advertisement

Best amps I ever heard

I think one conclusion is that people like expensive amps.
Well not everyone. The best amps I’ve ever heard - and I’ve heard plenty of extremely expensive ones - are also the best VFM ones, albeit they are DIY. Neurochrome amps are the most neutral and transparent I’ve ever heard. If you are talking commercially produced ones, I was very impressed with a system I heard at Cranage in 2018 that featured a Bakoon amp.

If we were to say « Best amp I ever heard » and would add « and still able to listen to it for 8 hours in a row without fatigue « my list would be different :

Nait 1 and 2
Naim NAC 32.5/Hicap/160 BD
Sugden A21A and a few of his brothers with similar tone
Sansui AU717

That’s about it !

Two most memorable systems I've heard were ARC VT200 into big Magnepans and late 80ies Jeff Rowland amps driving Proac Response 3s - both in well treated dealer rooms. As I've never had any truly good rooms myself I've tended to go for smaller systems in nearfield and the Leben CS300 is probably the most musically satisfying amp I've owned (and I have owned 47 Lab, Air Tight, ARC, BAT, Levinson, Rowland...) Owned two CS300s, sold them and regretted it..sure another one will appear again at some point

I agree on Neurochrome.
Have them in a 10 channel home built amp driving open baffle Linkwitz LX521 speakers.
Regarding standalone amps:
For the last year I have been regretting letting an intefrated Luxman L-509u go, as it was very good.
Then I got my hands on a Colin Wonfor designed Tellurium Q Iridium power amp.
Wow.
18w (actually just 9w into my 4 ohm speakers) of pure single ended class a magic.
Demanding of certain compromises, but once you listen no doubt remains that it is completely worth it.

I agree on Neurochrome.
Have them in a 10 channel home built amp driving open baffle Linkwitz LX521 speakers.
For the last year I have been regretting letting an intefrated Luxman L-509u go, as it was very good.
Wow.
18w (actually just 9w into my 4 ohm speakers) of pure single ended class a magic.
Demanding of certain compromises, but once you listen no doubt remains that it is completely worth it.

It should be 16W into 4 Ohm minimum.

Two most memorable systems I've heard were ARC VT200 into big Magnepans and late 80ies Jeff Rowland amps driving Proac Response 3s - both in well treated dealer rooms. As I've never had any truly good rooms myself I've tended to go for smaller systems in nearfield and the Leben CS300 is probably the most musically satisfying amp I've owned (and I have owned 47 Lab, Air Tight, ARC, BAT, Levinson, Rowland...) Owned two CS300s, sold them and regretted it..sure another one will appear again at some point

Apologies for potentially distracting this thread. I too am a fan of the little leben integrated. Can I ask which speakers you have successfully used it with. I am still looking for an ideal match for a second set up.

Apologies for potentially distracting this thread. I too am a fan of the little leben integrated. Can I ask which speakers you have successfully used it with. I am still looking for an ideal match for a second set up.

I used Devore Gibbon 8s to great effect; then also experimented with Audio Note AX-1s, ProAc SC and Snell K (later the basis for the AN-K) in my opinion the Snells didn’t work at all but the AX1s worked a treat for very little money. The ProAcs sounded beautiful but lacked a bit of welly - probably not the best match but quite listenable. But overall I’d say the little Leben makes almost everything sound good, is a great little amp

Shindo Vose-Romanee Pre and Cortese Power amp were a wonderful combo, as were Audio Note pre with Quest Silver Sigs. Best value for money imho is my current AN stand alone El84 power amp-outrageously good!!

Shindo Vose-Romanee Pre and Cortese Power amp were a wonderful combo, as were Audio Note pre with Quest Silver Sigs. Best value for money imho is my current AN stand alone El84 power amp-outrageously good!!

Do you have the SE or PP version of the AN EL84 amp ? I have been told it is excllent in both versions but perhaps even more magic in the SE version, but I haven't listened to either. the Leben EL84 i do know and love

Hi Cato. I have the P1SE Signature with upgraded C-Core transformers etc producing unbelievable bass with AN speakers. I’d love to hear the much respected Leben - maybe one day.

I agree on Neurochrome.
Wow.

A truly stunningly good speaker! Bloody amazing in fact! And I've "only" heard them with a big multi channel Yamaha amp. At a bake off where I heard these they made every other speaker, no matter how good, sound like they may as well be dropped off in a skip on the way home!

LFD
Lavardin
YBA
Spectral

LFD (PA0) has personally bested Exposure, Rega, Yamaha, and Hafler for my taste in listening, best described as preferring harmony, detail and warmth.
I'm sure there are better amps. I'm just not up to spending the money or time searching.

LFD
Lavardin
YBA
Spectral

This is for Solid State.
(I could add Naim NAP 180, Electrocompaniet ECI-1 and Densen DM10).

For tubes amp:
Radford STA 25/35;
Audio Note Oto;
Tube Technology Unisis;
JC Verdier
Leben CS300
Audio Research Classic 60

I can’t afford it but just by curiosity, did someone ever listened to a Dan D’Agostino ?

I saw one at Munich. Not sure if it was playing or not.
There is no way I would be able to overcome my expectation bias with that particular amp!!!

advertisement

Back