advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

Probably a Soulution pre-power combo at Walrus, into some Graham ls5/9 speakers.
Listened to the Soulution 5 series pre/power recently and agree they are incredibly special. All the key desirable HiFi qualities in spades, but more importantly, rivetingly musical and involving too. If my lottery numbers ever come up my Naim 552/500 could be in trouble.. :rolleyes:

Fron the Linn stable ,the venerable Klout was one fine amplifier...had one out on loan once and it was a heavy,powerful beastie.
been running an Akurate Chakra C4200/Dynamik for a while now,allowing bi wire/amp my Totems.

Audio Research D150 with classical music such as Carmina Burana is difficult to beat according to me.......

Gervais

Funny you should say. I have fond memories of a long ago D-150 playing Carmina Burana through a pair of Magnepan Tympanis. I forget the preamp but it would also have been Audio Research. Absolutely stunning.

Audio Research D90b - 5881 tubes -had all electrolytics replaced because several were leaking (was about 30 years old when I bought it) - nice wide thick traces -you could get at everything without much effort or drama. Great bass - sings. Sold it to a buddy

E.A.R. 509 mono's fronted by 912 pre. into Quad 2905 ESLs. Mind you, this was after Naim 552/135s into gigantic ProAcs so maybe I'm still en route. Practicality (reasonably local and cost-effective servicing plus on-board ph/stages) is important but wouldn't mind trying other valved amps with my ESLs. Possibly even Vitus as a return to s/s 'fit 'n' forget', but I do wonder how Vitus treats ESLs

advertisement

Back