advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

I had a Luxman once 509x or something like that. Champagne coloured with meters etc, most bling. Pretty gutless though for its 120w rating. Very bright and just hated the sound.

Never heard an Accuphase, but would like to. If they sound how they look I think I would like them.

Full system was ND555 with dual 555PS, Statement S1 Pre, Snaxo 3 way xover powered by SCDR, 3x 500DR and Kudos Titan 808.

Sounds like something that Signals, near Ipswich, put on a couple or so years back which My friends went to. I missed it, and the next show didn't have the Naim line-up

Sounds like something that Signals, near Ipswich, put on a couple or so years back which My friends went to. I missed it, and the next show didn't have the Naim line-up
Couple of weeks ago at Signals. The Naim Snaxo for Kudos Titans has only just been developed, and Kudos are doing the rounds with active roadshow, and Signals have their own S1 pre with Statement mono's along with 3 Nap 500s.

The best amplifiers are those which do not interfere with the sound but just convey it very well or just naturally.

The Howes certainly does that.
I toyed with saying it’s “a straight wire with gain” but this gain is far more appealing than most.

Purely subjectively, the best amplifier I’ve ever heard is the one I’m listening to right now - when you’ve had a good few glasses of Glenfarclas and listening to your favourite records your own setup doesn’t half sound great...It’s a Croft 25r with Sylvania 12bh7a into Heed monos btw but that’s incidental, it’s just great sometimes to appreciate what you have.

I’m sure when the dram has worn off I’ll be coveting a Pass or Accuphase.

The best amp i ever heard was an Electrocompanient integrated into Spendor BC1s playing acoustic Neil Young. A warm but slightly powerful sound that really pulled you in.

Yes, it's interesting to see that. I have an Electrocompaniet ECI-2 and Spendor SP1s -- both different and both similar to your setup. And the amp sounds exceptional with those speakers, better than others I've tried the amp with. A lucky coincidence for me.

It's strange isn't it, how some combinations of amp and speaker work and some don't.

It's strange isn't it, how some combinations of amp and speaker work and some don't.

I would suggest not strange at all - amp/speaker & cartridge/phono stage (or head amp/SUT) combinations should be considered as a single unit- they need synergy to work properly together IMHO.

The best amplifiers are those which do not interfere with the sound but just convey it very well or just naturally.
should be, but some systems and rooms need a tweak that a change of amp type can bring. Change of class, change of power source, change of it's ability to deal with crazy speaker loads.

advertisement

Back