had the jab so if you're nineteen this really must all feel like Someone Else's Problem. But I could see a number of older passengers looked very nervous - I couldn't wait to get off the train!

First time on public transport for a long while yesterday - ten stops on the London Overground early afternoon. Was surprised how many people seem to have given up wearing a face covering. Lots of groups of people in their late teens / early twenties dressed up, drinking, making the most of the sunny weather but not a mask between them.

I have a little sympathy - cases are right down, all the 'oldies' have had the jab so if you're nineteen this really must all feel like Someone Else's Problem. But I could see a number of older passengers looked very nervous - I couldn't wait to get off the train!

10% or so of the deaths were younger folk - and not many of them have been vaccinated. Neither have the 50-60s had second doses nor many of the at risk. One dose of the vaccine still leaves a 1/3 chance of infection. You wouldn't get me on a bus/train for love nor money...

@gavreid I'm not condoning it - just an observation.

I'm finding it harder to empathise with the estimated 10,000(!) absolute bells who rolled up for an anti-covid protest in London yesterday.

Two police officers hospitalised apparently.

m9TxQkA.png

They're selfish and/or thick! That's all there is to it.

@gavreid I'm not condoning it - just an observation.

I'm finding it harder to empathise with the estimated 10,000(!) absolute bells who rolled up for an anti-covid protest in London yesterday.

Two police officers hospitalised apparently.

m9TxQkA.png
We know to take reports of police injuries with a pinch of salt, though.

Obviously these people are twats, but lockdown has been a big change, to say the least, and it has been handled in an incredibly unjust way. If you think about it the pushback from ordinary people (rather than billionaires and those in the government and press who serve them) has been pretty minimal. I think Whitty et al expected pitchforks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back