advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

Best sound I ever heard at a hifi show was an Accustic Arts Power 1 amp playing a pair of Gradient Helsinki speakers.
My own favorite amp is a LFD NSCE 3 driving my Shahinian Compasses.

As I've never had any truly good rooms myself I've tended to go for smaller systems in nearfield and the Leben CS300 is probably the most musically satisfying amp I've owned

I'd agree with this - although I've only had mine for a few months. I'm not yet 100% sure the Super 8s are the right match but like the combo of the Leben and Devore sound - just need a little more depth/bass weight to round out the amazing musicality of the amp.

Kevin

Well for me its mostly been naim amps, well for the last 25 years at least.
Had quite a few from the 90, 3 x olive 250s, then had avondale boards in 2 of my 250's, but now have the mighty naim 500dr.
Must say the 500 series works very well together and the sound that you get from a 552 pre amp and 500 power amp is just fantastic. This set up easily beats anything i have had before by a massive amount

and the sound that you get from a 552 pre amp and 500 power amp is just fantastic. This set up easily beats anything i have had before by a massive amount

Yes, it would if you've followed the Naim trail for a generation (as I did). Although I didn't aspire to the 500, unlike my friend, my 552, when replaced by my E.A.R. pre-amp.,was an instant forgotten memory. I also 'lost' a fair number of expensive boxes and leads into the bargain.

Luxman 590ax. Pure class A. Beguiling liquid musicality.
Apparently the 590axII is even better! Can only imagine, roll on lotto win...
Do you own the 590AX and if yes, did you compare it to other amps? The reason for the question is I may be considering the 590AXII.

Yes, it would if you've followed the Naim trail for a generation (as I did). Although I didn't aspire to the 500, unlike my friend, my 552, when replaced by my E.A.R. pre-amp.,was an instant forgotten memory. I also 'lost' a fair number of expensive boxes and leads into the bargain.

I have tried different and just recently tried a vitus sia025 mk2, but it didnt do it for me in the end, and so i have stayed with the old faithful

"Best" is difficult. I think the most knocked-out I've ever been was hearing a pair of Levinson 20.6 monoblocks. They were astonishing.

I also remember the first time I heard a NAP-500 (I think the first one in the US!). It was great, but it was also an obvious evolutionary move from 6x135s - you can't miss the family resemblance (unless you haven't listened to anything beyond Naim).

50016803883_60a9518f52_z.jpg

A pair of glowing Pass Labs XA100.5 doing their thing this evening with Miles Davis. 100W of pure Class A, by some distance the best power amplifiers I have listened to for any extended period. The matching XP20 pre-amp combines to make the best amplification setup I've heard properly.

Friend of mine had a Copeland, pre power with valves thingy, lovely chocalatty sound, till his dog peed on it and it was never the same after that.

50016803883_60a9518f52_z.jpg

A pair of glowing Pass Labs XA100.5 doing their thing this evening with Miles Davis. 100W of pure Class A, by some distance the best power amplifiers I have listened to for any extended period. The matching XP20 pre-amp combines to make the best amplification setup I've heard properly.

I assume the radiator is turned off!

advertisement

Back