advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

E.A.R. 509 mono's fronted by 912 pre. into Quad 2905 ESLs. Mind you, this was after Naim 552/135s into gigantic ProAcs so maybe I'm still en route. Practicality (reasonably local and cost-effective servicing plus on-board ph/stages) is important but wouldn't mind trying other valved amps with my ESLs. Possibly even Vitus as a return to s/s 'fit 'n' forget', but I do wonder how Vitus treats ESLs
The Vitus integrated I listened to a couple of months ago was definitely the sort of amp I could happily live with for a decade or more.

The best amp I never heard was a Pass Labs x250 pushing ATC SCM 20s hard. Percussion was so fast, never heard anything like it, much more realistic than active ATCs heard in the same room.

The best amp i ever heard was an Electrocompanient integrated into Spendor BC1s playing acoustic Neil Young. A warm but slightly powerful sound that really pulled you in.

Couldn't live with either though as neither gave a balanced sound that would work across a variety of genres.

Big VTL and CJ valve monos are the best I have heard.
On a more social scale, the Linx Stratos pre-power amps are just superb. I have had the pre-amp "stroked" by ex-Linx designer and will send the monos off to him as well soon even though they were recently serviced by John Caswell. I think they will then give my DNA 2.0 a serious run for their money as well they should given what they cost new back 30 years ago.

I heard some 509 on a pair of snell from 1982, that was awsome. But I met the Guy with the 509 a year later, and the amps went into flames. So not for me.

Perreaux prisma 750 mono with Perreaux pre. Really nice sounding with huge soundstage.

The VERY Best I have heard is from a German company. I went to the owner of the Company Thomas Höhne and heard THE SOVERIGN monoblocks on some of his own speaker creations. I have never heard any Thing like those amps and Soverign Director pre. Truely amazing stuff, but not cheap.

I ended buying the Soverign Director pre and a Soverign Glory stereo amp, which is some the Best sounding amp i have owned.
Tjeck it out: www.hifi.net
I think it is not so well known eventhough it is an "old" company.

Thus far Vitus has it for me. Saw off the likes of Naim, Audio Research, Krell to name some. There are a few others I would like to hear before heading further up the Vitus ladder. The target is a SIA30 but it has previously been suggested that I should give Soulution a try because that could be up my street.

I am intrigued to hear the Audionet Stern and Heizenberg although I did try out last year an integrated from their stable (I can’t remember the model) but that left me disappointed.

Others I would like to hear include Tidal and perhaps from over the pond the likes of D’Agostino (spelling error probably!) and VTL.

I would also love to hear some Accuphase for good measure!

Best amps I have heard has been the Kondo Ongaku integrated and some of the Bakoon amplifiers.
I own a Bakoon Satri 5521 integrated myself .
I would be keen to hear the First Watt/Nelsen Pass SIT amps.One reviewer made the comment that the Bakoon and the SIT amps were the best amps he has heard and as high end as you can get despite the modest power outputs.

I use a pair of ART Alnico 8 loudspeakers. Over the 5 years I have had them my Pass Aleph 2s are the best match by some distance. In second place is a Plinius SA50 Mk3 which generally gets used in the Summer when the heat from the Alephs is a bit much.

Other amps from Naim, Gato, Rank Concept, Icon, and Marantz have been OK too.

EAR 509, worst amps I ever owned, despite the fresh Tim service.

How so, Simon? A synergy problem, perhaps, or just an unreliable pair (mk ones or twos)? Must admit, it took two services and some years for mine to totally settle down (valves, mainly), but I don't use them often.

Attend a Linn Klimax road show at Stereo Stereo Glasgow. The system consisted of 12 Klimax power amps. Will never forget the feeling of being transferred into the studio you could feel the air of the studio Buddy Holly's that is. Never experienced anything like it before or since. Was out my price range glad I heard it. Now have what I can say is the best amp for me I can have. A 10watt Pathos amp. This is my last system from buying hifi for over 40 years and it's the best.

Audio Innovations second 15 watt triode monoblocks . I had them for around 5/7 years approx in 4 addresses and to be honest I thought the sound could vary somewhat for whatever reasons. However on 2 occasions , playing into decca Kelly/ wilmslowe type speakers (bought from someone who built them) with voyd front end in a small bedroom there was an extraordinary level of transparency and musicality . The music appeared almost 'luminous ' causing me to feel somewhat euphoric . (No I was not pissed or anything). I was never able to replicate this though I did read in a review by George Enthwistle a similar description . FWIT I no longer use valves regularly as I feel uncomfortable re the class A energy use .

I had 2 pairs of these many moons ago, one for each driver of Audio Note E’s. The sound was truly magical with dynamics that almost hurt.

Pesky kids meant they had to go....:(

Mike, unacceptably physically and electrically noisy. I cant stand and hiss or hum and these were audibly from seated position. Just not for me. A full fresh Tim service didnt improve the noise any so I moved them on. Mk1s, Vinny bought them.

In own system Dartzeel nhb108 and nap500dr. In demo’s Martin Levinson’s top end kit. I also have huge respect for Avondale and what Les produces, amps and speaker matching is so important and his amps, particularly his latest designs are amazing with small and medium sized speakers. (I run a multi room set up).

For the money.. bonkers value and the M130 Qudos amps I run in one room are not incomparable in tone or transparency IMHO, if not ultimately grip and control to the NAP500 DR, particularly with big speakers. That’s insane when you consider the price point.

Slight change of perspective but some much less pricey amps were fantastic in that they 'upgraded' my system by several notches...creek 4040 in 1981, and the A.I. SET monoblocks in '88 were amazing. Outright 'best' valve amps were a Kondo system, and cheaper,
Leben's 300, one of my all time fave amps. To the OP, If the numbers come up It'll be a pair of class A monoblocks from Accuphase or Luxman, just because I trust both firms to sell me something to fit, forget and love. I can't name a best. It would be dependant on speakers and room interaction. (Pedant mode off) so if the speakers wanted it, a bridged pair of Accuphase A250's, tho just the 1 would be fine:).

To the OP, If the numbers come up It'll be a pair of class A monoblocks from Accuphase or Luxman, just because I trust both firms to sell me something to fit, forget and love. I can't name a best. It would be dependant on speakers and room interaction. (Pedant mode off) so if the speakers wanted it, a bridged pair of Accuphase A250's, tho just the 1 would be fine:).
Interesting that you categorise Accuphase and Luxman together. I know that cosmetically they look very similar, but they sound quite different. I love Accuphase, but I’m afraid Luxman does nothing for me.

Interesting that you categorise Accuphase and Luxman together. I know that cosmetically they look very similar, but they sound quite different. I love Accuphase, but I’m afraid Luxman does nothing for me.
They are not similar. I was trying to make the point that the choice would be room and speaker dependent. Luxman are more neutral, Accuphase a fuller richer sound IME, so name the speakers and make your choice. Mostly tho, I don't want an amp to do too much for me if I am happy with the speakers. :)

They are not similar. I was trying to make the point that the choice would be room and speaker dependent. Luxman are more neutral, Accuphase a fuller richer sound IME, so name the speakers and make your choice. Mostly tho, I don't want an amp to do too much for me if I am happy with the speakers. :)
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

advertisement

Back