advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

Coherent Systems - wip amp (I think class D of all things). Ultra clean and transparent, yet as warm as the music played through them.

It was paired with Tony’s wip preamp, which has a noise floor of -140db. Again, completely transparent without being forensic.

Very impressive, but lottery win territory for me, sadly.

My Longdog P6 amps are superb, being realistic, I don’t see a need to ever change them. To the point I’ve got the schematics and will be buying replacement transistors for them also.

The best I've heard was an Audio Research pre & power into Marlin Logan speakers - although it's difficult to be sure whether it was the amps or speakers that impressed me most.

2nd best was a Krell set-up - and it was good enough that years later I finally treated myself to one of their integrated amps and that does indeed sound as good as I'd remembered. In fact if anything it sounds better in my system than the one I demoed did, which is nice.

I've heard lots of speakers but can't say I have ever heard an amp unless it has a mechanical hum:)

On the other hand I have listened to some speakers with several different amps and my present favourite (hesitate to say 'best') is an Aragon 4004 driving my Gale 401s.

I guess it may be similar to the Krells mentioned above and if / when it final dies, it is getting long in the tooth, a Krell may very well replace it.

At the other end of the scale battery powered tripaths (Red Wine) into single driver speakers found favour here for some years.

Jim

Probably the Moon 600i I’ve got now. Also liked the McIntosh 6900 integrated I had some years back. Just a pity about the faults that occurred on that amp & the rigmarole involved in getting them fixed because I loved the sound.

Pass Labs XA 100.6 monoblocks driving a pair of Maggies 3.7 were some of the best I ever heard.

For my needs and budget I really love the GamuT Di 150LE integrated.

Nagra PL-P valve preamp + Nagra MSA MOSFET power amp. Nagra VPA valve monos were good too.

That should be a very good combination.
I know that that pre-amp and a Nagra Classic power amp really make a great combination.
Absolutely love it driving a pair of Avalon Ideas.

Last edited:
Modwright Pre and big Plinius Class A Power Amp belonging to Ex Wam Moderator Duvet. Rest of his gear was none too shabby either.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back